1. It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who are willing to endure pain with patience. Discuss: "UFC 220: Miocic vs. Ngannou" Live Discussion *Spoilers*. Prelims begin at 7:00 p.m. ET on Fight Pass.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We've created a backup site in case the forum experiences any technical difficulties. Please bookmark the following addresses: www.reddit.com/r/MMASPOT/ and/or www.nm.reddit.com/r/MMASPOT/. All urgent announcements will be posted there in the event that the main site goes down. Thank you.
    Dismiss Notice

Set a reminder folks. the Falcon Heavy rocket will fire on the 15th.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by thumper, Jan 3, 2018.

1. thumper

thumper all around great guy Staff Member

if you're a reddit user you can "PM" the remindme bot to message you in 12 days (the day before the launch) with a direct link to the official SpaceX launch thread

Edited the link because I really fucking hate the way the addon links to reddit threads, i need to delete that.

reddit.com/r/spacex/comments/7hjp03/falcon_heavy_demo_launch_campaign_thread

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
  2. Poindexter

Poindexter Reputation: ∞ Staff Member

What’s wrong with the way the add-on works with reddit?

3. thumper

i don't like that you can't just link to a thread, it brings the entire thread into the post and clutters it all up. it makes the post above look shitty

here's something interesting. people are touting this as the biggest rocket in the world. Well, it is the largest rocket in action today but it's nowhere near the biggest ever.

look atit compared to the saturn 5

4. Poindexter

I like to post tables, data breakdowns, original material (of length). But, I can see what you mean—are you posting the specific link for the post or for the entire thread?
    That's fairly devious.

5. thumper

Here's what they say on their website

The payload capacity of the Falcon Heavy: 119,000 lb
    The payload capacity of the Saturn V: 310,000 lb

So the Saturn V had almost 300% more payload than this one.

To me it's a bit devious in the way they make it sound like it's x2 the most powerful rocket. Well that's true if you only account for other operational rockets today, but 50 years ago there was one nearly 3x more powerful and the amazing part of that is fifty years ago

The real difference is cost to develop and the facxt that the falcon heavy is reusable.

So in cost there's no comparison, but in power and size, it's big time reversed

The way they made it sound I thought it was much bigger and more powerful.

But, having said all that, the falcon heavy is GI-FUCKING-GANTIC anyway.

I put a really shitty example up just so show the size. The rocket has his first roadster mounted in it.

look at the size of the car compared to the rocket. just that little bulb at the top is the payload. the rest of it is all a fucking gas tank. Amazing

a resl size comparison is in the original pic here (ignoring my hack job chop). Look at the very bottom right of this pic. there's a truck parked there. it's about as tall as the 'S' in SpaceX on the side. [​IMG]

which actually looks like this inside.

[​IMG]

the point of this is it's just a test, no valuable payload can go in it. In fact, Elon said there's a very good chance it won't make it past the initial stage. the whole thing could blow up right after liftoff.

6. Poindexter

That's crazy. What exactly is the stated purpose of the test?

7. thumper

to see if it can get to mars. it's so big in comparison they can't just guess if it can get there. since the rockets are re-usable it's feasible to do this. with something like the saturn V it wouldn't be possible

oh and for a real comparison in history

[​IMG]

by the way, this isn't going to be the biggest spacex. they're already two steps larger and they're developing one that competes with the saturn v (the BFR and sadly, that's not for 'big fucking rocket'. it's for 'big falcon rocket').

in fact, there are 3 rockets in development right now in the USA that are going to be as big as saturn V. blue origin's new armstrong, NASA's sls, and the (mentioned above) spacex's BFR.

in fact, several countries are building that big. China is one of them. russia claims it too.

not to mention Boeing ceo Dennis Muilenburg has already said they will beat spacex to mars. and they have the money to do it, as well as the current contract for part of the current development with NASA. they hae a shit ton more money than spacex (who's 'do it' statement really had no punch behind it)

Elon Musk vs. Boeing: The race to Mars http://cnb.cx/2jOXux8

and here's the part nobody talks about:

--
    but like this article said (it was written before the big things started this year) they were banking on this last year and it worked) i'd imagine they're really banking their future on this mars launch and what is listed above.

But let's also keep in mind, timing is important, and Musk claimed over an over and over that this rocket would launch in 2017. now it's two weeks into 2018 and could easily get pushed back again

Last edited: Jan 5, 2018
    Poindexter likes this.
  8. Poindexter

What's the difference between this and what got to Mars already? We know humans can get something to Mars. What is the key for this mission that sets a precedent? The size? I haven't read everything, so I'm (lazily) inquiring.

9. thumper

the launches you've seen already prove a really important point. Reusable rockets are real, and they will save a FORTUNE. a single rocket cost's like $60,000,000 and you use it once. I think it was bezos that said it's like building a 747 to use to fly across the country and throw away when you get there.

it's going to be the first real life test of a super heavy-lift rocket. The whole point is using recycled rockets and showing they can deliver a large payload that far away. To be able to deliver humans to space in a privatized setting. with the thought of colonizing other planets. his goal is to be able to get 100 people + crew (i think it's plus crew) to mars. doing this within the next 50 to 100 years. it's a bit aggressive lol, but that's what he says.

the reality is Boeing is much more likely to do it first. they've got the money and history to make it all happen. The there's Bezos' blue origin (the amazon co founder) there's a lot of people trying to do this.

getting a small robot to mars is a whole lot different than transporting 100 to 200 people to mars in a ship that has movie theaters, play rooms and other goofy shit. Musk is also claiming he wants to drive costs down so it would cost as little as $200,000 per person. right now it's like $20,000,000 per. (those numbers might be off, it's been awhile since i read that)

so the short answer is to prove that a low cost vehicle can get to mars safely. he also claims he wants to be able use the rocket to get back to earth (mars is a LOT smaller than earth so it takes much less power to get out of the gravitational pull of the planet)

most of what you see in those rockets are the shit they need to get it to LEO (low earth orbit) then the real spaceship launches to mars when the planets align.
    --- Post Added -- Jan 5, 2018, ---
    FYI there's a shitpile more i want to write but i'm sick, and anxious as hell for some reason so I can't concentrate. i'll follow up when my brain melts a little

Poindexter and kanobro like this.
  10. thumper

the secret launch failed, hauling a very VERY expensive spy satellite (multi billion if I heard it right). this is not good

it failed soon after the public feed cut out. Northrop had requested they not televise the second stage

https://qz.com/1175393/zuma-satelli...-northrup-grumman-mess-up-a-secret-us-launch/

--- Post Added -- Jan 9, 2018, ---
    More info
    https://boingboing.net/2018/01/08/zuma-spy-satellite-lost.html

From the Wall Street Journal:
    later in the article

there's a lot at stake here, and since it was a classified mission we won't know what happened I'm sure. But it could be a big problem for the 'mars' stuff.

They claim it won't hinder the Jan 15th launch, i'd bet money it gets pushed off.