The Avengers

Discussion in 'Movie, TV, & Video Games' started by Tapout, Jul 25, 2010.

1. Bran

Bran The wolf dead.

bar none, Sin City is the best comic adaptation, imo

2. ILJO

ILJO Soggy Bottom Boy Site Donor

I don't read comics and I don't even know what qualifies as an adaptation, but Watchmen is definitely my favorite movie to originate from a comic

3. foundstarr

foundstarr Inspector SpaceTime Site Donor

Watchmen, now shut your whore mouth MBC is coming.

4. Bran

Bran The wolf dead.

Sin City is the only movie ever made thats panel for panel what the source material is, and its probably the most well cast comic adaptation as well. nothing else is even close, imo

5. Ninjastix

Ninjastix Damn Gina Site Donor

Well I personally if the interpretation or adaptation is as strong as the original material while deviating I'm fine with that, the bottom line isn't necessarily to reproduce something as much as it is to re-interpret it.

I think Watchmen has several scenes that were so well crafted and adapted that they actually bring the source material to life in a way the graphic novel didn't. But it had several others that didn't translate as well and an overall narrative that never found momentum in the movie the same way it did in the novel. We also live in time without the cold war where mutually assured destruction isn't on everyone's mind as much as runaway global warming.

I never read the Sin City graphic novels and I only read V for Vendetta after I saw the film, but as standalone films, as their own works they're both fantastic in both how they look and the execution of their storylines. Sin City especially, Micky Rourke should have been nominated for an Oscar, that character Marv was as good as it was because Rourke pulled it off perfectly.

And personally, I've never given a shit about Batman, he's probably been my least favorite comic entity along with Spiderman for their morality clauses. It just doesn't resonate with me in any way the psychology of either one, but as a film, as a character, as a story, and in terms of performances, for me, The Dark Knight is the best comic-related film I've ever seen. As much as I love Sin City, V, and Watchmen, nothing beats that film for the way it looks and the way it plays. Not to mention Ledger is absolutely captivating the entire time.

6. William Munny

William Munny Well-Known Member

I don't know, I may be going against the literal definition of "adaption," but I don't consider Sin City an adaption for that very reason. It's just the comic book brought to life. It's a great movie, but nothing was changed really from comic to big screen.

7. foundstarr

I guess I'm arguing semantics at this point, but SinCity was a shot for shot remake not an adaptation.

8. Bran

Bran The wolf dead.

its absolutely an adaptation in the most literal sense. an adaptation brings a work from one medium to another. nothing from comics to film has been adapted as well as Sin City. there have been better movies, sure. and better reimaginings, but not a better adaptation.

Sin City managed to put, literally, everything from the books. on top of that, between the music and performances, it only served to heighten the source material. by definition, nothing is even close to as good of an adaptation.

9. jesusatemyhotdog

jesusatemyhotdog Welcome to the machine.

Because they are judging the movies as movies.

Nolan is a master craftsman.

10. foundstarr

I agree about Nolan, and could see the confusion. Its just that Nolan's Batman, isn't anything close to the comics Batman. It really isn't. Although in the final movie, I would love to see some aspect of Bruce's detective abilities used.

11. jesusatemyhotdog

jesusatemyhotdog Welcome to the machine.

I just don't care about the Batman comics when I'm watching a Batman movie. As long as nobody Schumacher's it, I am fine.

12. foundstarr

Amen, and I would never have said anything because the movies are awesome if a direct and incorrect correlation wasn't drawn.

13. foundstarr

14. Virtualpurple

Virtualpurple Go Team Venture!

I really enjoyed this movie. Well worth the money.

15. casualMMAdude

casualMMAdude New Member

didnt read the whole thread, and honestly kicking myself for not seeing it yet, but has anyone mentioned how f-n awesome the animated-ultimate avengers movie is? i grabbed it the other day, mainly for my 3 yr old kid, went in on the credits rolling to him crying his eyes out sayin the hulk was too scary......... so naturally i had to watch it the next day, and yea, the hulk just went on the biggest rampage ive ever seen in a cartoon.....he literally had the entire team on the brink of death.... i figure seeing the hulk beat up all the good guys is what upset him haha...do yourself a favor and pick it up if you haven't already

16. Tapout

Tapout Bringing Sexy Back Site Donor

I was there, I saw this....holy fuck! So good, so crazy.

http://io9.gizmodo.com/the-first-footage-from-avengers-infinity-war-blows-awa-1796948476/amp

sourdough likes this.
  17. sourdough

sourdough Sourdough Site Donor Asst. Bookie

I bought a special edition DVD that came with a comic of Marv's story. It was re-imagined on screen absolutely perfectly. I wouldn't change a single thing to make it more pure to the source material. I loved the movie when I watched in the theater but definitely appreciated it more after I read some of the source material.

18. Bran

Bran The wolf dead.

I have that same collection. Adds in a couple small scenes that didn't make the theatrical cut. Also cuts the movie into 4 standalone stories. Great to have

Poindexter likes this.
  19. Sakara=Excitement

Sakara=Excitement Live.Love.Learn Site Donor

This is not a drill people

Bran, sourdough and Spoon like this.
  20. FrankieButNotEdgar

FrankieButNotEdgar Well-Known Member Site Donor

That looked absolutely incredible.