The Avengers

Discussion in 'Movie, TV, & Video Games' started by Tapout, Jul 25, 2010.

1. PatsWillPoundMyProlapsedChin

PatsWillPoundMyProlapsedChin Well-Known Member Site Donor

Gotta retract this statement. Ruffalo was good as Banner.

2. ArMnHC

ArMnHC Great Chimdale County Man

just saw the movie today, it was awesome!

3. Ninjastix

Ninjastix Damn Gina Site Donor

Adam Sandler could have played him, that's how good the CG action was.

1. It looked phenomenal
    2. You could actually read all the action as it happened, it wasn't a seizure of action
    3. The voice and shout was perfect

4. foundstarr

foundstarr Inspector SpaceTime Site Donor

<iframe src="http://www.collegehumor.com/e/6766131" width="600" height="338" frameborder="0" webkitAllowFullScreen allowFullScreen></iframe>

5. Tapout

Tapout Bringing Sexy Back Site Donor

Anyone else love that Tony Stark & Bruce Bannar are friends in the end and drive off together. That was a nice moment there.

6. Nebraska

Nebraska Poindexter For President NFL S.P. Champion Site Donor

Saw it in theaters tonight. Even more amazing. I can't even remember my second complaint about the movie. The score was nothing special, but that's the only criticism I have.

Not to start a Marvel vs DC war or anything, but Bane's voice was terrifying in the movie theater. Tom Hardy is going to own that movie.

7. Ninjastix

The Bane/Batman scenes in the trailer, seemed very rapey to me. And I have a feeling I'm going to owe ScarJo an apology after Hathaway's catwoman. That role seems perfect for Zoe Saldana. Excited to see if Nolan kills Batman.

8. Nebraska

Batman will still be alive when the credits role.

9. PatsWillPoundMyProlapsedChin

I was reading an article earlier where they debate whether or not "Dark Knight Rises" beats the 200 million dollar record set by "Avengers." I don't think it's even remotely possible considering it's not going to be in 3-D getting that extra bump in ticket prices. They said more than half of "Avengers" ticket sales were in 3-D so they got a strong lead in that department.

10. jesusatemyhotdog

jesusatemyhotdog Welcome to the machine.

It will beat it.

Although not in 3D, it is the most extensively IMAX shot feature film ever. It will get a price bump from its IMAX showings.

11. Nebraska

I agree with the almighty lord on this one. TDKR is still the one to beat.

12. PatsWillPoundMyProlapsedChin

I hope it does. Nothing against "Avengers" but Nolan's Batman series is the greatest comic adaptation, IMO with "Dark Knight" being my favorite. Tom Hardy as Bane has a real shot to usurp Ledger's Joker performance. I'm just pissed it's not coming out until the end of July.

13. Ninjastix

The IMAX shots in the The Dark Knight are breathtaking, I imagine TDKR will surpass those. It should be close, I think The Avengers is definitely going to bring in more families and the TDKR isn't going to have the Heath Ledger-boom it had with people wanting to see one of his final performances. But at the same time this is the last of the Batman series so it might off set.

14. jesusatemyhotdog

TDKR will have a lot more repeated viewings, though. Nolan's films always have sublety and nuance that make repeated viewings very worth while. Fan boys will see it 4 or 5 times in its opening weekend.

15. Ninjastix

I don't watch many movies after I've seen them once, newer movies especially, I'll buy them and never watch but really the major exception is The Dark Knight. It's one of the few recent films that I can revisit again and again because of how well it's made, and how great the performances are. Nolan makes exceptional pictures, I can't imagine this being an exception, but it's not like it's a slight against the film if it doesn't break every box office record.

Especially when these films are about as dark as you can make a film and still land a PG-13 rating and The Dark Knight is going to hold up for generations because of the performances of Ledger and Oldman.

16. ILJO

ILJO Soggy Bottom Boy Site Donor

I fully expect Batman to be a better movie, but I think Avengers appealed to a larger audience (since it's more of an action/comedy and Batman is more dark/dramatic).

So I think unless they release it at a time where not much else is going on and people don't really have any decent alternatives, then it won't beat the Avengers

17. Ninjastix

18. jesusatemyhotdog

TKDR is still the sequel to the 3rd highest grossing North American and 10th biggest global release of all time. It will beat it. And as far as alternatives, no studios are opening anything directly competitive with TKDR within anything closer than 3 weeks before (Spiderman) and really not much after it other than the new Bourne movie 3 weeks after and I doubt that does much to its bottom line.

Last edited: May 8, 2012
  19. ILJO

ILJO Soggy Bottom Boy Site Donor

Well you sound like you know what you're talking about, so you're probably right. I was just going by the buzz created in my area. It seemed like everyone and their mothers went to see this movie. It may very well just be that Avengers was much more recent, but I don't remember Batman being quite like this

But yeah, I haven't actually looked at any numbers or anything so I'm not claiming to actually know what I'm talking about lol

20. foundstarr

foundstarr Inspector SpaceTime Site Donor

I don't understand why people who don't read comic books or know anything about source material say stuff like this. First its Nolan's version of Batman's no one elses, so while it is awesome. Its not really an adaptation of any ongoing or really any previous Batman title. Its Nolan's Batman, not anyone elses. Thats part of why the movies are so special, and Watchmen is the best comic adaptation to date. By a very wide margin.