1. It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who are willing to endure pain with patience. Discuss: "UFC 220: Miocic vs. Ngannou" Live Discussion *Spoilers*. Prelims begin at 7:00 p.m. ET on Fight Pass.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We've created a backup site in case the forum experiences any technical difficulties. Please bookmark the following addresses: www.reddit.com/r/MMASPOT/ and/or www.nm.reddit.com/r/MMASPOT/. All urgent announcements will be posted there in the event that the main site goes down. Thank you.
    Dismiss Notice

Steve's training log

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by Steve, Oct 9, 2008.

1. Steve

Steve D'arce Vader

holy good god, i didn't realize it's been 2 weeks or so since I last posted.. hahaha been soo busy with training and working a new job that's it's been hard to find the time to even lurk here let alone update the log.

so for the last 2 weeks i've been doin judo and boxing as much as possible combined with getting up early doin a nice run (or sparring in the morning) and then finishing the day with a weight routine

now today i switched it up because i thought this might work better

5:45am wake-up n stretch, shower n get ready
    6:30 I'm in the gym doin a mile run first, then my weight routine (today was legs)
    8:30 i'm at work for the day
    til about 4 then i get home do 4-6 rounds (3min) of boxing and grappling, 1 round boxing 1 round grappling for cardio and to perfect technique

I'm eating every 3.5hours (max time between small meals) I've got my weight at 160 even and it almost never moves because I have my diet on lockdown, I've had bad food (treats) only twice in the last 3-4weeks. got my squat weight up while getting them as deep as physically possible (my ass touches the floor) and my cardio is starting to get really good I did 6 rounds of sparring with 3 of my buddies I had them alternate so they were always fresh and I just kept going with only a 1 min break in between and I was doin sick. I felt tired at the end but not exhausted and I could have kept going at a good pace.

sorry for not updating in a while it's just been hectic, I did myself up a proper eating/working out schedule and even plan my meals now, been training hard and talking to a local manager/promoter about setting up an amateur fight in the fall depending on how i do in the next few months with the training..

2. Steve

Steve D'arce Vader

same routine as usual

woke up early stretched, skip rope and practiced some technique then had a very light breakfast went to the gym and am now at work..

did arms today
    biceps/triceps/abs and a 10 minute run, pretty exhausted. also sparred last night after work for about 12 minutes of total sparring 3min then 1 min break (4rounds)

3. Steve

Steve D'arce Vader

ran 2 miles, did shoulders, n hit core so hard i can barely sit haha

THE CORE.

5x sets of 15 leg lifts
    5x sets of 15 oblique crunches on decline bench (15 each side)
    5x sets of 6 bruce lee style leg lifts
    5x sets of 15 crunches on decline bench (60lb weight)
    5x sets of 20 regular situps

4. Steve

Steve D'arce Vader

had boxing class, the provincial champ from a few years back trained us a bit and it was intense and i've never learned so much in so little time..

also, pre-boxing i ran 3+ miles burned over 400cals in under 30 minutes.. and did the same core workout again.. pretty much a bag of sore right now..

5. Steve

Steve D'arce Vader

10 min run followed by leg day.. got my 10 min run up to 1.37mile(s) record high for 10min for me, felt amazing at work now doin some hardcore sparring tonight with 3 different partners rotating partners so i can spar them all while they are fresh :D

6. Steve

Steve D'arce Vader

the sparring last night really killed me so u know what i did? woke up at 6am and went for a 1.45mile (personal best) run in 10 mins on treadmill and then did some bicep n tricep exercises and now im home (after having to walk because of miscalculating time) walk.. in the rain.. with a t-shirt on.. lol but either way im beat!!

7. tick

tick is banned?

Did you have to walk uphill on the way home? That would only make it worse!!!

Good stuff sir

8. Steve

Steve D'arce Vader

all uphill :( fucking valley i live in.. i live at the top the gym is down into the valley.

9. Steve

Steve D'arce Vader

ran 2 miles today outside, was goin to run my usual 10mins n do weights at the gym but our gym was in the middle of a power outage so no go. :(

10. Steve

Steve D'arce Vader

starting doin pull-ups using the beam in my basement with a shirt wrapped around it. my hands have gotten soo much stronger and my lats are becoming insane.. also did a 6 round cardio session of boxing.. tryed to make sure i threw 80-100 punches per 3min round pretty exhausted right now

11. Steve

Steve D'arce Vader

beginning to run punch out drills with focus mitts, trying to get my punch output up to 300 punches before i need a break. getting very close, i can do about 220-250 then i need a minute breather and keep pushing it, also have been skipping rope everyday and doin 2 a day runs when i can get the time in.. had judo class with the instructors son on tuesday (he is a blackbelt, ranked #2 in canada at his weight/age group [he's 19] and weighs about the same as me) we did about 4 rounds of groundwork and a round of stand-up working for throws and he couldn't do a thing with me, i felt really good and he asked me how many years i've been training which i thought was really nice haha.

