1. "UFC 241: Cormier vs. Miocic II" Live Discussion *Spoilers*. Early Prelims start at 6:30 p.m. ET on Fight Pass.
    Dismiss Notice

Rad Dad Thread

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Cat--Smasher, Aug 16, 2019.

1. Cat--Smasher

Cat--Smasher Putting the stamp on kids Staff Member

As someof you know, I am a new father. Lil fucker is cute as fuck and of course is a genius.

In Canada, we have access to the option of a 18 (20 in reality) month blended (mother and father share) parental leave with reduced weekly payments. The regular option is 12 months for the mother with full payments. This is all funded though our employment insurance system which we pay a small portion off every pay cheque towards. Your employer must hold your position until you return.

Anyways, my lil lady got two months off paid in full for the birth of our child and now we get to share 18 months off paid at about 33% of one of our incomes. It is supposed to be about 50% of your income but to extend it from 12 months to 18 months you are basically getting the same amount stretched out over the 18 months. This time must be blended between the two parents and can only over lap once.

The lil lady has taken the 2 months (maternity leave) and is currently on another 8 months (parental leave) for a 10 in total.. we will over lap one month to travel and then I will take the remaining 10 months off.

10 months off work...

10 months no work.

It is starting to sink in. It seemed golden when I agreed to it, now I am a lil nervous. Not sure why though, the lil lady is returning to a new position which will almost double her wage. I am stoked yet nervous as I know this may lead to a totally different trajectory in life. I have never been unemployed for longer than a month since I was 17. I need to either find a few more hobbies or take on some educational or training achievement. Dont get me wrong, the child minding will be the bulk of my time but still.

Lil man will be 9-18 months during the time I have off so I definitely get the fun side of the leave. Thoughts are a lots of hikes with a kid 'carrier'.. I plan on re building and re planning the garden space to reflect the more time I will have. We will do a shit ton o camping next summer. Build in some quality raised beds and expand the green house. With weed legal here now, I will dial in the set up for the 4 legal plants we are allowed to grow.

Toying with the idea of starting some online schooling to complete another degree that would be easy to cherry pick with my current schooling or go an online masters or go back to school and complete either the one year post grad teaching program or do a masters in education.... And then part of me thinks this time off may lead me down different career paths.

Bringing it back to the point of the post, any suggestions on a hobby to pick up or skill to learn, or how to use 10 months of no work in a productive way other than being a rad dad for lil man?

IMG_2333.JPG

Poindexter, Kano, Qball1974 and 4 others like this.
  2. disposableassassin

disposableassassin Mutatis Mutandis Site Donor

He is a cutie, and jesus you guys have some sweet fucking deals up there. We get 12 weeks here...

I wish I could offer something for hobbies but aside from falling asleep playing the game at night after everyone is in bad I haven't been able to have any hobbies. That single dad life is rough.

Miz likes this.
  3. Miz

Miz mortality, ka, and the Tower

upload_2019-8-16_7-8-44.jpeg
    I stay home with this guy after teaching for 12 years! It is awesome.

Do you have a good library? We do. I live in a liberal college town. It’s probably like Canada :) ! We go to story time at the library and play at the kids area. At story time they do awesome songs. Maybe your library has something like that?

Qball1974, m1ckey kn0x and Kano like this.
  4. Kano

Kano My New Challenge Site Donor

Does he have his whitebelt yet?

5. Miz

Evie scampers up and down,
    She wears a smile,
    Not a frown,
    She flips her tail,
    No time to doze,
    It’s story time,
    And off she goes!

Evie is a puppet fox. They sing this song at the beginning of each story time. I’m one of the only men there. It’s like 50/50 Asians. Asians love the library. As do I!
    --- Post Added -- Aug 16, 2019, ---
    He should. My fucking 7 year old boy can’t stay out of his face. You should take your grandkids to martial arts! BJJ if they have it.

Cat--Smasher likes this.
  6. Kano

Kano My New Challenge Site Donor

I have a heavy bag in my garage.
    Vladimir punches it.
    At first he was hitting it with an open hand, now he throws a punch.

