Recovery Thread

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Miz, Dec 25, 2014.

1. Miz

Miz mortality, ka, and the Tower

One week down of no drinking. Feeling good. Smoking a small amount of reefer to keep my mind limber. Small tasks like making coffee, watering the garden, and feeding the dogs are no longer tedious or advantageous to avoid. 1/4 of the way to my first goal. Have probably already saved greater than 70 dollars. Feeling good.

2. Miz

Two more days and I reach my goal of 30 days of no drinking. I will need to set a new goal. My job started back up and next week will be a crucial week for me. I just have to remind myself of all the reasons I shouldn't drink. I feel much better when I'm not hung over and worried about when and how much I drink. Hope all you guys are doing well.

3. Trodden

Trodden Talk louder, I cant hear you

try a fidget spinner

it helped a friend of mine quit drinking and she had a bad drinking problem

my best advice is try as many things as possible to get your mind off of the sauce

Miz likes this.
  4. Miz

How is everyone? Started whole 30 again today. Did it once before. Need to get back in shape. Been super stressed at work. Had to go see my doc about my anxiety. Adjusted my meds. I'm hoping to get it under control. Need to start working out. Diet, meds, exercise will hopefully help. Might need a career change at some point. Unfortunately I'm not skilled in anything. I'd like to work outdoors. Well that is enough randomness. Peace

5. Poindexter

Poindexter Reputation: ∞ Staff Member

Pulling for you buddy.

Palma and Miz like this.
  6. Dimson

Dimson Your tears don't fall...

I am still sober. There are days I really want to drink but so far so good. I really need to work a program after I get done with football. I haven't been to a meeting in forever. But as of Oct 8, I will have 7 months sober.

Palma, Miz, kanobro and 2 others like this.
  7. Poindexter

I'm glad you are keeping it up, man. If you get overwhelmed by the urge—do something to not accede. Do anything.

If you are going to relent, don't do it out of momentary compulsion. Make sure it is out of a one hundred percent commitment to return to the darkness you were in.

However, if anything happens, get right back on the horse for your well-being and the relationship to your son. You're worth it, man. And so is he. That's my opinion.

8. Kano

Kano My New Challenge Site Donor

I don't know your situation but if you are trying (and succeeding) to remain sober you must have suffered some serious negative consequences as a result of drinking.

Please good sir do not forget these things. The drink is a tricky and cunning adversary. It will massage your mind very cleverly into thinking a drink may be fun or do you good or maybe even be necessary for soothing or calming effects.

Take a mental inventory daily of the positive results in your life as a result of remaining sober.

Good luck

Palma, Dimson, Poindexter and 2 others like this.
  9. Miz

Wish I was close to where you live @Dimson . I'd hit up a meeting with you. I haven't been to a meeting in ages.

I'm feeling good. Day 4 of my whole 30. Did some outdoor work. I help coach Bjj but I need to get back to adult classes. I am stressed at work but things are getting better. It's amazing how much diet and not drinking can help. You think drinking will help relieve the stress, but it doesn't. That said I might need a career change at some point. I think my job adversely effects my mood disorder. I am always happiest when I can get outside and do some work.

Dimson likes this.
  10. m1ckey kn0x

m1ckey kn0x deranged derelict Site Donor

Just read my post on the first page. That is really embarrassing.

I have grown immensely since then. I have come to a point in life where I am most controllable in my sober mind. Drinking and doing any drugs, even smoking weed, makes everything worse now. It sky rockets my anxiety and feelings. It's more that now in my sober mind, I can keep from feeling mostly any emotions anymore. Things I felt before are sort of embarrassing or stupid to me now and I look down on myself as I was. It was the opposite before where I had to consume myself in all the drugs and alcohol to keep from reality.

This kind of just happened over time after laying off of everything. Funny how the mind works. I can't really explain it. I don't want to say it's completely for the better but it's good not to be doing all the things I was doing before. However, I really don't feel much of anything at all anymore. Even things I would like to.

11. TriangleSmoke

TriangleSmoke Motherfucker of the Century Site Donor

Everyone doing okay? This is always a very difficult time of year for me, but thank God I'm still coke and dope free. I hope everyone is handling their family time well.

12. Dimson

Still sober. It sucks sometimes but I haven't had a drink in over 9 months. Not really doing the steps or working any kind of program other than just don't fucking drink. Working so far, lol.

13. disposableassassin

disposableassassin The flying hand trucks of justice Site Donor

Same principle I applied to getting sober.

Miz likes this.
  14. Poindexter

Keep it up. Good job man.

Miz likes this.
  15. Miz

Gonna get a jump on New Years resolutions and go work out today. I haven’t worked out in a gym for a long time. Trying to get sober. Same old broken record but I’m trying. If it were easy no one would be an active alcoholic. It’s my own fault but I can get sober b/c I’ve done it before. Gotta make a comeback and stop being a drunk glutinous fat pile of shit.

16. Kano

I tried a new diet for Christmas. I don't know the official name but I call it suicide by sugar.
    If your a hard gainer this one is great. Cookies, candy, fudge, bars, pie, cake, fruit cake (which I love) and every other sweet treat known to human kind in massive quantities.

It's not a great diet for losing weight but if you don't care to see your feet anymore it works wonderfully.

17. Miz

Went and worked out. I feel a lot better but I’ll be sore tomorrow. Gotta start somewhere. Happy New Years gents.

kanobro likes this.
  18. Kano

Going to watch the prelims while running on the treadmill.
    Happy New Year Miz and everyone else.

Poindexter and Miz like this.
  19. jokerthief

jokerthief No reason to get excited. Site Donor

Do you have a purpose? That is what has kept me sober. My purpose is basically self-mastery and knowledge. You can't drink and pursue that path. There isn't enough time. For me, when I drifted through life, I needed to drink to kill idle time. Once I kindled ambition, I then had a shortage of time and the temptation to drink just went away. If you can find a purpose that is big enough that it creates a time-shortage in your life, then you will probably have much better success abstaining from liquor.

disposableassassin, kanobro and Miz like this.
  20. Dimson

So I realize now it sucks being around people who are drinking when you can't drink.