1. It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who are willing to endure pain with patience. Discuss: "UFC 220: Miocic vs. Ngannou" Live Discussion *Spoilers*. Prelims begin at 7:00 p.m. ET on Fight Pass.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We've created a backup site in case the forum experiences any technical difficulties. Please bookmark the following addresses: www.reddit.com/r/MMASPOT/ and/or www.nm.reddit.com/r/MMASPOT/. All urgent announcements will be posted there in the event that the main site goes down. Thank you.
    Dismiss Notice

Recovery Thread

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Miz, Dec 25, 2014.

1. ILJO

ILJO Soggy Bottom Boy Site Donor

@Dimson, when did you turn into such a pussy? I'm just kidding... you've always been a pussy.

Hahaha, I'm funny.

Poindexter likes this.
  2. Dimson

Dimson Your tears don't fall...

Love you too buddy.
    --- Post Added -- May 18, 2017, ---
    Finally went to my first meeting post recovery/rehab. It was a decent meeting and I actually got a chance to share. The way they do the chips is weird because they go backwards from 1 year down. Still waiting to find a sponsor. I am going to go to a few meetings before I approach anyone about being my sponsor.

3. Miz

Miz mortality, ka, and the Tower

My bro got married last Saturday. I have to stop drinking.

Trodden likes this.
  4. Dimson

You should seriously consider going to a treatment center. I know a place if you are interested.

TriangleSmoke and Miz like this.
  5. Miz

I'm going to go to a meeting first. I can do it. I don't want to be gone from my family. Thanks for the thought. How are you doing?

6. Dimson

I am doing ok. Not going to a meeting but I will go to them when life doesn't have me too busy or if I feel like drinking. It has worked so far. Still need a sponsor though.

Poindexter likes this.
  7. Poindexter

Poindexter Reputation: ∞ Staff Member

Stay the course, man.

8. Dimson

I got to meetings, just not every day.

Poindexter likes this.
  9. TriangleSmoke

TriangleSmoke Motherfucker of the Century Site Donor

How's everyone doing? I came really close to going on the search for some oc's today or some scag if oc's didn't pan out (Women might be the death of me). Fortunately I abstained. Everyone doing ok?

Dimson and Poindexter like this.
  10. Dimson

Over 100 days clean now.

11. TriangleSmoke

TriangleSmoke Motherfucker of the Century Site Donor

Well done. Keep fighting the good fight.

12. kanobro

kanobro My New Challenge Site Donor

I'll take the dirt road-it's all I know
    I've been walking it for years
    Its gone where I need to go
    Oh it ain't easy-it ain't supposed to be
    So I'll take my time
    And life won't pass me by
    Cause it's right there to find, On the dirt road

Miz, disposableassassin and Dimson like this.
  13. Dimson

So, I just realized this past Saturday was my 4 month mark. Pretty sweet.

14. Poindexter

Poindexter Reputation: ∞ Staff Member

Good work man.

Miz likes this.
  15. Miz

Awesome job! ODAAT!

16. Miz

So I realize every few months and I'm right back in this same position...but here I go (again on my own. I love bad 80s music.). I'm on day 3 of sobriety. I feel like it's the hardest. Wanted badly to get booze at the gas station. I need to quit again. New baby on the way and summer vacation coming to an end and the Mrs. is tired of my bull shit. Anyways I made myself a bet that if I can go thirty days then I'll get myself a crossbow. Hope everyone is doing well. I always feel like I can sustain some sobriety if I can make it to day 4.

Trodden likes this.
  17. Dimson

You should really look into going to a treatment center. It helped set things into perspective for me.

Miz likes this.
  18. Miz

@Dimson I don't want to do a treatment center. I don't want to be gone for 30 days. I have two young kids. It would be frowned upon with my job as well. I'd like to do it on my own if I can, but I appreciate the suggestion. I have to find what works for me. I'm on day five and I feel good. I think day three is the toughest day for me. I felt so good waking up and not being hungover!

19. Dimson

I understand. I didn't really want to leave my kids with my kids mom all that time because she has a lot already on her plate but she encouraged me to go because she knew I really needed the help. I didn't think I needed rehab either but it turned out to be the best thing I could have done. Glad you woke up sober and not hung over. Keep it up broski.
    --- Post Added -- Jul 19, 2017, ---
    You ever talked to the old lady about the possibility of going to a treatment center?

kanobro and Miz like this.
  20. Trodden

Trodden The autumn air Thickly fills my lungs So sweetly

when I quit drinking I had to replace it. Every time I thought of drinking I had to do something

I started to realize it was other people that would make me want to drink, so when I got the urge I would just go in a room by myself and listen to music and practice breathing

(like inhale for 3 second, hold for 2, exhale on a 3 count, hold for 2 seconds, repeat)

it didnt get easier, but it let me focus on what harm drinking had brought to my life. now granted I still smoke pot, but not every day, and only after work now.

one thing my gf got me onto was a calendar. writing down what days I REALLY wanted to drink and looking for a pattern that drove my desire

my best advice is to use the shotgun effect, try multiple things at once (that you feel comfortable with) and see which ones curb the thirst more

or just go shoot a shotgun

like at a target, animal or person.

I dont judge

disposableassassin, kanobro and Miz like this.