Steve's training log

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by Steve, Oct 9, 2008.

1. Steve

Steve D'arce Vader

Decided to start this up seeing as how I'll probably try and visit this site everyday and I tend to hit the gym everyday aswell.

today i did

AM:

12 reps 120lbs bench
    12 reps 120 lbs elevated bench
    25 elevated sit ups with medicine ball
    25 crunches on crunch machine
    25 elevated sit ups with 45lb weight to maintain perfect posture
    12 180lb squats
    12 curls with 35lb dumbbell
    12 Incline Chest Presses with 35lb dumbbell
    12 Single Arm Rows with 60lb dumbbell
    12 Decline Seated Bicep Curls with 35lb dumbbell
    12 Preacher Curls with 35lb dumbbell
    12 Concentration Curls with 35lb dumbbell
    2x sets of 12 chin ups

I did this in about an hour and a half before class while taking decent sized breaks after every 3 or so different exercises. Tonight I just finished my cardio and legs / toning arms workout

PM:
    12 Leg press lifts of 500lbs
    12 bicep pull downs (haha don't know machine name offhand) (180lbs)
    12 arm pull ins (^) 180lbs
    12 hamstring lifts - 220lbs
    12 hamstring reverse lifts - 220lbs
    12 on crunch machine
    12 lower back reverse crunches with 35lb weight
    12 sit ups with 45 lb weight
    12 calve raises 195lbs
    and 10 minutes of jogging at about 6.5 on average and 3.5 on cooldown

totally exhausted. hahaha. i don't do this everyday before anyone asks (well i do the machines everyday [latter list] but the former i do about 3 times a week along with the others. been doin this for about 6.5 weeks now and have noticed a definate change in my body, went from about 185 pounds very pudgey to a lean 173.5 and u can see defination in most areas

2. Poindexter

Poindexter Reputation: ∞ Staff Member

Nice work. I'd be dead the following day I think.

3. Steve

Steve D'arce Vader

up 7am my time to go to school and im feeling fine, legs are a bit sore from the squats and leg presses but that's fine haha.

gonna repeat the latter routine after school and go for another jog i think

4. Steve

Steve D'arce Vader

decided against the machine routine for today, did some stuff with dumbbells and my bench at home

25x Front Raises
    25x dead slow curls
    25x single arm row
    all with 15lb dumbbell at a dead slow pace for toning (burned so so fucking bad haha)

25x shrugs (with 100lb bar/weights)
    25x Declined board leg thrusts
    50x Abdominal bicycles
    25x Bench crunches

5. Rufio

Rufio New Member

Holy shit, dude; lifting weights twice a day for whole body workouts?!? Unless you have Arnold Schwarzenneger's genetics and/or you're using advanced "supplements," you're overtraining. And there's no such thing as "toning." Looking "toned" is just a matter of how much muscle you have and how much fat you don't have. If you look more defined, it's mostly because your body fat is lower which makes your muscles more visible, not because they morphed into a different shape. Also, how slow is the pace? You should go slow enough to make sure you're using the target muscle for most of the movement, but you probably shouldn't go SUPER slow. There was a theory of super slow sets in bodybuilding for awhile, but it's been largely discounted (although there's been evidence that it's good for health in older folks).

I think you should at least split it into two routines, either upper body day/lower body day or push day/pull day. If you do cardio immediately after lifting, do about 30 minutes of lower intensity stuff, like 65-70% of your max heart rate. It's better to give yourself a rest day after each lift day too. Maybe do some extra cardio on your rest days.

All that aside, very good work ethic you have there.

6. Steve

Steve D'arce Vader

i've been thinking the same thing actually, probably gotta cut it up into 2 routines but i still wanna be doin the machine work everyday because at this point it isn't that much of a workout for me but it makes me feel good for the rest of the day..

but free weight wise yea ill probably cut it up a bit, thanks for the work ethic compliment it's something i've had to work on very hard i use to be a very very lazy person when it came to training

today is just machines and cardio and gonna do some light grappling later today

7. Hillary's Vagina

Hillary's Vagina Black Lives Matter

I train only 3 times a week.....4 if i am feeling it. I mean i do a different type of weight training but i think your overtraining as rufio said. If you are then you are doing much worse than good to yourself.

