1. It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who are willing to endure pain with patience. Discuss: "UFC 220: Miocic vs. Ngannou" Live Discussion *Spoilers*. Prelims begin at 7:00 p.m. ET on Fight Pass.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We've created a backup site in case the forum experiences any technical difficulties. Please bookmark the following addresses: www.reddit.com/r/MMASPOT/ and/or www.nm.reddit.com/r/MMASPOT/. All urgent announcements will be posted there in the event that the main site goes down. Thank you.
    Dismiss Notice

Stranger Things 2

Discussion in 'Movie, TV, & Video Games' started by Macgyver, Oct 27, 2017.

1. Macgyver

Macgyver Active Member

Now on Netflix (Canada anyways).

Figured it deserves its own thread due to the first season's popularity.

Hoping the wife is down for some binge watching tonight.

Spoon and Trodden like this.
  2. Trodden

Trodden The autumn air Thickly fills my lungs So sweetly

so far season 2 is fucking great!!!

I had to stop binging it so I had some to watch this weekend

Spoon and Macgyver like this.
  3. Spoon

Spoon There is no Spoon

Just finished episode 4. I agree with @Trodden . Have to force myself to stop, so I have something to watch. I could easily stay up all night and watch every episode, it's been that good.

Last time a show this great was worth binge watching for me was GoT when I started right before season 4 or 5. With 5 episodes left, I'm forcing myself to drag this along.

Trodden likes this.
  4. Nebraska

Nebraska Poindexter For President NFL S.P. Champion Site Donor

Blew through the whole season this weekend. Such a brilliant, well-rounded show -- score, story, acting, pacing, character development, etc. And Eleven is even more of a badass in Season 2.

5. Trodden

the only shitty part was it was only 9 episodes

Dimson, Nebraska and Spoon like this.
  6. ILJO

ILJO Soggy Bottom Boy Site Donor

Just finished. Good stuff. Wasn't the biggest fan of Eleven's story line, but I enjoyed the hell out of this season, just like the last.

Spoon and Trodden like this.
  7. Trodden

I plan to marathon it again on halloween

8. ILJO

ILJO Soggy Bottom Boy Site Donor

I thought it was pretty brilliant the way they released this around Halloween time.

Nebraska likes this.
  9. Trodden

I wish it was out sooner....and there was more of them......and somehow the Punisher was worked in

10. Poindexter

Poindexter Reputation: ∞ Staff Member

Finally finished. Good show. Unashamed in the references, derivations, blatant theft, etc., but they still made an entertaining product, and produced some pseudo-iconic imagery. Well done in what it is and in it's appeal.

Bob was a bit of cretin and then became someone I was bummed to see go. I'm glad they didn't kill anyone else, but they maybe should have.

I feel like a third season will be stretching it thin. I think they covered damn near every movie from the era—from Ghostbusters, Firestarter to The Exorcist, Pretty in Pink and Raiders of the Lost Ark, among others.

11. disposableassassin

disposableassassin Tainted supplement distributor Site Donor

They should have killed will. That's where I felt the story was headed then suddenly it felt like they lost their nerve. The finale felt like a bit of a cop out with no real weight attached to it.

The writing was very often very predictable and I felt the cast grew too much this season and most people didn't get the screen time they deserved because of it. Maybe more episodes could have fixed this but somehow I think that would have exasserbated some of the writing issues.

I still enjoyed the hell out of the show though. I love the cast and the writers have created some really endearing characters.

Spoon and Poindexter like this.
  12. Nebraska

Nebraska Poindexter For President NFL S.P. Champion Site Donor

I think they roll out another season of El being a character the other can lean on as some kind of supernatural band-aid to the trouble they get in, but eventually her arc needs a tragic climax. Her best moments are the vulnerable ones.

Let's not get this messed up, she's the sun in this solar system. The plot revolves around her actions when it's at its best. Give her another run of episodes of her being a badass then give her inoperable brain cancer or something as a result of the experimentation. I think this show has a five or six season ceiling, so they should draw up some sort of end game and lead us to it. Eventually we're not going to give a shit about the upside down.

13. Spoon

Spoon There is no Spoon

But any 80's imagery is/was completely intentional. They even had him joke about the "treasure map", ala The Goonies, especially with who was playing Bob.

If you can handle the lovey-dovey shit, you should watch the Beyond Stranger Things after show. For more info on Bob. Essentially (without spoiling), they wrote the scripts as the season went on, and liked how Sean Astin played the character, that they prolonged his presence on the show. Originally...

Show Spoiler
    They were going to have Will kill him in the car ride together, where Bob told Will to stop and tell "it to go away." It's assuming the original version was Will getting attacked by the Mind Flayer beforehand.

Completely agree. After making Will and Eleven the main focus of the show for the 1st season, and then repeating it again, but adding more characters, Will should have been killed off at the halfway point of this season. If he gets possessed next season, and isn't immediately killed, it's going to be hard to watch the rest.
    I believe they are actually shooting for a maximum of 4 season.

But I agree. There's only so much a child or anyone can take, whether she has crazy powers or not. I'm shocked she was even able to make it to the Snow Ball, where she was physically fine, at all. It was presented like her closing the "gate" was life draining, and then was essentially no big deal for her. She should have been comatose with the amount of power she used, compared to how much of a struggle she had while moving a freaking misaligned train car a few hundred feet.

Trodden and Nebraska like this.
  14. disposableassassin

disposableassassin Tainted supplement distributor Site Donor

I'm hoping that her powers have stopped working. That will at least add something to next season. She wants to be a regular kid. Let's make her a regular kid.

Trodden likes this.
  15. Trodden

Barb will come back to save them all

16. SandyWH

SandyWH CHAOS KREATOR

Is it just me or did they really go out of their way to set up an ungodly amount of potential storylines for future seasons?

Trodden likes this.
  17. Trodden

Its just you

18. Poindexter

Poindexter Reputation: ∞ Staff Member

Of course it's intentional, that's obvious and part of the premise of the show. The extent and excess of the references and derivations, which they doubled down on in the second season, was unprecedented outside of satire, IMO. The fact that within that they managed to not have it become corny or camp, and instead created an entertaining and compelling storyline was impressive.

19. m1ckey kn0x

m1ckey kn0x deranged derelict Site Donor

Love this show too

Trodden likes this.
  20. Trodden

--- Post Added -- Nov 7, 2017, ---

Spoon likes this.