Dismiss Notice
Bellator London YouTube Prelims: Link Main card begins at 5:00 PM ET on the Bellator App.

Star Wars - The Mandalorian (Episode Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Movie, TV, & Video Games' started by Problematique, Aug 26, 2019.

1. Problematique

Problematique Wiedźmin.

2. Problematique

Problematique Wiedźmin.

3. jesusatemyhotdog

jesusatemyhotdog Welcome to the machine.

This looks very good.

Dimson likes this.
  4. Problematique

Problematique Wiedźmin.

I'm looking forward to it, certainly something different from the Star Wars franchise.

Which is great, there is so much potential in that universe for fantastic stories in film and television.

disposableassassin and Kevo like this.
  5. Dimson

Dimson Your tears don't fall...

That looks awesome.

6. Bran

Bran The wolf dead.

Anyone watch the first one? I really liked it

7. Clark Kent

Clark Kent Well-Known Member

Not a fan of Star Wars but I did enjoy the first episode.

8. Ninjastix

Ninjastix Damn Gina Site Donor

I will give it a try. But if it sucks I'm going to poison all of you. With poison.

Kevo, Dimson, Problematique and 2 others like this.
  9. jesusatemyhotdog

I am very pleased.

Dimson likes this.
  10. Ninjastix

I watched episode 1 and I don't get it. You start the character as silent, confident, and probably merciless. Even if you didn't know what a stereotypical Mandalorian was like, the first 5-10 minutes establishes it.

Then the show sort of immediately abandons that. And it's fish out of water scenario. And the main character is now a bit bumbling, a bit incompetent. But wait.. we reveal that our masked anti-hero in the making is likely a Mary Sue as he instantly accomplishes his first presented challenge simply by remembering he's a Mandalorian. I immediately thought of Cartmen telling Token he could play bass because he was black and sure enough.

So now I'm pretty worried that this is a giant pile of shit. I dig the practical effects and most of the visual effects, though I suspected they were leftover screen renders from the CG Lion King in that desert trip sequence.

Then you get to the final bit with the Director Droid. Cute idea sure but illustrates the problem with having a character who can do all the things except when the script needs comedy or tension. One second he seems out of his element and the next he's Liam Neeson. Maybe do one per episode? Han Solo Fett doesn't work and it's not all that clever.

That would all honestly be fine if it wasn't for how episode 1 ends. Really? This is what we're doing? This is what you had? I'm not lowering my standards just because audiences have lowered theirs. There's still charm in entertainment. And whimsy. And intelligence. But it ain't innate in a brand which is all this has. Costumes and fucking branding.

Man fuck Star Wars. Fucking garbage property that can do style like nobody's business but whose substance is soulless, and bankrupt, and insultingly mundane.

I will watch The Dark Crystal series on Netflix instead.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2019
    disposableassassin and ATJ-Lucko like this.
  11. Dimson

Dimson Your tears don't fall...

First two episodes were awesome.

jesusatemyhotdog likes this.
  12. jesusatemyhotdog

I agree.

Dimson likes this.
  13. Miz

Miz mortality, ka, and the Tower

Gonna get Disney plus tomorrow. Can’t wait to watch this. Skipped your post Ninja, as I didn’t want to see a spoiler but I saw your last sentence, and the Dark Crystal is pretty cool.

Dimson likes this.
  14. jesusatemyhotdog

Pay no heed to ninja. If you like the OT, you will like this.

Miz likes this.
  15. ATJ-Lucko

ATJ-Lucko Champ-Champ MMA Pick 'Ems World Champion

you honestly should be a critic or writer.

16. Ninjastix

Too busy following up on my poison promise.

disposableassassin likes this.
  17. Tapout

Tapout Bringing Sexy Back Site Donor

Baby Yoda Species is the best part.

Nebraska, Dimson, Palma and 1 other person like this.
  18. Palma

Palma I am chaos

Your always overly critical (which I like), but now you're Comic book guy overly critical.

It's called "suspension of disbelief " and its nearly impossible to enjoy anything fantasy or scfy related.

To me, it's just showing what their universe (and fans in reality) perceive the Mandalorians to be vs them as individuals.

We've only seen Jango Fett at the end of his life (who was some what relatable, wanting an unaltered clone as a son but also currup morally), and Boba Fett who was an orphaned clone that saw his fater beheaded at age 9.

So now, we get to see something else.

And speaking of bumbling, don't forget how Boba Fett died.

19. Bran

Bran The wolf dead.

Spoilers bruh

20. Ninjastix

None of that is what I disliked. What I disliked was the constant cramming of elements from the series rather than a simply stated character introduction. The opening scenes from the bar, to the ship, to the cantina with Carl Weathers, set the character and tone in one direction yes, for there then to be an immediate departure in tone with subsequent scenes.

And I can respect that. There's deep lore for Mandalorians but let's shelf that as Disney did. Let's just take what the show itself is imparting. A respected, feared, competent, and I'd argue merciless character. That's a consistent tonal direction yes? You're imparting the character through the costume and environment. I'd label that: smart. You're divorcing his emotion and empathy by having him be a literal walking set of armor. This much I like. Even if it's built into 2 back to back cantina/bar scenes.

It's not the quirkiness, or slapstick, or bumbling, or light comedic elements I object to. It's how they're used and when they're used after the character has barely been established. It undermines the initial tone and direction of the show for me. This is not objective truth, this is how I see the hermit scene (cause Star Wars has hermits) and the Droid scene.

It'd of been enough to carry the initial tone into the Droid sequence where you have some levity and some action. If you want to show the Mandalorian as vulnerable against overwhelming odds, seems perfectly reasonable. After all the quest scene made it clear it was gonna be a difficult job.

To me the red flags start with the bucking lizard and hermit ex machina. They continue through the firefight. And through the reveal which tells me this is not a show for me. I don't care about Star Wars lore reveals. Build me a character. Make me care. Tell me a story arc that has nothing to do with characters being incidental puppets of the force. You want to make him a hero? Show me sacrifice and principles. You want to make him an anti-hero, then convey the faults and limitations.

Any property can do this. Because it's in space, middle earth, heaven or hell or LOST, doesn't excuse weak cliche scripting of events. Doesn't excuse messy character development.

Is it as horrendous as I made it seem? Of course not, I'm exaggerating for fun reading material. Is the show worth investing time and attention towards? For me it's not. I think less is more with the Star Wars. I don't think you need Jedis, the force, red light sabers, tie fighters, or death star iterations to be interesting. There's a whole population that likely in the majority in this Galaxy that gives fuckall about the Empire, the Rebels, the Sith or Jedi who should be tall fiction anyway.

A smuggler trying to move goods or a bounty hunter fucking with cartels and free traders is itself enough. If any of the recent films were a means to know the world around the characters I'd give this show a chance. But fuuuuuuuuck no that's not been the case. Star Wars is a safe, sanitized property where nothing is allowed to change or progress.

I just can't find that entertaining enough to sustain my interests.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2019
    Palma likes this.