strife's log

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by strife, Sep 15, 2008.

1. tick

tick is banned?

How is your shoulder feeing with all of this? Do you have any concern (fear?) that you are just going to hurt it again?

2. strife

strife I

None, however the thought of it does cross my mind everytime I'm put in some form of Americana, Kimura, or shoulder lock with my right arm.

3. strife

strife I

Well guys, i just badly sprained my ankle or something from playing touch football. Didn't bother me at all after the game until an hour ago. I can barely walk now, might of sprained my achilles tendon. Won't see many entries from me for a while probably.

4. ChrisAM

ChrisAM New Member

So strife I saw a bunch of Total Cage Combat commercials tonight durning the EliteXC show, Joe getting Frank Mir to do a seminar?

5. strife

strife I

More than likely, haven't been to class in a week due to injuries and illness but I'm pretty sure since GSP did one that Mir will too. I can't wait to meet Mir, I'm really excited.

6. strife

strife I

Finally got to lift again after 2 1/2 weeks off due to illness and injury, needless to say I felt weaker than ever.

Workout for Friday (10/10)

Sprint Squats (3x6 with 30 second sprints (12.0 on treadmill) after reps) - These were quite interesting; read somewhere that sprinting after sets increased weight by up to 15% or something like that. Needless to say I was fucking DRAINED after these and I won't be doing them this coming Friday. I'm all for MAX effort lifting but fuck Sprint Squats. 205 all 3 sets.

Push Press 3x6 - 100lbs. all 3 sets (overhead pressing is always going to be my weakest set of lifts; I have either long arms or long forearms, I can't tell which)
    *Superset with 3x10 close grip pushups.

Bent Over Row 3x10- 60 lbs. (usually due upwards to 95 lbs each arm but decided to go more controlled today compared to more explosive usually)

Push-up position planks 3x60 seconds
    *Superset with 3x10 Supermans

Workout for Monday (10/13)

DB Overhead Press 3x10 - (Warm-up: 25 lbs 12 reps) 35 lbs 1st and second sets, 30 lbs 3rd

Front Squat 3x6 - 135lbs all 3 sets

T-bar row 3x10 - 125 lbs all 3 sets

Hanging Leg raise 3x12

As always, comments are welcomed.

7. Rufio

Rufio New Member

Front squats are the shit. Very hard to keep ahold of the bar though. I usually rely on the smith machine when I do them.

8. strife

strife I

Screw the Smith machine, real men use a Squat Rack with a barbell!

9. Rufio

Rufio New Member

I don't really care about being a "real man." And I use a squat rack with a barbell for normal squats. For front squats, it's very painful having the bar digging into my shoulders and it could be dangerous if I lost balance without a spotter. With the smith machine, it's easier to go heavy and deep at the same time. I've gone to failue on smith squats before, which I couldn't imagine doing without someone to spot me using a squat rack.

10. strife

strife I

So find a spotter! Anyone would be willing to, ask staff if you have to dude. I actually have very negative feelings towards the smith machine and won't use it for anything but calf raises (which I don't do, but I used to before I learned they are pretty much useless). I don't like the alignment it forces you into and know it's horrible for your back because of this, particularly with back squats.

11. Rufio

Rufio New Member

I don't consider calve raises useless. Calves are your most genetically determined body part which makes some people give up on them, but they actually can grow. It's just slower than most body parts. Personally though, my calves grow faster than my forearms do.

One tip that I've heard from a top former pro BBer who is now a very popular trainer is that it's a waste of energy to stretch your calves out with your toes pointing up. He advocates going no lower than a 90 degree angle (as when you're just standing) and then raising back up.

12. strife

strife I

It's not necessary unless you're a pro body builder specifically looking for asthetics to work your calves like that. And even then I would consider the benefits minimal, and the strength gains miniscule if anything. Working your calves is included in all lower body exercises pretty much. That's the only reason I say it's useless.

13. Rufio

Rufio New Member

Ah, I'll agree that it's next to useless for strength or endurance training. Personally though, I hate the look of a big upper body and tiny calves, so I train my calves.

