Post Your Movie Reviews Here

Discussion in 'Movie, TV, & Video Games' started by PatsWillPoundMyProlapsedChin, Aug 27, 2008.

1. Afro

Afro The Autumn Wind is a Raider

Fuck you, Jason Statham

Poindexter likes this.
  2. Noise

Noise Ruido

Justice League
    lol, foh. Refuse to believe anything short of someone intentionally sabotaging this shit because goddamn. Everything was awful. The villain, the acting, the weird tone of it, Aquaman playing a B-movie Thor or whatever that was, the 2004-era CGI, uh...Ben Affleck playing himself, tapping into some strange funny Bruce Wayne thing. Lots of laughs for all the wrong reasons.

This thing's biggest achievement was making me look that much more forward to Spawn.

disposableassassin and ATJ-Lucko like this.
  3. Dimson

Dimson Your tears don't fall...

You must be one of those paid Marvel critics @Nebraska is always rambling on about, lol.

Noise and disposableassassin like this.
  4. Bran

Bran The wolf dead.

That's my favorite conspiracy. Critics have hated every Zach Snyder movie to date, but the second he joined the DCU, they all got on Disney's payday. But somehow Disney couldn't afford to pay the critics for Wonder Woman. This one might go all the way to the top!

5. Nebraska

Nebraska Poindexter For President NFL S.P. Champion Site Donor

Let’s start off with an easy one: tone. Explain to me how that’s a legitimate critique of Justice League three weeks after Ragnarok landed at a 92% using the same formula.

Sakara=Excitement likes this.
  6. disposableassassin

disposableassassin I'd like to introduce you to my replacement Site Donor

I haven't watched it yet. I'm taking my son on his birthday next week. I kind of figured that given the fact that joss whedon stepped in to take over for snyder and called for a bunch of reshoots, that the film would be left a bit disjointed.

From what I've read that is the biggest issue with the tone of the film. It essentially feels like two diffrent movies.

Serious question, how much of your opinion of this film is bias? Personally I liked man of steel and loved wonder woman, but I thought BvS and suicide squad were garbage.

7. Noise

Noise Ruido

I love, love, love Man of Steel. On its own, so much fun and the tone was fucking awesome. And Watchmen.

But this shit? Like, what in the fuck - Ok, so every fucking joke was flat and stupid and tone-deaf. Ben Affleck, literally, played himself. "I'm rich." No one laughed after that shit, lol. On top of - Like, what CGI company did they use? The same one that italicized the UFC's logo a few years ago and got paid a bunch of money for it? Because this shit was on some Spy Kids 2 level production. So much of it seemed rushed, and glued together with stupid attempts at humor that fell short in damn near every scene. And the villain - what in the FUCK, :rofl:.

Everyone's so caught up with the conspiracies against the movies but don't talk about the blind push to support it no matter what, lol. Oh well. I think the external moves and situation DC is in is infinitely more fascinating than this heaping mound of smoldering shit, so life goes on :rip:.

SPAWN :ghost::ghost::ghost:

8. Tapout

Tapout Bringing Sexy Back Site Donor

Bad Moms Christmas- better than the first one. Some funny moments. 77%

Murder on the Orient Express- everyone is playing big characters. Big acting. Once you understand they are just having fun with then characters and tone, it’s a lot of fun. Good twist, I didn’t see coming. 86%

The man who invented Christmas- well this movie should be a play. It’s very wink wink to the audience every time a Christmas carol plot idea happens. I don’t see any appeal of Dan Stevens as an actor. It’s a feel good movie that is good for family. 70%

9. Bran

Bran The wolf dead.

I disagree entirely. Thor was nothing if not consistent in tone. Justice League was not. Also, I don't think many of the jokes in Justice League were very good. I liked both movies and had problems with both movies. But Thor at least knew what it was trying to do.

ATJ-Lucko likes this.
  10. ATJ-Lucko

ATJ-Lucko MMAtheist Survival Pool Champion

[​IMG]

Dimson likes this.
  11. FrankieButNotEdgar

FrankieButNotEdgar Well-Known Member Site Donor

12. Noise

Noise Ruido

Batman V Superman fucking sucked too though. And the reason cited by its apologists is complete horseshit - it had more to do with execution than tone. Shitty acting, poor script, Ben Affleck, and "Martha". None of those things have to do with the filter used; it was just a shitty movie with hype that failed.

"Martha" smh.

13. Nebraska

Show Spoiler
    Thor was all over the place in tone — the audience had absolutely no time to feel anything before it would shift in the complete opposite direction.

