Teen daughter of GOP VP pick is pregnant

Discussion in 'Politics and Religion' started by Poindexter, Sep 1, 2008.

1. Poindexter

Poindexter Reputation: ∞ Staff Member

Source

I can't see how this is a plus for McCain. This, and the fact that the hurricane is fucking up the RNC events and prohibiting Bush and Cheney from even attending just makes it seem like perhaps fate is not in ol' John's favor.

[​IMG]

2. jesusatemyhotdog

jesusatemyhotdog Welcome to the machine.

This really shouldn't have any bearing on the election. I know it will, but it shouldn't.

A teenage Catholic girl that likes to fuck without protection is as common as sunshine. And twice as fun.

Kano likes this.
  3. Poindexter

Poindexter Reputation: ∞ Staff Member

:clap:

4. Noob

Noob www.myspace.com/mmaspot

Isn't that Corinthians 19:12?

I kid. But yes, this should be a nonexistent issue but will be played up in the media and sensationalized.

Go teenage hormones.

5. Krazikarl

Krazikarl Cthulhu fhtagn

Smart move to release this info during the Hurricane. It should minimize the impact of this.

For most people I dont think this would be that big of a deal, but Palin's whole thing is pro family, family values type stuff. This behavior contradicts what she talks about the whole time. Plus it kind of makes me roll my eyes since shes a big abstinence only person, which makes this pretty ironic.

Given that Palin's whole thing was having the moral high ground and being an example of conservative values, this isnt going to help her at all. Then again, I dont think its a much of a deal at all personally, and these big time right wing Christian groups are good at ignoring things when they like, so this wont really shake things up that much.

6. chrisc

chrisc Ninja

How does her daughter getting pregnant contradict her views on pro family and family values type stuff? I'm pretty sure she didn't tell her daughter it's ok to go out and have sex and get pregnant.

Again, what her daughter does shouldn't reflect her mother's conservative values. MY wife's parents are big time conservatives/catholics, and she got pregnant with our first baby at 17. Are her parents still big time conservatives and catholics with family values? Of course, nothing changes that. Her daughter getting pregnant doesn't change Palin's ideas or views, I highly doubt she agrees with her daughter getting pregnant. (at least her daughter made the right decision to keep the baby, and even getting married, which speaks highly of her IMO)

7. thebwit

thebwit Guest

It's interesting to note that Bristol is 5 months pregnant, and that Palin's son is 4 months old, and people are claiming that the newborn is really Bristol's kid. Should be interesting in 4 months if Bristol does in fact have a child, or if it is longer.

And this is horrible for McCain. All the families saying that the morals of today's youth are gone and what not and her teenage daughter goes out and get's pregnant...

8. Gr8_White_Rabbit

Gr8_White_Rabbit GnP that Diverticulitis

God fordbid that a kid makes a mistake on life. I'm sure that everyone here is just like thier parents and follow thier beliefs to a T. This is a non-issue.

9. chrisc

chrisc Ninja

It would be different if she had an abortion, didn't know who the father is or hated each other, but she is being responsible, which says a lot about her and how she was raised. A teenager getting pregnant isn't the worst thing in the world, as long as they are going to be responsible and do the right thing which it seems like she is.

10. TheDW

TheDW New Member

LMAO

11. Krazikarl

Krazikarl Cthulhu fhtagn

The contradiction arises because she is being used as an example by the party of somebody who follows certain idas and methods. She and the other far right conservatives preach certain practices as solutions to family problems, to the exclusion of supposedly more "liberal" practices. When these practices clearly fail like this, one must strongly question the validity of such practices.

For example, abstinence only ideas. This idea has been shown to be less than successful by studies, yet super conservatives like Bush and Palin spend a lot of money on these programs, to the exclusion of other programs that are more successful. When these ideas clearly and spectacularily fail in the case of somebody who is preaching them and is supposed to be an exemplar, one must really have strong doubts about what these people are saying.

Palin was also seen as a source of great moral authority on family issues. When she has substantial problems within her own family, her ability to preach her solutions is greatly reduced.

I'm not really upset about anything morally here, I'm just saying that maybe people should consider other ideas concerning families instead of buying everything that Palin and people like her (fairly far right Christians) say. How much people listen to Palin's ideas on raising a family must be greatly reduced, and that was one of her big supposed strengths.

