1. Right or wrong, it's very pleasant to break something from time to time. "UFC 224: Nunes vs. Pennington" Live Discussion *Spoilers*. Prelims started at 6:15 p.m. ET on Fight Pass.
    Dismiss Notice

Stipe Miocic vs. Daniel Cormier champion-vs.-champion showdown set for UFC 226

Discussion in 'General MMA Forum' started by Malevolence, Jan 26, 2018.

1. Malevolence

Malevolence Hurt like you’ve never been loved

D159D606-1427-490E-9E38-C18D3DFE8401.jpeg

UFC heavyweight title fights don’t get any bigger than this.

The promotion today announced that Stipe Miocic will defend his crown against light heavyweight champion Daniel Cormier at UFC 226 to culminate the two men coaching against each other on Season 27 of “The Ultimate Fighter.”

UFC 226 takes place July 7 at T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas and airs on pay-per-view following prelims on FS1 and UFC Fight Pass.

Miocic (18-2 MMA, 12-2 UFC) and Cormier (20-1 MMA, 9-1 UFC) both are coming off dominant title defenses last weekend at UFC 220. Not long after the event, UFC President Dana White lobbied for the superfight to happen.

It will be the first time in UFC history that the acting 205-pound champion will challenge for the heavyweight title.

http://mmajunkie.com/2018/01/stipe-miocic-vs-daniel-cormier-showdown-ufc-226-the-ultimate-fighter

Palma and Poindexter like this.
  2. Sakara=Excitement

Sakara=Excitement America's Most Wanted Site Donor

Lulz

Ninjastix and Spoon like this.
  3. Nebraska

Nebraska Poindexter For President NFL S.P. Champion Site Donor

Very nice. Jones can eat shit.

4. chuckthechamp

chuckthechamp #NinerEmpire

Wtf.. what happened to no hw fights?

5. Qball1974

Qball1974 Tower of Song Site Donor

OMG! if DC win's it will be epic.

GOAT right there folks.

kanobro and Malevolence like this.
  6. TriangleSmoke

TriangleSmoke Motherfucker of the Century Site Donor

Has DC fought anyone as big as Stipe whose wrestling is just as good? I think Stipe's size could be too much for DC because Stipe actually knows how to wrestle. I don't want to see either of these guys lose, but I hope DC pulls it off. If DC can take Stipe to deep water I think he could stop him.

kanobro likes this.
  7. Malevolence

Yup, Jones had the world at his feet, his doped up Turinabol infested feet. Could’ve set himself up for life with a fight like this.

It’ll be a very interesting fight, Cormier won’t have to cut weight so his already outstanding cardio should be even better & Stipe just gets better all round every time out.

8. Qball1974

Josh Barnett off the top of my head.

Fe1 likes this.
  9. TriangleSmoke

Josh Barnett's wrestling is not as good as Stipe's.

Rise and Malevolence like this.
  10. Malevolence

DC will be by far the best wrestler Stipe has faced, his size alone may not be enough to stop that DC single leg into body slam, I think we might see Stipe on his back for decent periods of time in this fight. I have DC going in as favorite in my book, stylistically I fell it favors Cormier, he’s got a good chin, good forward pressure, great cardio, tremendous take downs & top game, Stipe will have to work his ass off to keep DC off of him.

Qball1974 likes this.
  11. TriangleSmoke

I hope so. DC is unquestionably the superior wrestler and almost certainly will take Stipe down unless he gets KO'd early. My biggest concern is DC getting tired and getting slept.

12. Rise

Rise Well-Known Member

A superfight that actually works out great timing wise and somewhat makes sense.

Downside to this though is it's probably a good indicator Cain isn't going to be back anytime soon at this point.

Poindexter likes this.
  13. Qball1974

He should have a warm up fight or two first anyways.

14. Fedorlei Gomipierre

Fedorlei Gomipierre The IQ Poster Site Donor

It's HW, so anything can happen and both of these guys have shown to be fairly hittable.

With DC's overall advancements since he first left HW, I'm thinking he'll benefit greatly from not having to make the weightcut and be all about an unrelenting pace/pressure/output and be sufficient enough in the standup to get the takedowns and outwrestle Stipe while looking to trap an arm and secure a finish.

Yeah, I think I've talked myself into DC for this fight. Not terribly impressed by Stipe, but I'm pretty much not impressed with any HWs since they all seem to be one punch away from winning/losing the title.

Qball1974 and Poindexter like this.
  15. FrankieButNotEdgar

FrankieButNotEdgar Well-Known Member Site Donor

Eat shit is one of my favorite insults and this made me laugh after a very stressful day.

In terms of this fight, what does that mean for Cain? Cormier would only move up if he knows Cain isn't coming back any time soon. I imagine this would give 205 a chance to produce a new contender as well.

I think Cormier takes this fight.

16. Poindexter

Poindexter Reputation: ∞ Staff Member

17. Miz

Miz mortality, ka, and the Tower

Great fight. I like em both.

kanobro likes this.
  18. m1ckey kn0x

m1ckey kn0x deranged derelict Site Donor

Whaaaat?

It’ll be a great fight and that’s a testament to how damn good DC is.

19. ATJ-Lucko

ATJ-Lucko MMAtheist MMA Pick 'Ems World Champion Survival Pool Champion

i really think DC could have been where Stipe is right now if he would have stayed at HW.
    I think this might be DC's last fight.

20. Walter Sobchak

Walter Sobchak Well-Known Member

Perfect, just in time for jones to come back and whoop his ass to take it all away again

Ninjastix and kc56 like this.