1. It’s not a thirst for blood, not at all—but an astonishment, an appreciation for the capabilities of a human that bares his soul naked for the art of combat using strictly his body. That’s entertainment. "UFC Fight Night 139: Korean Zombie vs. Rodríguez" Live Discussion *Spoilers*. Prelims begin at 7:00 p.m. ET on Fight Pass.
    Dismiss Notice

The Bible is.....

Discussion in 'Politics and Religion' started by TheDW, Sep 8, 2008.

?

the bible is...

1. the truth

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. a book of fairy tales

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. I have no idead

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. TheDW

TheDW New Member

whats your opinion?

2. Poindexter

Poindexter Reputation: ∞ Staff Member

What is "no idead"?

3. Surfrock66

Surfrock66 The Tirade Masta

There needs to be an option for "A good book with a lot of interesting stories that is pure fiction."

4. William Munny

William Munny Well-Known Member

a good read.

5. Taste Testing Tannehill’s Fart Box

Taste Testing Tannehill’s Fart Box Ninja

6. TheDW

TheDW New Member

no idea with a typo on the end :eek:so:

7. 2mcgrath

2mcgrath The Ace up our sleeve..

is true

8. Afro

Afro The Autumn Wind is a Raider

its a book of fairytales explaining something true.. for the most part.. a lot of it is stuff written in there to manipulate I believe.

9. Harlem Hustler

Harlem Hustler Dont argue, I'm always right!

Can you or anyone find one bit of evidence that it's true?

Honestly I believe most people are lying when they say they truely think the Bible is real.

If somebody comes to you or anybody and says God talked to him through a donkey, you would think he's insane. If someone said he could part waters, make blind men see, and raise dead people, you would say he's lying.

if people would denounce some nut saying he can heal people then and God talks to him, then why can't most people question the Bible? Because people are products of their environment and have been told be society, parents, friends, reverends, ect. that the Bible is the truth mixed in with a little propaganda one can be convinced.

It would be the same if we were born in India or any muslim country. If the national religion is Islam, Hindu, Greek Myth, or Egyptology, most people would believe in it.

10. Gr8_White_Rabbit

Gr8_White_Rabbit GnP that Diverticulitis

The Bible is much differant than how it was originally assembled. Several councils were held around 200 A.D. to remove several books from the bible. I would like to know what happened to Jesus from ages 12-30 something. The dude just didn't just dissappear.

11. Mastershake

Mastershake There once was a man-----

Its not MMA so I dont give a shit. Once Jesus steps into a cage I will care.

12. FrankieButNotEdgar

FrankieButNotEdgar Well-Known Member Site Donor

This thread is utterly offensive.

13. Harlem Hustler

Harlem Hustler Dont argue, I'm always right!

Why? This whole PR section offends somebody once and a while.

14. Mastershake

I stand by my statment once Jesus comes back again and fights in a cage I will care

15. FrankieButNotEdgar

FrankieButNotEdgar Well-Known Member Site Donor

I find the idea of the Bible being fairly tales or lies ludicrous and I won't participate in debating it.

People are sitting behind their keyboards and making fun of something they don't understand and it's playing with fire.

16. Surfrock66

Surfrock66 The Tirade Masta

Jesus v. Satan, Jesus wins by KO while on his knees from across the ring at 4:52 in the third. Mysteriously, Satan, the only person betting on Jesus to win at 1:100,000 odds, makes over $40 billion.

17. Mastershake

South Park

18. CrunkJuice

CrunkJuice King of the Dirty South

Look I have Written on a Few pages about this. I feel that the Traditions Humanity Have Passed Down to Us through Stories that in the end are about peace and love and wisdom for a moral life, and have been part of the human experience since the beginning of our History. Even though Men Pervert things as soon as they put their hands on something, many parts of the bible were added and removed and finally canonized. The point should be more that all of those Historical Documents and Stories from that Generation Trying to Teach us how to live should be respected and studied with all religious text in a scholarly manner but should respect the faith that people put into these documents because of the good they have done, just because evil men and even not so evil men have done atrocious things in the name of religion is no reason to toss aside texts that teach peace . Also, I believe there is One God, I believe what I believe because of where I grew up....I believe God Set the Universe in Motion and as a result directly set my involvement as the universed is a perfectly scientific algorithm. I believe each of us believe what we believe because of what he has shown us, and my understanding is that God Can save any righteous man he wants regardless of anything including there religion. I am not trying to be a heretic, I am just telling you my view to maybe help some of those who are less entrenched and believe in Science and Religion without a disconnect. The way I see it is below:

Originally Posted by TheDW View Post
    Dear Butch,

Do you believe that the stories in the bible are actual accurate records of events that happened in the past? or are they more akin to fairy tales?

Your Fren,

DW
    Dear DeeDubya,

I believe that the Bible was written by men to describe ancient traditions some of which were meant more literal, and some where metaphors and oral tradition stories that have existed as part of the human experience and collective conscience, like the flood stories. Those are also the type of stories that some supposedly discredit the Ancient Text with. However, these are the type of stories that have been passed down from the beginning of humanity in oral history.....or in other words our Stories that predate recorded history even before the birth of the Abrahamic Religions . The brilliance of our Religion when not perverted by the special interest of men and institutions, is astoundingly based toward love and acceptance of one another. Very simple instructions are layed out originally in the Torah, The Laws of Leviticus like nonkosher food and stuff like that were all traditions in that area because of the existence of certain diseases and economic needs of the era. These laws ended up getting perverted by the powers that be, and that is were Jesus comes in and simplifies. Jesus was pretty much the community organizer, preacher, and protester that came along and simplified the law by saying more or less follow the 10 commandments and love your neighbor, and believe in one God. Revelations wasn't considered worth canonizing by people like Martin Luther, but I would say that most of Revelations was about the Roman Empire and happened already in the first century (Look up Preterist).

The Bible, according to my Religion professor at Presbyterian College Dr. Melton who has taught seminary at Erskine College for 30 yrs and is obviously a Preacher as well, always told me that the Bible was meant to be studied and viewed in a historical perspective. The Stories in the Bible are often Metaphors and Social Commentaries on the times, like the letters of the apostles. When you look at the intent of stories in the context of their own time it is easier to see that the whole point is just to be a good person and citizen. Also, people should above all have the ability to have a relationship with God and their spiritual side above denomination.

God created the world and everything in it. We can see some of his code in mathematics and science, and we see some of his control mechanisms in evolution. The Universe was created in 7 days, but the Bible is not a legal document defining how many hours a day was in the beginning of time, you feel me? Religion and Science are not in opposition, the powers that be want you to believe that they are because anything to divide the people serves the powers interest because men divided are easier to control through compartmentalization. Because we are ultimately a product of our environment( Look at Sociology), I believe that God Created our Environment and In turn set the world in motion as a balanced equation and the end was never in doubt.....therefore in my opinion everything happens for a reason.

Scholarly, B.C.

19. Mastershake

I have not been struck down with lightning yet. Because god is not real

I am not going to worship a crazy guy, whose mother told him he was the son of god. She had sex before she was supposed to get married and freaked out, so she said oh god blessed me with a child. I know everyone says science is wrong but women can not get pregnant without little spermies having something to do with it. I mean come on was Hercules really the son of Zeus or is there no possible way that Zeus was real.

Oh and Hunter for some reason your debating it.

20. CrunkJuice

CrunkJuice King of the Dirty South

Speaking of People thinking they are Jesus....What happened to your Boy Evan Tanner. He thought he could wander in the desert for 40 days and defeat the devil. Only problem, the Fasting and the fact that its the Desert.