Post Your Movie Reviews Here

Discussion in 'Movie, TV, & Video Games' started by FrankieButNotEdgar, Aug 27, 2008.

1. Ninjastix

Ninjastix Damn Gina Site Donor

The Predator:

Cartoony shit. I don't think it's really worth dissecting. It has some good action sequences, some of the practical effects are quite good, and the characters are genuinely fun. But that's not enough to make a coherent and believable film. Or enjoyable.

It really was a live action cartoon, I was half expecting Jim Carrey or Jamie Kennedy to pull off the Predator mask. It's tries very hard to make you laugh but at the cost of making every situation less and less serious. It's a film that shackles itself.

Less. Do less. You only need 1 Predator with superhuman abilities and technology. A bigger Predator isn't any more threatening. That's how a child think. Bigger = stronger = better.

I can forgive the plot and the dialogue centered around forced relationships. Not gonna get upset over character motivations in what is essentially Friday the 13th part 6. But Predator works because everyone takes it seriously. Big macho, bad ass men are reduced to weak prey. Out gunned, out witted, and out manuevered by an invisible foe. It allows for fear, tension, and suspense. Even Predator 2 has some of those elements as does Predators.. but both fall way short of doing the series any justice.

This movie is a noisy fart, at a loud party, that is sparsely populated by people at various stages of sobriety. It's kinda funny, kinda depressing, but not really worth the time or energy to think about. And it's certainly not a story worth sharing.

2. Sakara=Excitement

Sakara=Excitement Live.Love.Learn Site Donor

Olivia Munn's character ruined the entire movie for me. In a movie about aliens who come from outer space to hunt and kill us for sport, her character was the most far fetched.

kc56 likes this.
  3. Noise

Noise Ruido

Good morning to everyone except those who thought Jared Leto's pussy ass Avril Lavigne of a Joker was worth a god damn cent.

Poindexter and Dimson like this.
  4. kc56

kc56 Well-Known Member

I second this.

The movie wasn’t “great” but as a fan of the predators, it was semi-enjoyable until Rihanna 2.0 was shoehorned into an otherwise decent B movie that I would have enjoyed if it weren’t for her being in it.

She certainly ruined the ending for me, and come to think of it, pretty much the whole movie experience.

The more that I reflect on it, the worse she made the movie.

Sakara=Excitement and Dimson like this.
  5. Sakara=Excitement

Sakara=Excitement Live.Love.Learn Site Donor

And I want to say that it wasn't Olivia Munn ruining the movie for me, it was her character.
    Show Spoiler
    A scientist with ZERO military training, combat training or hand to hand training, from the very beginning was running and gunning like she was an assassin. When the Predator breaks free at the beginning, she immediately grabs a tranq gun and is running around trying to shoot it (shoots herself and it only numbs her leg but we were led to believe it would knock out a Predator), attempts to shoot Boyd's character with a shotgun in the hotel, and then turns in to a military weapon in the 3rd act and is running and gunning and is comes in and helps kill the strongest Predator of all time. Fuck you writers.

6. Ninjastix

I found the kid more offensive than Munn. But what's interesting about her character is that it would seem there was one cut where she was the main character.. and that's not the cut they went with.

Another reviewer said it best, the problem with this film is that there's 0 tension. But my biggest problem with it is the film makes no sense. And not in a good way.

Look, if you haven't seen the film, 1st don't, but 2nd, semi-plot spoiler to follow.

The OG Predator wants to help humanity for.. reasons. The NBA Predator wants to prevent that because they eventually want our real estate ala Interstellar gentrification. Got it.

So why is OG killing, skinning, harvesting people throughout the film? Strange way to cooperate.

"Hey I got you a gift, but I'm gonna need to Sub Zero your spine real quick. That's just my culture, I don't mean nothing by it."

I really think this movie is a 9 year old child's interpretation of Alien vs. Predator Requiem. The more I think about it the more sense it makes to me.

kc56 likes this.
  7. Miz

Miz mortality, ka, and the Tower

Does the Lady Gaga and Bradley Cooper movie A Star is Born look good to you guys? They are really playing it up on commercials. Lady Gaga is weird for me as in I think she has IT but I don’t find her the least bit hot.

8. FrankieButNotEdgar

FrankieButNotEdgar Well-Known Member Site Donor

I’m going to see it this afternoon. I love biopics and this isn’t one but it has the feel of one. It’s in line with movies like Walk The Line, Country Strong and Crazy Heart. I can’t wait.

I did see Venom with the kids over the weekend. They dumbed it down too much for my liking in an effort to make it kid friendly. They should have just went the Deadpool route and went for the hard R. The kids loved it but I felt that if you’ve seen the trailers, you’ve seen the movie. There was nothing at all surprising about the movie.

The post credits scene was pretty damn good but also, very predictable.
    --- Post Added -- Oct 9, 2018, ---
    A Star Is Born was great and enjoyable throughout but the climax killed the entire movie for me.

9. FrankieButNotEdgar

Hostiles

Christian Bale, Rory Cochrane and Rosamund Pike are all great. The rest of the cast is rounded out with some familiar faces that you may not know the names of other than Ben Foster who only had a few scenes.

I was pleasantly surprised at how much I liked it.

8/10

Fedorlei Gomipierre likes this.
  10. Clark Kent

Clark Kent Well-Known Member

Loved the new Halloween, only thing is I didn’t understand the thing with the dr.

11. FrankieButNotEdgar

My 10 year old is starting to get into horror movies but I don’t want her watching stuff beyond PG-13. She loved “A Quiet Place” and we are watching “I Am Legend” right now.

12. Tapout

Tapout Bringing Sexy Back Site Donor

A star is born- fantastic movie. Bradley Cooper is outstanding and could be a music star if he wanted. 90%

Halloween (2018)- legit just a remake of the first one...40 years later. I hate stupid people in horror films and this was filled with them. 68%

Bad times at the El Royale- loved it. Good story telling. 83%

13. Bran

Bran The wolf dead.

Drag Me to Hell might be a good one to show her. I liked it a lot, and I remember it being pretty tame in terms of blood/murder/gore, but still pretty creepy.

14. FrankieButNotEdgar

Her mom would have an absolute shit fit over that one. Lol

15. Bran

Bran The wolf dead.

I haven't seen it in a while, but is it that bad? Pretty sure it's PG-13, too. I just remember a lot of creepy stuff like bugs and slime coming out of stuff.

16. Dimson

Dimson Your tears don't fall...

Child's Play would be a good starter horror film for her.

17. Bran

Bran The wolf dead.

Except that he’s looking at staying in the PG-13 range

18. FrankieButNotEdgar

It freaked me out a little bit way back then. Don’t remember too many specifics.
    --- Post Added -- Oct 21, 2018 at 4:42 PM, ---
    Yea, her mom isn’t gonna he cool with anything that’s rated R. She wants to see the new Halloween but that’s a no go. And she’s begging to see Predator.

19. Dimson

Dimson Your tears don't fall...

Maybe the original IT?

20. Ninjastix

Monster Squad. I also adore the Disney animated Sleepy Hollow featurette.

FrankieButNotEdgar likes this.