12. chrisc

chrisc Ninja

I don't see what's wrong though. Yes a 17 yr old is pregnant, but her and the father are doing the responsible thing, which I think you can contribute to how Palin has raised her.

You're acting as if Palin got pregnant as a 17 year old. Obviously abstinence isn't for everyone. Doesn't Obama go to church? Doesn't the church preach to give to others and not live in excess? Doesn't Obama have a cousin in Africa starving and homeless or something? Because Palin spends money and believes abstinence is the key (which it is) her own daughter not practicing abstience shouldn't directly reflect her. You can only od so much with kids.

The problem- a 17 year old became pregnant. The solution- the 17 year old female and the father are getting married and being responsible for the problem. What is the big deal?

I guess we just disgree. But I'm sure your right and I'm wrong. You are the great Karl.

13. Krazikarl

Krazikarl Cthulhu fhtagn

Exactly. BUT people like Palin are preaching that it IS for everybody and are funding programs that say it is to the exclusion of other programs. This is a problem and that was my point.

Obama may go to Church and that Church probably preaches some form of abstinence, but hes not out there saying that we need to cut back on programs that teach other methods than abstinence because his personal church teaches something.

People forcing their religious and moral views on others through funding issues like this really annoy me (especially when those methods contradict what studies suggest is best). When the flaws in the methods are highlighted like this, it has to make you stop and think.

Because the two basically being forced to get married doesnt "fix" the problem. Kids in this situation where the parents are essentially forced to be married before they are ready (almost certainly ready anyway) are not in a great situation in general. They may be doing the best they can with a bad situation, but that still doesnt make everything OK here.

I'm just saying that what happened here is not good. Im not morally upset or anything, I'm just saying that in general you dont want 17 year old high school juniors getting pregnant and having to get married. The ideas that Palin had about avoiding this situation are not at all supported by studies or now by her own experiences.

When somebody has a fairly noticable imperfection in their own family, they also lose much of their ability to run on the merits of their family like Palin is doing.

14. chrisc

chrisc Ninja

They are preachign it is best for everybody, which it is, You show me a better way not to become pregnant then abstinence.

That's nice, where did I say anything about Obama and abstinence?

I was under the impression everyone thought abstinence was the best way not to get pregnant, not just religous people?

15. Krazikarl

Krazikarl Cthulhu fhtagn

Studies have shown the abstinence only teaching are NOT the best teachings for kids to not get pregnant. Sure if kids followed the teachings it would work out best, but thats not what happens here in reality.

The best program is the most effective program. And abstinence only is certainly NOT the most effective program, because as we all know, teens are going to have sex no matter what they are taught in Church/school.

Your stuff falls apart because it only applies in theory and not here in reality. In reality where teens dont follow teachings exactly, abstinence only is not very effective, while teaching that include abstinence, condoms etc work much better.

The question is whether or not they would have gotten married this quickly if there was no baby. I say almost certainly not. Thus, they were forced into the marriage in part by the baby.

Very few 17 year olds are ready for a baby/marriage. Maybe these kids are exceptions. I'm going with the overwhelming likelihood though.

Ah yes, so because I believe that a family with a kid having a baby while in high school is less than perfect, I must be single. Strong argument there.

This is a BIG imperfection in the family, much larger than most families have (that I'm familiar with anyway).

PS - I'm not single, thanks.

I address the point that I feel best advance the discussion. If I had to respond to every sentence that everybody typed ever my posts would quickly get VERY long, nobody would read them, and the main argument would be lost. If you feel I skipped a major point of your, fine, point that out. Otherwise stop whining.

16. The Sundance Kid

The Sundance Kid Outlaw Staff Member

Her daughter will have nothing to do with running this country.

This will have a UBER small or no effect on the overall election.

17. Clint

Clint Administrator Staff Member

Waiting for the accussation that Palin was chosen for VP because of the relationship between her daughter and the McCain aide in 5...4...3...2...

18. Krazikarl

Krazikarl Cthulhu fhtagn

Yes, I agree with Sundance that this will have almost nothing to do with the election result. It just means that Palin has to mute down some of her stuff for at least a few weeks.

19. jesusatemyhotdog

jesusatemyhotdog Welcome to the machine.

Well this is encouraging:

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/09/01/obama.palin/index.html#cnnSTCText

20. Krazikarl

Krazikarl Cthulhu fhtagn

Well yes, Obama could never go anywhere near this issue. Insulting your opponent's 17 year old daughter is never going to work.