Cat--Smasher and Miz like this.
  7. Miz

Teach him the double leg. It’s super easy. He just puts his right knee down, grabs behind your leg, and goes forward (there is more when he gets bigger.). Vladimir is a bad ass name!

8. m1ckey kn0x

m1ckey kn0x deranged derelict Site Donor

Man... Canada is awesome. I need to check it out up there one day.

Cute kid, cat! Congrats, brother. You too, @Miz .

Guess we're gonna see you a lot more around here the next ten months, eh!? Woo! I wish you the best on all of your endeavors. It is really great that you get to put your full focus on the boy growing up through this period and just plain enjoy life to the fullest. You're all going to do great.

Great thread idea, btw. My boy will be 8 in 2 months. Taking him and my youngest bro and sis to go bowling tonight and play at the arcade. It'll be the first time I've gone bowling with the kid. I went bowling with the girl a week or so ago for the first time in over 5-6 years. Was one of those things that sounded lame at the thought but had a lot of fun with her when we were doing it. Forgot how fun knocking strikes out can be. Plus I like to launch the ball down the lane like i'm trying to kill the pins. I got it up to 19mph.

Cat--Smasher, Qball1974 and Miz like this.
  9. Kevo

Kevo SMOKE BOMB!

I took 9 days off after the birth of my youngest. Got slammed by my boss for it.

Canada rocks

10. Miz

I love bowling. Before kids I used to do it once a week. Was never good but I loved it. 19 mph is great. I throw a curve so 16 mph is what I do. @m1ckey kn0x have you ever golfed? If you like bowling you’d love golf. You can do that year round in Florida.
    You golfed lately? Let’s meet in St. Louis for a ball game and golf.

11. m1ckey kn0x

m1ckey kn0x deranged derelict Site Donor

Speaking of bowling, it has been way too long since I've watched The Big Lebowski. Gonna put that on in the near future.

I suuuuck at golf, although, I have barely ever played. I just remember trying when I was a teenager and it was abysmal. It was like Happy Gilmore before he was any good. I'm sure I will pick it up one day though. I have actually been wanting to go to this driving range they have here in Jax called Top Golf. I'ts been here for years and I've had a ton of friends who have went, but I have still yet to check it out. Shit is 3 stories high, A/C cooled I believe, and is a really sweet spot. I've been talking about it lately. I'll prob give it a shot soon.

Miz likes this.
  12. Miz

They have top golf in St. Louis and KC. I’m two hours away. I’d love to do it. Wish I had millions of dollars and I’d put one here.

I’m average but I love golf, although it’s almost hunting season.

13. disposableassassin

disposableassassin Mutatis Mutandis Site Donor

I fell off the porch last night carrying the baby. My foot just gave out when I stepped off the first step and I fell straight to the ground. Went down hard. To save the baby I took the entire impact on my knees. Straight up and down. My foot, ankle, knees, hips, back, neck all fucked up. I feel like I was in a car wreck.

To top it off I was looking for my knee brace today and ripped the skin off the side of my finger on a box. Woohoo!

Poindexter likes this.
  14. Cat--Smasher

Yes it does. And I know one of the local library managers. Thanks for the great suggestion!
    All this golf talk has me thinking about disc golf.. I will have to work that back into the regular rotation. We have a park/disc golf course at the end of our road. He will be an age where I can bring the boy in his off-road stroller while I play a game.

I’ll be shooting a -7 by the end of 2020.

I have a grin on my face thinking about teaching him to throw a disc. Ben Askren won’t have shit on my boy.

Miz likes this.
  15. Miz

My professor used to play disc golf with Askren. Said he was really good. I haven’t played in years. I’m horrible.

Cat--Smasher likes this.
  16. Cat--Smasher

Ben is a professional disc golfer sponsored by Discraft, one of the biggest brands in the sport.
    http://discgolf.discraft.com/team_askren.html

You would be amazed how accurate some players are with a disc.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2019
    Miz and Poindexter like this.
  17. FrankieButNotEdgar

FrankieButNotEdgar Well-Known Member Site Donor

I was doing business deals in the delivery room and never took a day off. But I’m crazy and wish I didn’t work so much.

18. sourdough

sourdough Sourdough Site Donor

You cant be worse than me. Throwing a disc is the only thing I do right handed.

Miz likes this.