12. Steve

Steve D'arce Vader

update:

been way way too busy job hunting and training to update lately. been at judo hardcore doin work outside of class with some of the high ranked guys and they kept calling me a bjj blackbelt whenever i sparred when we went to a merged class with a judo group from another area.. still have yet to be subbed in ground randori (i've won all of my ground randori matches sans 3, 2 draws and 1 against a 3rd degree dan from another area who is built like a shit brick house and has been doin judo and other forms of martial arts for about 30 years) and my standup game is coming along with boxing aswell as working more throws.

13. Steve

Steve D'arce Vader

alright 20 minutes of treadmill ran 2+ miles burned 300+ cals then did 5 sets of

x8 chin-ups (using rope for grip strength)
    x10 explosive chin-ups narrow grip switching grips in mid air
    x10 leg lifts
    x12 around the worlds (25lb plate)
    x30 medicine ball slams
    x30 jabs/straights(30 of each for each hand) with each hand switching up my stance using resistance bands

tired. good to be back in the gym, been doing mostly sparring and actual sport training lately but felt like hitting the gym hard today.

14. tick

tick is banned?

Hows the training / lifting / job hunting going?

15. Steve

Steve D'arce Vader

putting this here to keep from forgetting it

seminar day 1
    basic buttefly sweep
    basic counter to butterfly (grab gi pants on flattened leg sprawl out when uki goes for sweep)
    deep overhook with collar grip butterfly sweep
    deep overhook with collar grip shoulder lock - FOOT ON HIP
    deep overhook with collar grip triangle choke - both feet on hips as a setup, maintain collar grip
    basic buttefly -> x-guard ( ANKLE ANKLE ANKLE )
    double unders buttefly -> heel hook -> x-guard
    x-guard sweep from opponent posturing up, drop far leg to ankle
    x-guard sweep from 2 hands on mats, drive hand into rib cage -> bring in then push out and come up
    x-guard sweep from opponent putting knee down, lift far leg up grab ankle of uki and push forward
    double sleeve grip feet on hips, sweep overhead. make sure to sit up into uki first then sweep back directly overhead
    double sleeve grip, go to de la riva, same as above to finish
    de la riva sweep, have arm under uki's leg and deep in opposite collar, grab other sleeve, sweep to sleeve side
    de la riva sweep, same grip under leg to collar, grip opp do roll overhead

16. Steve

Steve D'arce Vader

sem day 2
    flying triangle make sure opp doesnt have grip with far arm
    flying armbar
    sit back triangle make sure opp doesnt have grip with far arm
    sit back armbar
    sit back armbar, opp defends, flower sweep
    opponent tries standing guard pass, foot into hip, cross sleeve grip, drop other foot to ankle, sweep
    if opponent pulls leg back, switch to other sleeve grip, rotate under other leg drop foot from hip to ankle and put other foot
    into other side hip, sweep
    opp stands, raise hips -> armbar
    opp stands, raise hips -> underhook leg, switch sleeve grip to arm underhooking, go to omoplata -> from omo u can
    either grab opp down if u can break their posture n sub with omo OR if opp postures up n stands, use underhooked arm to
    roll and grab your own collar stand up with leg
    de la riva, opp stands, switch grip to close hand -> forearm to leg for sweep
    de la riva, opp stands, keep cross sleeve grip use far arm to punch through and use leg to maintain his leg for sweep
    cross guard, opp bases back with far leg, dive under far leg at ankle pull x-guard n use one of 3 sweeps above.

17. Steve

Steve D'arce Vader

lets see if i can keep updating this again like old times, wish me luck and keep me honest people, pm me n shit if i slack for a day or two (NINJA IM TALKING TO YOU! :D)

today was no gi class, our class breaks down like most (from what i've seen)
    warmup -> technique -> drill technique -> roll

we spent a solid 90 minutes rolling today, i was partnered with the 2 biggest blue belts in our club so i was completely exhausted afterwards..

head home, napped for an hour wake up rejuvenated and motivated

GYM!
    Did some 5x5 training
    Squats (185lbs)
    Deads (240lbs) I have no idea why my deads have blasted my squats but okay.
    DB bench 60s
    Chin - ups
    Dips

Finished the workout with 6 mins on each
    Treadmill/Eliptical/Bike/Cross ramp and than a 2nd treadmill

Gonna try to do one of the above cardio sessions atleast 4x a week, bjj is now only 4x a week :( and than do my strength work 2-3 times a week to round it off.

Criticize away! - 4 weeks til grapplers quest at fan expo

18. strife

strife I

Get that squat up! You should be doing 225 son....especially with a dead around that weight.

19. Steve

Steve D'arce Vader

my squat has been as high as 315lbs but since I started 5x5s and started doin deads iy has suffered because I do it after deads. I'm gonna start alternating them on different days. Squats first sometimes n vice versa. Should help I'd say

20. Steve

Steve D'arce Vader

got my squat to like 215lbs by doin em first and my dead didn't suffer. Totally doin it this way from now on. Also deadlifted 260lbs for 5 for first time, and did about 30 minutes of core
    100 leg lifts
    100 crunches
    100 oblique crunches lying
    100 side obliques standing
    3 1 min planks, and 3 min on each side plank aswell