14. strife

strife I

If you are doing squats or deadlifts in your normal lift routines, it's damn near pointless so train your calves.

Workout (10/18)

1A. DB Lunge 3x10 - 1st 20lbs, 2nd 40lbs, 3rd 45lbs
    1B. Lateral DB Lunge 3x10 (B indicates superset) - *see DB Lunge

2A. Bicep Curls 3x10 - 1st 55lbs, 2nd and 3rd 50 lbs.
    2B. Skullcrusher 3x10 - *see Bicep Curls

3A. Standing Cable Twist 3x10-12 - 1st 40lbs, 2nd and 3rd 50lbs
    3B. Weighted Leg Raise 3x12 - 1-3 15lbs.

15. Rufio

Rufio New Member

That really depends how you're built and your form. IIRC, inner calves are slow twitch fibers that respond better to high volume (and are more genetically predetermined) while outer calves have somewhat more fast twitch fibers that can grow from concentrating on them when doing squats. Different people's bodies respond differently, though. There are a lot of people who squat all the time and have huge quads but disproportionately small calves.

16. strife

strife I

The people who have the huge calves are no different than people like Brock Lesnar who has a gigantic back/neck but small legs in comparison. I'm sure he works his legs just as much as he does his upper body, it's all genetics my friend. Singling out the calves and training them is not going to change genetics or make them stronger, no stronger than what you're achieving from various Squats/Deadlifting/etc. All I'm saying is that it's a wasted lift in a workout routine and the gains you will see (which are so miniscule they won't matter) aren't worth the time/effort put in.

17. Rufio

Rufio New Member

And what I'm saying is that genetics also play a role in what TYPE of training works for you. There are people who can make gains from virtually every type of lift. I've seen tons of examples of it. It may be a wasted lift for YOU, but that doesn't necessarily apply to everyone. For example, Arnold Schwarzenneger have horrible calve genetics but turned them into one of his standout bodyparts through progressively weighted calve raises. I have personally seen my calves grow from calve training in a way that didn't occur from compound movements. The idea that certain excercises work for everyone or don't work for anyone is just not realistic ... With the possible exception of a few very basic compound lifts (squat, deadlift, row, military press).

I think we may be confusing strength and size here, though. Calves (at least inner calves) are largely slow-twitch muscle fibers that grow better with endurance training than with strength training. From what I gather, you're just training for functional strength and don't give a crap about aesthetics. I'm training for both, but with aesthetics as the main emphasis until I reach my goal there.

Good discussion though; I don't mean to argue.

18. strife

strife I

No, we aren't arguing at all. This is merely a discussion among gentlemen my friend, lol. You're right when you say that I train for functional strength, I am not a body builder and don't plan on being. However, I do research a lot and I understand what you're talking about. It's not a matter of mixing up strength and size it's just a matter of opinion, and I can speak from experience that focus training calves does little to no good aesthetically or for gains in any other lifts specifically if you are a regular squater, deadlifter or do any other full lower body lifts regularly. You can't really bring up Arnold because he was a professional bodybuilder and there was a 99.9% chance he was on some form of steroid/growth hormone then. Of course you will see an increase in size while on performance enhancers. I'm natural, I see 0 gains from it...both in size (note: my calves are a good size and have always been a stronger point in my body; if there has been an increase it has been gradual and barely noticable compared to, let's say, arms or quads where you easily see size increase) and strength!

19. thebwit

thebwit Guest

Yo you still working out buddy? What's up with people not keeping to their posting?

20. strife

strife I

I hurt my neck really badly at BJJ, strained, pulled or something to it while drilling a half guard sweep so I haven't been doing a whole lot. I have only been to the gym twice in 2 weeks and BJJ 3 times, November hasn't been treating me too well. However, I did pick up this Men's Sport multivitamin at GNC and LOVE IT. Gives me tons of energy and makes me feel great, only problem is that it makes me piss constantly because of how many B and C vitamins it has (like 5000% C and 3000% of each B vitamin). I do notice gains when taking it though, which is nice.

I've also had midterms, which have been the suck...and my car has been acting up, but haven't had the time to get it fixed (which prohibits going to BJJ 3-4 times a week or whatever).