1. It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who are willing to endure pain with patience. Discuss: "UFC 220: Miocic vs. Ngannou" Live Discussion *Spoilers*. Prelims begin at 7:00 p.m. ET on Fight Pass.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We've created a backup site in case the forum experiences any technical difficulties. Please bookmark the following addresses: www.reddit.com/r/MMASPOT/ and/or www.nm.reddit.com/r/MMASPOT/. All urgent announcements will be posted there in the event that the main site goes down. Thank you.
    Dismiss Notice

Recovery Thread

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Miz, Dec 25, 2014.

1. Poindexter

Poindexter Reputation: ∞ Staff Member

I'm tentatively and hesitantly committing to a Dry-uary.

Dimson, Miz and disposableassassin like this.
  2. disposableassassin

disposableassassin Tainted supplement distributor Site Donor

A friend of mine is swearing off alcohol for the year.

Poindexter likes this.
  3. Miz

Miz mortality, ka, and the Tower

I might need a new Ka/destiny/purpose. I want a new career. I need to focus more effort into my family. I have a third child coming in February. I’m considering staying home with him/her. I gave up trying to learn bass guitar. Maybe it’s time to try that again. I like planting trees/gardening. I love to read. I guess I have a bunch of things I like but nothing I’ve mastered. I could start doing Bjj again. The ball has been set to motion. Now I just have to keep it rolling and remember how much better I feel when I’m not drinking.

Happy New Years!

4. Poindexter

Poindexter Reputation: ∞ Staff Member

I didn't do the Dry-uary. I might start tomorrow.

disposableassassin, Miz and Dimson like this.
  5. Miz

I’m fucking dominating sobriety today. Had a headache this morning but some ibuprofen killed it. Day two and feeling good. I just have to keep remembering how much better I feel when I don’t drink. Not worried if I’ll run out of booze. Not worried about blacking out. Being there and being present. Most important resolution I could make. Gonna take work, but it will be worth it. One day at a time.

disposableassassin and Dimson like this.
  6. Miz

Went and did some Bjj for the first time in a long time. I coach kids two nights a week but haven’t done an adult class in forever. My cardio is terrible. Only rolled once, against a buddy of mine. He took it easy on me. Felt great. And I still haven’t drank this year.

7. Miz

Well it’s been a week and I’m feeling real good. Hope everyone else is feeling good. Went and worked out yesterday and I was a pound heavier than the day before I quit drinking. Not sure how that happened. Maybe I’m eating more to make up for lost booze calories. Oh well priority number 1 is no booze. Have a great week my friends.

8. Trodden

Trodden The autumn air Thickly fills my lungs So sweetly

stay strong man

Miz likes this.
  9. Dimson

Dimson Your tears don't fall...

10 months sober today.

Palma, Trodden, Spoon and 4 others like this.
  10. Miz

Have you collected any AA coins? I know you said you haven’t been doing meetings. I haven’t either although I’d like to b/c I like them and they are usually full of sober wisdom (or the ones I go to are.). You’ll have to pick up your year coin when it happens. That is a big deal! I hope to get one one day. I got a 9 month coin one time. Keep up the great work. One day at a time!

11. Dimson

Yes. I have my 1 day, 30 day, 60 day and 3 months. Stopped going during football season and haven't went back yet. Not because I don't want to go, I just haven't got off my ass to go. Plus I started doing bjj recently and that keeps me busy. Oh and I have my coin from when I graduated rehab

12. Miz

Over two weeks now. Now it’s mental. I just have to say no to that thought in my head that says “just get a six pack. You could have 3 tonight and 3 tomorrow night.” Yeah right.

@Dimson how is the Bjj going? I do Bjj also. You’re in Florida, right? My Sisternlaw lives there. We usually visit each to every other year. Maybe I could hit up a class with you this summer.

13. Dimson

BJJ is going good man. I mean I suck at it but I just started my 3rd week and I am not planning on stopping any time soon. I fricken live it. Even if I am over 150 lbs over weight. @Miz I train in Orange City, Florida at Darkwolf mms. If you are ever in the area I would live a chance to let you kick my ass. @TriangleSmoke trains in Florida too. As far as the drinking goes just remember one thing, never pick up. That is the key. You can't drink, if you never have a bottle or can in your hand.

Palma, Poindexter and Miz like this.
  14. Miz

Don’t worry about the sucking. You’ll get better. In time you won’t “muscle” everything and you’ll use technique. Great thing is Bjj will also get you in shape.

Trodden likes this.
  15. jokerthief

jokerthief No reason to get excited. Site Donor

Before I quit drinking I made the decision to never again buy an insufficient amount of liquor. I did the same thing as you, and it always resulted in me driving drunk to buy beer after my willpower was depleted by the insufficient amount of liquor I drank. Finally, I realized that I was going to get a DWI if I continued this and I faced the fact that I could not control the amount I drank each night. So for a while I continued to drink and I always got blasted. I think this eventually helped me quit because I was drinking so much that the hangovers were insanely brutal. It was clear that I had the choice of either quitting or destroying my body. I had dropped the bullshit rationalization of being able to be a functional drinker and I think the starkness of the two choices before me made choosing sobriety easier. Your results may vary.

Palma, Miz and kanobro like this.
  16. TriangleSmoke

TriangleSmoke Motherfucker of the Century Site Donor

You guys are obviously more than welcome to swing by Gracie Barra Jacksonville any time you're in the area. Lots of wonderful people there. I get my ass kicked there at least several days a week. Yall come on in!

Miz and Trodden like this.
  17. Dimson

My brother trains Kung Fu in Jacksonville. I forget the name of his school though.

TriangleSmoke likes this.
  18. Palma

Palma I am chaos

Uhh... 17 days strong. I hate not drinking. Still vaping the weed tho. I got past the hardest part (for me) of laying in bed all night, not being able to sleep.

Miz, Dimson, kanobro and 2 others like this.
  19. jokerthief

jokerthief No reason to get excited. Site Donor

Weed won't destroy your organs, so I'd say you're doing well.

Pashɐk and Dimson like this.
  20. Palma

Palma I am chaos

Thank you! I just make it clear for some reason. Lol, I don't know why.

Pashɐk likes this.