Teacher fired for not giving half credit for nothing turned in

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by chrisc, Sep 28, 2018.

1. Sakara=Excitement

Sakara=Excitement Live.Love.Learn Site Donor

When did I say it wasn't correct? I just think it should be titled differently.

2. chrisc

chrisc Ninja

Feel free to make another thread and rename it then

Sakara=Excitement likes this.
  3. Sakara=Excitement

That would be redundant and wasteful. Geez.

4. Dimson

Dimson Your tears don't fall...

It isn't click bait it is called making an attention grabbing headline.

Miz and chrisc like this.
  5. Sakara=Excitement

Isn't that the definition of click bait?

6. Dimson

No. Click bait to me is giving an article a title that has little to nothing to do with the content of the article.

7. Sakara=Excitement

I just went by the dictionary's definition.

"(on the Internet) content whose main purpose is to attract attention and encourage visitors to click on a link to a particular web page."

8. Bran

Bran The wolf dead.

It’s definitely clickbait and it’s a very misleading title. If you have a problem with the policy, fine, post an article about that. But it’s a total bullshit title that tells a story different than the actual one.

9. chrisc

chrisc Ninja

Title: Teacher fired for not giving half credit when no assignment is turned in.

Actual story: Teacher doesn’t give half credit when no assignment is turned in. Teacher learns of district policy that no student can receive less than 50% on any given assignment. Teacher refuses to abide by policy and continues to give zeros if no assignment is turned in. Teacher is fired.

I think we’re gonna need more characters to fit that in the title
    --- Post Added -- Oct 2, 2018, ---
    I’ve never read the headline of “Florida man arrested for breaking the law” instead of “Florida man high on bath salts eats a person’s face “

10. Bran

Bran The wolf dead.

And I guess that Inglorious Basterds was about the American military trying to kill some Austrian painter.

Sakara=Excitement and Noise like this.
  11. chrisc

chrisc Ninja

Sure

Dimson likes this.
  12. Noise

Noise Ruido

:rofl:

13. Miz

Miz mortality, ka, and the Tower

District policy. And a good one IMO.

14. chrisc

chrisc Ninja

Really? Even giving students a 50% if they turn nothing at all in?

15. Miz

Miz mortality, ka, and the Tower

I worked in education for 12 years up until June. The typical student is going to do their work and make more than that. A young man or woman who makes some bad choices will still be in the game if given a 50 percent. Give them a zero and they are drowning and might not be able to come back. Some teachers do it anyway with a curve. Don’t kill a kid. I was a sped teacher so I see it differently. I was always helping a kid tread water. No reason to sink them.
    Again the average kid makes well above a 50 percent. This helps the kid who might quit school.

16. Qball1974

Qball1974 Tower of Song Site Donor

I'm torn, always willing to give a helping hand.

Then gets abused by lazy people.

Dimson and Miz like this.
  17. Dimson

I think grading homework is dumb anyways. Homework is practice, there is no need for it to be graded at all.

18. AnchorPunch

AnchorPunch Well-Known Member Site Donor

@chrisc and @Sakara=Excitement should both get zeros :)

So what do you all think school is for? Something I've struggled with is that I believe we've had a credentialing arms race that has put people through more years of school than they often need. At the same time, we refuse to teach public school students about real jobs and real life, so if their parents don't instill motivation to succeed in life via schooling then too bad because they can't get that lesson at school.

So I don't know why they're in school other than I'd like people to read, write, and do basic life stuff. And, in that case, I don't even know why we have grades.

Kevo likes this.
  19. Noise

Noise Ruido

The only demographic I hate more than kids and parents are teachers, so this is a double win for a nigga :popcorn:. #APEstatic #GangGang #FOURPOINTOhDuntGrowntTFup #FreeMusk #ELONorDIE

20. Rise

Rise Well-Known Member

Doesn't it also effectively teach a kid how to skate by though ?

I know in high school and even college to an extent I barely passed a few courses not because they were hard but because I couldn't be bothered to try harder and likely missed out on things. That 50% for doing nothing to me would have just made it so much easier to do so.

It would make more sense for me to force the kid to make up the missed work in some way or fail them ultimately