1. War is peace. Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength. Discuss: "UFC Fight Night 123: Swanson vs. Ortega" Live Discussion *Spoilers*. Prelims commence at 6:30 p.m. ET on Fight Pass.
    Dismiss Notice

Post Your Movie Reviews Here

Discussion in 'Movie, TV, & Video Games' started by PatsWillPoundMyProlapsedChin, Aug 27, 2008.

1. PatsWillPoundMyProlapsedChin

PatsWillPoundMyProlapsedChin Well-Known Member Site Donor

Much respect to Clint for the idea and to JoeSon for requesting it.

Post all of your movie reviews here. Here are my first 2 for the new site.

Redbelt

I went into this movie knowing that it wasn't an "MMA" movie. So with that said, the movie was very good. It had an excellent story and flowed smoothly.

There were some good actors with some good turns. I would definitely recommend the movie. Just remember, it's not an "MMA" movie. It's a movie that has MMA in it.

What Happens In Vegas

I missed this when it was in theaters but it looked funny to me. I wasn't disappointed. It's very funny and it's a little sappy at the same time. That's okay though if you're watching it with a female and you have some sort of emotion regarding love.

I'd recommend it to anyone who isn't a miserable prick. You'll like it. If you hate women, not so much.

Props to Sandy for recommending Felon. I'll post a review on it later.

2. PatsWillPoundMyProlapsedChin

Thanks again to Sandy for the recommendation. I just finished "Felon" with Stephen Dorff and Val Kilmer. It was a pretty decent movie and great for a prison movie. Not "Shawshank" great but better than some of those crappy direct to dvd jobs that come out every now and again.

Just a synopsis of the story. Stephen Dorff and his fiance just opened up a construction business together. One night while sleeping, a burglar breaks in and Stephen Dorff chases him outside with a bat. He hits the guy in the head, killing him.

The police say because he chased the guy outside, the guy was trying to get away no longer being a thread which takes away self-defense. So he's given a short sentence for involuntary manslaughter and put in a cell with Val Kilmer who killed 16 people.

The movie is pretty much the story of a law abiding citizen who goes to prison for a mistake and how he copes with life on the inside. It's a rental, straight to dvd but a solid recommendation. 7/10

3. keno5366

keno5366 New Member

Just watch True romance the other night. I've seen it a while ago but I figured it was worth the view anyways. Good movie, lot of good actors, crazy plot. Definitely a good watch.

Staying in the theme of Christan slater I also watched Heathers. Classic movie and wynonna rider isn't bad to look at either. The " I love my dead gay son"
    line is always worth a laugh.

4. Tapout

Tapout Bringing Sexy Back Site Donor

The House Bunny- The movie was hilarious. I love Ana Faris!

5. SandyWH

SandyWH CHAOS KREATOR

I had a big movie weekend, for me anyway. And I actually went out and bought these movies instead of stealing them off the net.

Off to the reviews:

Transformers
    Solid movie, thought the action shots were good, and the story was solid. The chick in that movie is hot as fuck. I know there is a sequel coming, and I cannot wait, it should be awesome. And for the record I am now going to buy one of the new Camaros. B

Shoot 'Em Up
    This movie is at the top of a short list of my favorite movies. First of all, any movie with Monica Bellucci gets an automatic upgrade from me, and the fact that she plays a lactating hooker gets me hard just thinking about it. The body count was insane. And some of the scenes and action sequences were unreal and original. I now see carrots as a toughguy food. A

SuperBad
    Had some very funny points. And every, or just about every dude had a conversation like these guys had at one point. McLovin was kinda cool. All in all it was a great loser teenager movie. I like stupid humor, but not too much. B-

6. Severn

Severn Master of the Iron Claw

Maschera del demonio, La
    AKA Black Sunday, The Mask of Satan
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1n2At1J0tko

[​IMG]

I've been looking for this one for a long time and I saw it today finally. It's a Mario Bava classic and I'd say this movie reminds me of the Hammer films of 40+ years ago (the good ones). It's very well shot, has intense violence for it's time and it doesn't feel campy at all.

[​IMG]

It's repulsive eroticism is very well done and it kinda reminds me of Hellraiser II when Dr. Chanard is making out with a chick with no skin. Barbara Steele is IMO the hottest chick to ever do horror. While she doesn't have the slutty "fuck me I'm obviously hot" vibe of Linnea Quigley has she has this gothic and exotic look to her that I sure as fuck find attractive. To me she's stunning.

[​IMG]

I give this movie 5/5 and it's really one of the best horror movies ever made.

7. PatsWillPoundMyProlapsedChin

My wife has sat through a ton of movies this year with me that she has absolutely hated, some of which I hated too, like "Cloverfield" and "No Country For Old Men."

So a little over a month ago, I saw that "Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles" was coming out on DVD and then I saw the trailer for "Terminator: Salvation", and it got me in the mood to watch all of the Terminator movies and this show on DVD. So, I had to make a deal with my wife. That deal was that I would watch all 6 seasons of "Sex and the City" with her and take her to the movies to see the movie if she would watch the Terminator stuff with me. So here goes my review for the 6 seasons which we finally finished watching last night. I'm taking her to see the movie Friday. (Thank God it's at the dollar theater now.)

Season 1 and 2 are so old on dvd now that on my HD TV they look grainy and like crap and the sound sucks. The show is about 4 New York chicks who are so pretentious and stuck on themselves it's pathetic. They get together and talk and buy clothes and shoes and it sucks.

However, somewhere around Season 3, the show starts to get better. I don't know if the writers were like, we have got to do something to make these characters likeable but the show took a turn. It was mildly entertaining from Season 3 on but I wouldn't recommend watching it unless you are watching it with your girlfriend or wife. They finally to start to involve themselves in relationships and the show becomes less about them and more about their relationships.

The good thing is there are only 12-18 episodes per season and each episode runs 25 minutes so they are easy to run through. I'd give it a 5/10. I'll review the movie when we are done seeing it.

Now to finish "Terminator: Sarah Connor Chronicles" which I have 3 episodes left on.

8. Clint

Clint Administrator Staff Member

Watched Mr Brooks last night. Very good film. Kept me intrigued through out the whole movie

I've really got to dig this movie up

That just amkes me want to watch return of the living dead again

9. PatsWillPoundMyProlapsedChin

Bait Shop

Bill Engvall from the Blue Collar Comedy group stars with Billy Ray Cyrus (Hannah Montana's dad) in this movie about competitive bass fisherman.

Engvall owns a mom and pop bait shop on a lake that the bank is foreclosing on. