1. Having nothing to struggle against, they have nothing to struggle for. "UFC on ESPN 1: Velasquez vs NGannou" Live Discussion *Spoilers*. Prelims begin at 6:00 p.m. ET (ESPN+).
    Dismiss Notice

So I went to ny first BJJ seminar

Discussion in 'Boxing & Grappling' started by Dimson, Jan 12, 2019.

1. Dimson

Dimson Your tears don't fall...

My gym hosted a leg lock seminar by Ian Murray. He is a black belt out of Gracie Tampa and is known for his leg locks. He is competing at the Abu Dhabi trials and hopefully he can make it to the finals. He finished 3rd at the last Abu Dhabi trials. Really cool dude and did a great job of instructing for only being 21 years old. I learned a lot, I just wish my conditioning was up to par so I could keep up.

2. Poindexter

Poindexter Reputation: ∞ Staff Member

Fuck yeah. That's what I have to say.

Dimson likes this.
  3. Miz

Miz mortality, ka, and the Tower

Cool Dim. I’m not a leg lock guy. To much can go wrong if you don’t know how to defend. I just play it safe and tap. I can defend a straight ankle lock but every thing else gives me the hebejeevies.

4. Dimson

We went over attacking and how to defend. It was cool and it was worth it but I need t get in better shape. I was struggling big time.

Amlap and Miz like this.
  5. Miz

You struggling with doing technique or rolling?

6. Dimson

Both. My gut gets in the way and my stamina is shit.

Miz likes this.
  7. Miz

Keep at it. You’ll get there

Kano and Dimson like this.
  8. Amlap

Amlap Could have won state

You look alot thinner! You've come a long way, my friend
    --- Post Added -- Jan 24, 2019, ---
    You really should learn them. Once you learn them, you'll see how safe they really can be training with them. It's the bjj community that blows it out if proportion and exaggerates the dangers of heel hooks. Wrestling and wristlocks are more dangerous than heel hooks.

Miz and Dimson like this.
  9. Noise

Noise Ruido

Really dig these updates, bro; keep up the awesome work.

Amlap likes this.
  10. Poindexter

I like that you're reppin' New York in the title.

Amlap likes this.
  11. TriangleSmoke

TriangleSmoke Motherfucker of the Century Site Donor

Hey bud, give this a try:

Cut out sugars and as much carbs as you can. Eat an avocado with your breakfast every morning and cook your white meats with plenty of extra virgin olive oil so you can get some healthy fats in your system as a fuel source to replace the carbs. Log all of your meals: stick with meats, veggies that grow above ground, fruits (mainly blueberries/blackberries/raspberries/strawberries) and healthy fats for two weeks. If you're training BJJ even only a couple days a week and maintain that nutrition routine, I guarantee you will drop at least 5 lbs in two weeks but probably more. It's easier said than done, but once you get through the first 3 days of this routine it will get easier. You'll begin to thrive on it too because you will start feeling more well in general.

I don't do the full keto diet anymore, but my overall nutrition is still generally low-carb, more healthy fats and moderate protein. Proper nutrition will change your life, dude.

I promise if you improve your nutrition along with training BJJ the nutrition will directly translate into quicker progression in your BJJ training.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2019
  12. chrisc

chrisc Ninja

You don’t need to cut carbs to better your nutrition though, and it’s really recommended unless done so by a doctor or dietician.

13. Miz

A bit stoned. Do you mean “not recommended”.

14. chrisc

chrisc Ninja

Haha yeah

15. MBC

MBC Well-Known Member

There is nothing wrong with what he told him. It works great. I have been eating under 50 carbs a day going into my 3rd year. I eat 300 grams of protein a day. I eat carbs only after my workout at night that’s it. Best shape of my life. Combine that with running and lifting weights like a boss you can look amazing. I recommend bulletproof coffee. I think it works amazing. Irish unsalted butter and MCT oil. Spin it up in a blender. That shit will give you energy till noon. You try that @TriangleSmoke ?

TriangleSmoke, Miz and Poindexter like this.
  16. chrisc

chrisc Ninja

Deleted my post, but I still maintain you shouldn’t make major dietary changes without consulting your doctor / dietician

17. MBC

MBC Well-Known Member

Don’t tell me what to do please

18. chrisc

chrisc Ninja

Suck a dick
    --- Post Added -- Jan 26, 2019, ---
    @Dimson did you train anywhere here in jax?

19. Dimson

No. I didn't train until after I left Jax. I never trained any martial arts when I was a kid either. I only trained due to my son wanting to get into it.

Kano likes this.
  20. Poindexter

Good reason, IMO.

Dimson likes this.