So I went to ny first BJJ seminar

Discussion in 'Boxing & Grappling' started by Dimson, Jan 12, 2019.

1. Miz

Miz mortality, ka, and the Tower

What’s mct oil? You mix black coffee, butter, and mct Oil? I google this oil thing.

2. MBC

MBC Well-Known Member

Yes look it up.

Miz likes this.
  3. Miz

Miz mortality, ka, and the Tower

I did briefly. Seems like coconut oil only you’re paying more money, which I wouldn’t be surprised your wealthy “I go to every World Series game” would do.
    --- Post Added -- Jan 27, 2019, ---
    Does marijuana infused gee butter and cocunut oil work? Asking for a friend.

4. MBC

MBC Well-Known Member

It’s not just coconut oil that’s the thing.

5. Amlap

Amlap Could have won state

I don't really trust the judgment of doctors or dietitians. Doctors don't have the time to take something like this seriously and dietitians have been historically wrong and often follow the fads themselves. This is just my opinion based off of my life experience, but I've also never heard of anyone dying or getting sick from cutting carbs. The worst thing I've heard is people not sticking with it long enough

6. Cornbread and Ketchup

Cornbread and Ketchup Ninja

We’ll just have to disagree about a dietician.

I said doctor more to ensure you’re healthy. Too many people base health off being fat or not. Orr can cause issues if you have underlying kidney or liver problems. And if not done properly could lead to heart issues. Which really, none of it is inherent to keto, which is why I said a doctor

My issue is more with how its represented I guess

7. BadKarma

BadKarma Active Member

I saw the butter in coffee thing and had to post this.

8. Amlap

I just went to a presentation by a former doctor who is now a dietitian that was pushing keto and fasting to our entire academy. Dietitians are going to push different diets based on what they believe. 10 years ago, fats were bad and whole grains were good. There was time when dietitians as a group largely thought eggs were causing cardiovascular issues.

Health can generally be based off being fat or not. Heart disease is the leading cause of death and diabetes is the 7th, and there is a direct correlation to both diseases and excess weight.

I've never heard of anyone developing heart, liver, or kidney issues directly related to improper use of any health fad diet.

How is it being presented?

9. TriangleSmoke

TriangleSmoke Motherfucker of the Century Site Donor

Obviously you don't have to cut carbs to improve nutrition. That goes without saying. There are many variations of healthy nutrition routines. Cutting carbs is just what has worked best for me in terms of fat loss.

10. TriangleSmoke

I've never tried that specifically, although I eat unsalted butter with my eggs every morning along with several tablespoons of CBD-infused MCT oil.

JeterLover27 likes this.
  11. TriangleSmoke

I find time-restricted eating to be very effective, although I can't say it's for everyone.

Miz likes this.
  12. TriangleSmoke

I've heard keto can be bad for folks with kidney issues. A friend of mine with one kidney was strongly advised against keto by his doctor.

13. bradlabo

bradlabo In Half Guard I Trust

Leg Locks are just like anything else. if it hurts tap. I have always liked them but since i got my brown I have had found a renewed love them. There are so many chains you can put together when attacking the legs.
    --- Post Added -- Feb 2, 2019, ---
    Nutrition wise, you need to find what works for you and stick with it. Keto is good but is not something great for long term. A diet is a diet and is destined to fail. Adapting a healthy lifestyle is what is sustainable.

I would not recommend plenty of olive oil though especially cooking with. Although a lot of recipes ask for it, it is actually not a high temp oil. Grapeseed, or avocado oil is much better. If you make salad dressing use flax oil.

I eat carbs and do not have any issues. There is nothing wrong with eating some carbs. But stay away from any refined sugars.

My wife being a holistic nutritionist has helped me a lot with overall wellness.
    I also intermittent fast. I eat at 9:00 am, usually a smoothie or smoothie bowl, 12:00 Lunch, 3:00 afternoon snack and that is it till 9:00. This works for me but is def not for everyone. It is easy for me not to eat dinner since I am at the gym everynight and do not get home till 9:15 pm and go to bed at 10.
    My wife is vegan, but does not push it on me at all or any of her clients. She does recommend, free range eggs, and getting meat direct from a farmer to ensure it is not pumped full of shit though.
    Sidenote I rolled with Tainan Dalpra of AOJ today. That kid is insane and incredibly strong for his age. His control was nuts.

Miz and Poindexter like this.
  14. Amlap

I normally agree with you, but this is terrible advice. You need to recognize the position and in which direction the lock is applied, if you wait to tap until it hurts, then you might need surgery after. There are no nerves in the tendons of the knee. You're only going to fell pain where they were attached after they tear.

Leg locks are not like anything else. They are quite different from all the other joint locks.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you.

15. bradlabo

bradlabo In Half Guard I Trust

I just mean not to be afraid. If you get caught tap,like you would an armbar or anything else.
    --- Post Added -- Feb 3, 2019, ---
    Im talking about anything but heel hooks. We cant even do them in most canadian events

16. Amlap

Oh, got it. Straight ankle locks, knee bars, and toe holds are similar to elbow and shoulder locks, in the sense that there is a range of flexibility to damage.

Calf and bicep slicers are their own monster and need to be respected like a heel hook bc you won't feel as much before you are damaged, regardless of flexibility.

Heel hooks are totally safe as long as one partner can recognize the positions and help guide the grappling along.

I thought you were talking about heel hooks since he went to an Ian Murray Leg Lock seminar.

I've been training heel hooks and leg entanglements for a couple of years now, and it's a nice switch up from bjj. It's nice to roll with 10th planet peeps and heel hook them back, lol