1. Odin dies then Valkyrie falls off her ship drunk in the next scene. The only time we see Thor even try to process the death of his father is when he’s sitting in the prison, which is immediately interrupted by Loki injecting humor into the scene, because we can’t have any feels in a Marvel movie.
    2. Hulk is a moron in every scene. Skurge is a moron in every scene. Matt Damon for fuck’s sake.
    3. Let’s talk about Loki’s MCU arc for a minute:
    - he’s the villain in Thor, sending The Destroyer to Earth to wipe out everything in its path, killing Thor without remorse, etc.
    - he’s the mass-murdering, mind-fucking villain in The Avengers, also tries to kill Stark by throwing him through the window of a skyscraper before unleashing an alien army to take over the planet
    - through his actions in ‘The Dark World’ he is inadvertently responsible for the death of Thor’s mother AND father...
    BUT! In ‘Ragnarok’ he’s so funny and witty, and he’s part of “the team” at the end, so forget all of that murder, deceit, destruction, and chaos stuff — he’s Loki and fans like him!
    4. Thor initiates ragnarok by having Loki (being the good hero sidekick that he is now) unleash Surtur, but as the giant fire demon is destroying the planet, let’s have Hulk punch it in the face and make Thor call him a “moron” because we can’t let the permanent destruction of the main character’s home be too heavy of a moment or anything like that.

...and as the planet explodes, let’s have Korg day something stupid, because again, too heavy of a moment. Then as Thor FINALLY ACCEPTS HIS RESPONSIBILITY AS KING OF ASGARD AT THE CONCLUSION OF HIS FIFTH FEATURE-LENGTH FILM, let’s really do this long-awaited moment justice by once again having Korg and his dead — but not actually dead — bug, Meek, interrupt the main character’s culmination, score, overall epic moment, etc. by saying something stupid and pointless. Again. For the second scene in a row.

Honestly, try watching that movie through the eyes of Idris Elba and Cate Blanchett. They were the only two actors who read a script involving thousands of deaths and the complete anihilation of Asgard and thought, hmm, maybe I should take my scenes seriously and ignore what this kooky director is trying to do with every other character I come across.

All that being said, does it work? Sure, it’s a fun formula that makes for an enjoyable experience. However, as objective critics, you can’t highlight the overall tone and slap a certified fresh 92% on it only to turn around two weeks later and hand out a Rotten 41% to Justice League for the very same reason.

Do I actually believe movie critics are being paid off by Marvel/Disney? No. That’s silly. But there is a growing hypocrisy out there now that anything involving the MCU is just so much fun, but if it came from Warner Brothers and has a DC logo in the opening credits it’s trash.
    I don’t have a bias. I’m a fan of Marvel and DC and have seen every single one of their movies in theaters multiple times with the lone exceptions being Ant-Man and Suicide Squad. ‘The Winter Soldier’ is my favorite comic book movie of all-time, so there is no bias. I’m right down the middle on Marvel and DC. I’ll be in line on opening night to see everything they produce.

disposableassassin likes this.
  14. Sakara=Excitement

Sakara=Excitement Live.Love.Learn Site Donor

I bet you're a blast at parties.
    --- Post Added -- Nov 29, 2017, ---
    There has been, without a doubt, a collective effort to downgrade DC properties. I can point to one thing to illustrate my point.....

Thor 2 is flat out awful. It may be one of the worst comic book movies ever committed to film. And even with that said it sits at a 66% on Rotten Tomatoes. We can possibly agree that a film like BvS is at least on par with it. I personally think that BvS is a much better film but lets say it really sucks just like Thor 2. But yet it sits at 27%. I would love to know how Thor 2 is ranked so much better than BvS?

15. ILJO

ILJO Soggy Bottom Boy Site Donor

So you think people's opinions are heavily influenced by the critics and this so-called hypocrisy?

16. Noise

Noise Ruido

lol, DC/Warner Bros. being completely oblivious as to why asking this type of backward self-defeating question is perfect.

17. Nebraska

Absolutely. Wonder Woman got a 92%, but only grossed ~$820 million because it came after Man of Steel (55%), Batman v Superman (27%), and Suicide Squad (26%).

Six MCU films pulled in a bigger haul than WW despite having lower RT scores. Perception eventually becomes reality in the minds an average consumer and critics have ruined DC for those individuals. I can’t tell how many arguments I got in with people in my area who tried to convince me that Justice League sucked BEFORE THEY HAD EVEN SEEN THE MOVIE.

Sakara=Excitement likes this.
  18. Dimson

Dimson Your tears don't fall...

So I hear Justice League will maybe break even. Is this true?

19. Rise

Rise Well-Known Member

Are we ruling out that the primary demographic for this style of movie is more inclined to go see a movie with a male lead as the hero ?

20. Nebraska

You can compare it to The Force Awakens and Catching Fire. Both had similar critical acclaim within the same demographic, but both hauled in more than Wonder Woman, especially TFA which is currently one of only three films ever to crack $2 billion at the worldwide box office.