Reach Advantage?

Discussion in 'MMA University' started by Jager Meister Hunter, Nov 3, 2010.

1. Jager Meister Hunter

Jager Meister Hunter Well-Known Member

I was wondering, a few people were making fun of my arms and classifying them as "short arms".

My question is this:

How does one measure reach? I'd like to find out for one and all if I am at a disadvantage when it comes to reach and if I should just accept the "short arms" mantle?

2. Clint

Clint Administrator Staff Member

Typically reach is measure finger tip to finger tip so that might be a good place to start and then compare to other people/fighters of the same approximate height.

3. Problematique

Problematique Wiedźmin.

Yeah, they measure reach with arms stretched out to the side, shoulder height and from fingtertip -> fingertip.

Imo for sports like boxing and mma I think it is bullshit, I think reach should be from shoulder -> front.

4. SandyWH

SandyWH CHAOS KREATOR

reach should be from armpit to the center of the hand

as it is, it's measured in wingspan.

Never seen a fighter employ the whirling dervish style of attack, so wingspan doesn't mean much of shit.
    [​IMG]

Matt Serra has an 24 inch back and 24 inch arms, but he's given credit as having a 72 inch reach (I made these numbers up), when he fights a guy like John Hathaway, who has a 75 inch reach he has a 17 inch back and 28 inch arms. it says he has a 3 inch reach advantage, when in reality it's 5 (I made these up too).

5. Problematique

Problematique Wiedźmin.

exactly, so stupid

6. mmanuts

mmanuts New Member

I don't really have a problem with how reach is calculated now but I would not like to see it done from the armpit to the center of the hand. If you add in the rotation factor of the hips when throwing proper combos measuring from in between the shoulder blades to the hand is more likely to be closest to how far a fighter can hit a target without taking a step forward.

7. ATJ-Lucko

ATJ-Lucko MMAtheist Survival Pool Champion

Yeah measuring the wingspan is inaccurate, fighter A has a 66' reach and fighter B has a 72' reach, then they say "oh fighter B has a 6 inch reach advantage" no he doesn't, it's only 3.

8. sabreclaww

sabreclaww jui jitsoooos

Answer: Your fingertip to fingertip measurement should be your height when standing with arms out to your sides. If your 5'9, it should be 5'9 for an average arm length. Factor in ^ those answers for reach and you'll see why people are saying it.

9. strontium90

strontium90 New Member

I don't doubt that height (and reach) is largely a psychological factor in MMA (and boxing). I'd bet that most sociologists and anthropologists would agree.

10. Harlem Hustler

Harlem Hustler Dont argue, I'm always right!

When you're able to hit your opponent at a distance and they cant hit you back because you have longer arms, it's not a psych factor.

11. strontium90

strontium90 New Member

I never said it was entirely a psychological factor - but if you're at a weigh-in and instead of looking your opponent in the eye you're staring straight at his belly-button ...

12. sourdough

sourdough Sourdough Site Donor

http://mmajunkie.com/2014/08/ufc-to-introduce-leg-reach-statistics-for-future-events

13. Poindexter

Poindexter Reputation: ∞ Staff Member

'bout damn time.

14. ILJO

ILJO Bitch Nigga 3000 Site Donor

Cool.

15. Intellectual

Intellectual Breathe Life Into a Stone

This turns me on.

16. ATJ-Lucko

ATJ-Lucko MMAtheist Survival Pool Champion

how about give us true reach not wingspan