1. War is peace. Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength. Discuss: "UFC Fight Night 123: Swanson vs. Ortega" Live Discussion *Spoilers*. Prelims commence at 6:30 p.m. ET on Fight Pass.
    Dismiss Notice

The bitcoin thread.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by jokerthief, Dec 26, 2016.

1. jokerthief

jokerthief No reason to get excited. Site Donor

P.A.R.A.B.O.L.I.C

m1ckey kn0x likes this.
  2. Kevo

Kevo SMOKE BOMB!

Might go over 13000 today.

3. m1ckey kn0x

m1ckey kn0x deranged derelict Site Donor

4. jokerthief

The world crypto network just put out their daily bitcoin news show and "Bitcoin to 12K" is in the headline. Nope. Make that 13K. It's crazy how fast things move in bitcoin.

m1ckey kn0x likes this.
  5. Palma

Palma I am chaos

To me, it's not even about making money off it. I was trying to explain to my parents not to focus on a coin as a single demonation like a dollar or a euro. That's just the name they gave to a single unit. They're appalled by the idea that a dollar can be worth over $10k.

This is an ever changing world and I'm trying to stay in front of it by understanding the world of cryptocurencies. It's silly to me, to think this won't change the world in many different ways.

I remember when the world wide web was launched and some people bought the domains: safeway.com, macdonalds.com, chevron.com, etc before the big companies thought of it and they had to buy them for millions of dollars after. There is money to be had for sure, but it's more important to understand the changing world imo.

m1ckey kn0x and jokerthief like this.
  6. m1ckey kn0x

Utterly insane. It is at $13350+ right now. Brought me another $5k gain since just a few nights ago and almost brings me back to a 100% gain on my total investment. It's gaining so much steam and it's just getting started.

I feel very fortunate to have got in on this. I, too, am excited to see the changes it will make to the world.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
    jokerthief likes this.
  7. Kevo

Kevo SMOKE BOMB!

Yeah I'm gonna buy more I think
    --- Post Added -- Dec 6, 2017, ---
    @jokerthief is there any point in keeping ethereum or lite coin? Is there a chance it could spike upwards and I could cash out and make some money? Or should I just cash out everything right now, then use the profits I've made in btc to reinvest and buy more bitcoin?

m1ckey kn0x likes this.
  8. jokerthief

I'd put it all into bitcoin. I don't believe in ethereum at all, and I think Litecoin is basically just a testbed for bitcoin, so I expect bitcoin to continue to outperform it.

The real big problem with ethereum is that its main use-case is worthless. No one is using it for smart contracts. And why would they? Who the hell wants to "sign" a contract written in a language they can't read? Maybe this technology will become useful in 10 years, but RSK is set to launch soon, and that will give bitcoin the ability to write smart contracts in the same language as ethereum. So all the ethereum devs will be able to jump ship to RSK and write their smart contracts on the bitcoin network. Segwit allows for more innovation to be written upon the bitcoin blockchain too, so we may see something superior to RSK come along that has to do with smart contracts when and if they ever become viable.

The only use case of ethereum right now is ICOs. And 99% of ICOs are straight up scams whose sole intention is to steal people's money. Do you want to invest in something that's only current use-case is fraud?

I think it's possible that ethereum will have a massive crash once people start to realize that they've lost all their money on all these stupid ICOs. They'll have no more need for ether once they learn that lesson. I also think a lot of people in the ethereum development space will end up in prison for securities fraud. I don't know about you, but that's not the kind of thing I'd touch with a ten-foot pole.

Kevo likes this.
  9. Kevo

Kevo SMOKE BOMB!

Makes sense. Thank you.

I don't really have the capitol to keep buying more and more btc, but I can cash out completely and then use the profits to buy more. Do you have any idea what the tax implications are for that? Is that a dumb way to go about it, should I just suck it up and buy more as I go instead of cashing out?

10. jokerthief

What are you cashing out? Bitcoin or ethereum?

11. Kevo

Kevo SMOKE BOMB!

I'm going to cash out ethereum and litcoin for sure, and convert that to bitcoin. What I'm wondering, is if I should then cash out ALL my bitcoin since I've made profit, and use that to buy more. Am I overthinking it?

12. m1ckey kn0x

$13,900!

This shit is about to break $14k
    That only works if the price goes back down enough for you to buy back in in order to benefit from it. Which in this case with Bitcoin is working out very well for a lot of people out there, but it is gambling. Otherwise you are just paying taxes and fees for no reason.

You might as well just invest whatever you possibly can and sit on it. It is scary to really go in but I am already regretting the fact I didn't grab more at $10k, and I knew I would. It still has so much to gain even if you're only planning on making a short term trade.

What I think I am going to try and do personally is put what bitcoin I can aside to hold onto for the long run and sell one at the the right time for a small fortune and to cover my investment.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
    Kevo likes this.
  13. jokerthief

I guess I don't follow you here. It sounds to me like you're saying you want to cash out bitcoin to buy bitcoin. You'd get less bitcoin if you were to do that. You'd have to repay exchange fees, you'd get a worse price in a rising market, and you'd create a taxable event (and worst of all, it would be a short-term capital gains taxable event, which is taxed at a higher rate than long-term capital gains.)

14. Kevo

Kevo SMOKE BOMB!

Awesome ok yea I'm an idiot. Thanks for the info. I'll sit tight, and see if I can buy more.

15. m1ckey kn0x

We broke $14k. Currently $14151.

Madness

16. Tapout

Tapout Bringing Sexy Back Site Donor

14.1k :popcorn:keep it going!

17. jokerthief

It's interesting to note that bcash is down 6.3% today. Bcash has lost over half its value in terms of bitcoin since I made this post. I'm thinking we're seeing the Bitmex dump of bcash into bitcoin right now.

18. m1ckey kn0x

19. jokerthief

Here's a great lecture on the antifragility of Bitcoin. You should all subscribe to Jimmy Song's channel btw. He's one of the best thinkers in the bitcoin space.

Someone just sent Andreas Antonopolous 37 BTC ($520,000). If you don't know who Andreas is, you should google the fuck out of him. He's basically the Bitcoin Jesus. He's been on Rogan's podcast like 4 times. That's probably the best introduction to bitcoin one could get if you watched all four in order.

No one deserves this more, save perhaps Satoshi Nakamoto (but he already has a million bitcoin).
    What a crazy fucking day in Bitcoin.

m1ckey kn0x and Tapout like this.
  20. m1ckey kn0x

Holy fucking shit.

Good morning, 15 and 16k.

18 and 19k!

Coinbase has currently disabled bitcoin purchases.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017 at 11:17 AM
    Kevo likes this.