CHeers good luck my friend

8. Steve

Steve D'arce Vader

did the machines last night and some light grappling like i said feel amazing today, got a ton of sleep (12hours) going to do a light workout again today just machines at gym and call it a day, taking tomorrow off (thanksgiving ! ) hahaha woot turkey

9. Steve

Steve D'arce Vader

did machines, feel great.. went for a nice jog because it's actually nice out today and did some wrestling training with a buddy of mine (placed 3rd in canada games a few years ago)

i never realized how much i love wrestling take downs for grappling until he showed me some stuff

10. Steve

Steve D'arce Vader

2 Leg press lifts of 500lbs
    12 bicep pull downs (haha don't know machine name offhand) (180lbs)
    12 arm pull ins (^) 180lbs
    12 hamstring lifts - 220lbs
    12 hamstring reverse lifts - 220lbs
    12 on crunch machine
    12 lower back reverse crunches with 35lb weight
    12 sit ups with 45 lb weight
    12 calve raises 195lbs

upped all of this by about 10-20lbs depending on machine, ran for 8 minutes on and off sprinting for about a mile and a bit

11. thebwit

thebwit Guest

what are your goals with working out? I ask because I don't want to say you are over training if you are trying to become a body builder. But if you aren't, then I would cut back the two a day full body weights and add in more cardio.

12. Steve

Steve D'arce Vader

not trying to bodybuild, but i'm a naturally weak / scrawny person and im trying to shed that as fast as possible..

right now i spar like 3-4 times a week for like 1-2 hour sessions with friends and my technique blows them away but it's hard to finish when they're just so much more physically dominate than me, u know?

i've always been looked at as the weak skinny dude and i hate that...

goal is like

weighing 170 pounds or less and bein in very good shape and have good endurance.

i know i need to add alot of cardio for sure

13. Steve

Steve D'arce Vader

ran for 12 minutes, alternating sprinting n jogging.. very tired now.

14. Rufio

Rufio New Member

That would be overtraining for bodybuilding. It's very hard for a natural lifter to build more muscle if you don't give the body a good 24 hours of rest after each workout. Also, overdoing cardio can also be counterproductive by raising cortisol levels and making your body get "used" to the stress.

Steve, for your goals I think you'd be better off lifting 3-4 days a week (a day with no lifting after each day you lift) and at the most 3 light cardio sessions per week, either before breakfast or after lifting. You should do the sparring and the lifting on seperate days.

What's your diet like? When you're trying to lose fat, you need some sort of balance between diet and physical expenditure when it comes to creating your calorie deficit.

15. thebwit

thebwit Guest

I would get with a strength coach and just work on building pure strength. Exercises like Ironman guys work with. A good site from my friend's old trainer: http://www.hulsestrength.com/underground-strength-video/ has some good stuff in it. You need to do a variety of exercises that aren't just about lifting weights. Also as my trainer has been telling me, explosive power will help with overall strength.

16. Rufio

Rufio New Member

Or just google "DC training" for a good strength building program.

17. Steve

Steve D'arce Vader

i have a pretty good diet, only meats i eat are lean chicken breasts (boneless/skinless) prepared with fresh green/red/yellow peppers in a stir fry most of the time.. dont drink anything but water, i take a multivitamin and make sure i get atleast 8-10 hours of sleep per night

18. Rufio

Rufio New Member

Are you getting in a source of protein (meat/dairy/eggs) with every meal?

19. Steve

Steve D'arce Vader

probably 80% of the time i do

20. Steve

Steve D'arce Vader

hit the machine list again yesterday, doin nearly max weight on all machines, checked my weight down about 2.5lbs but that's mostly just water, i haven't been trying to lose weight but just alter what that weight is haha and it's been working noticeably.

gonna do a light workout again today so i can get some rest and hit it hard tomorrow.

i start doin jiu jitsu and re-start TKD soon and i can't wait. I quit just before i started goign to the gym and i can't wait to see how i do going back in pretty good shape since it's been about 2 months off.