1. War is peace. Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength. Discuss: "UFC Fight Night 123: Swanson vs. Ortega" Live Discussion *Spoilers*. Prelims commence at 6:30 p.m. ET on Fight Pass.
    Dismiss Notice

Ronda Rousey confirms UFC 207 'one of my last fights'

Discussion in 'General MMA Forum' started by Mr. Cornute, Nov 1, 2016.

1. Hassquatch

Hassquatch Slayer

Shut up Dana. You were the only one calling Rondy UFC's Mike Tyson. Chuck was the closest thing the UFC had to their version of Mike Tyson..Hard hitter, fans thought he was cool, had a good KO run. Ronda had none of those.

Dana is still in love with her. I can tell she doesn't know how to give good head...hell, I bet you she flat out doesn't do that. I don't get it Dana's infatuation with her. He's had plenty of fighters make him boat loads of $$$.

2. Ninjastix

Ninjastix Damn Gina Site Donor

Except Tyson fought a diverse and legitimate talent pool. He fought in an established division, in a mainstream sport, with equivalently experienced competition.

Rhonda fought in Gen 2 of a fringe sport scrambling to fill a weight class with a shallow pool of talent.

When the footing evened out, Rhonda was exposed. Tyson lost his career due to drugs, excess, crime, and mental health issues. Tyson wasn't exposed by better talent. You could argue that Rhonda too let herself slip in terms of her commitment to the sport... for the Holly fight.

I would need a better argument for the one sided beating that she took at the hands of Nunes however.

It's more accurate to say that Rhonda is the Tito Ortiz of WMMA. Tito was relatively one dimensional but dominant early on but eventually the sport and talent caught up with him. He was dedicated, disciplined, well-conditioned, but never truly evolved his style and seemed to hit mental blocks at times.

He was also one Dana's crushes.

kanobro and Hassquatch like this.
  3. Sakara=Excitement

Sakara=Excitement America's Most Wanted Site Donor

I am in no means a fan of Ronda's. But she finished 12 fights in a row. The most Chuck could muster was 7. Ronda also is one of the largest PPV stars the UFC has ever had making her at least interesting to watch.

Qball1974 and MacEwen like this.
  4. Hassquatch

Hassquatch Slayer

Correct, but did you ever think of Mike Tyson when her fights were coming up (before Dana White tried to put that in your head)?

"muster" 7 fights in a row? That was an easy task?
    --- Post Added -- Aug 9, 2017, ---
    I think Tito deserves some credit for the little success he had fighting in the late portion of his career. Also, I don't recall Tito's worst losses/beat downs being as devastating as lots of other big name fighters worst losses/beat downs.

thumper and Ninjastix like this.
  5. Ninjastix

Ninjastix Damn Gina Site Donor

Tito deserves a ton of credit as does Rhonda, I wouldn't dare mock the legitimacy of either as a competitor it's just in comparison to one of the most greatest athletes of all time that their statuses (imo) dip.

Tito always remained dangerous, but limited. Maybe it was injuries. Maybe it was over training. Maybe stylistically he stagnated a bit, or maybe the competition and variety of athlete improved considerably.

With Rhonda, with WMMA, as with early MMA, the sport evolves in bursts. And champions can be passed by overnight. She still has time to take the Damien Maia approach and go back to what made her successful. A ground attack that no one in that division can defend. However whether or not she can fight to a game plan, adapt, or ever come from behind isn't known.

I just don't see comparisons to Tyson in any of that narrative. Tyson was an undersized heavyweight with extraordinary punching techniques and a world class athlete to boot. What dragged him down was his old life, money, and himself. He just didn't get passed up by the sport.

I can see where you can make an argument that Rhonda is a victim of her own success but I can't see to the degree that Tyson was. The sport passed Rousey by, just has to change to catch up. No amount of technical change was gonna save Tyson.

thumper likes this.
  6. Sakara=Excitement

Ronda Rousey mum on future plans, praises Shayna Baszler for WWE Mae Young Classic run

7. Sakara=Excitement

Ronda Rousey teases signing with the WWE

--- Post Added -- Oct 12, 2017, ---
    'At a crossroads,' is Ronda Rousey headed to the WWE ... with husband Travis Browne?

thumper likes this.
  8. Cat--Smasher

Cat--Smasher Putting the stamp on kids Staff Member Survival Pool Champion

Ronda Rousey begins training at WWE Performance Center

thumper likes this.
  9. thumper

thumper all around great guy Staff Member

I'm amazed they even want the '4 horsewomen' thing spoken in puplic given their abysmal record between them (and the exposing of ronda).

Honestly I think she'll do well there. i mean she doesn't know how to do all the gymnastics shit they do, but she's got to be strong as hell from all that judo and obviously has great balance.

this will probably be a good fit for her.

10. disposableassassin

disposableassassin Tainted supplement distributor Site Donor

She has the passion for it. She is also an exceptional athlete. She should do fine under what I expect will be a limited schedule. I don't see her transitioning into a full time wrestler or anything though.

As for travis....he is going to wash out of this like he did mma. I see nothing in him other than being tall that makes me think that wwe will be a good fit for him.

thumper likes this.
  11. #1taz

#1taz You sure you want me to give a fuck? Site Donor

Good for her. She can go fake fight in the WWE for easy $$ and Travis can be her bitch oops... I mean cuckold... oops..I mean manager. Hopefully Vince doesnt try to have her peg any male pro wrestlers in the ring on camera for a fast buck.

Rhonda was good in her day, but as has been already said, she was a big fish in a shallow pond that eventually began to fill up with bigger hungrier fish, and she wasn't able to grow and develop enough to keep up. Chalk it all up to bad management, a horrible trainer, way too many outside distractions, and a lot of tougher more skilled opponents showing up. But she does deserve a ton of respect for her win/loss record prior to her last 2 fights, and for getting WMMA in the UFC established, and inspiring a lot of women to compete in MMA.

12. thumper

thumper all around great guy Staff Member

there is no comparison here.. you have to consider the pool of fighers in the division. Chucks run is a hundred times more impressive

however, i too see no comparison in ronda and tyson. not even a little bit. Let's also not forget ronda went 12-0 tyson went to 37 and 0 and retired at 50-6 spanning exactly 20 years. Ronda's run went 5 nd was undefeated for 4.

I do think Ronda deserves credit for what she did for MMA. it's 50/50 because the hype machine from the ufc had every bit as much to do with it as her fighting. she only fought in mma 14 times and only 8 in the ufc

13. Miz

Miz Badlands

I've been looking for a reason to start watching pro wrestling so this might be a good push. Hendo should join up as well.

Kevo likes this.
  14. Kevo

Kevo SMOKE BOMB!

Judo Throw City, bitch

MacEwen, Dimson and Miz like this.
  15. Dimson

Dimson Your tears don't fall...

Judo City!

16. Sakara=Excitement

17. Bran

Bran The wolf dead.

Can anyone here confirm whether or not UFC 207 was one of Romda Rousey's last fights?

disposableassassin likes this.
  18. disposableassassin

disposableassassin Tainted supplement distributor Site Donor

I like this version of her better than the old one.

ChuckBooty 2.0 likes this.
  19. AnchorPunch

AnchorPunch Well-Known Member

$100 says that was a paid appearance and now MMA media are doing more free advertising for Blizzard

20. Noise

Noise Ruido

Happy for her; seems like she's in a better space. Hope her and her family are having fun, :encouragement:.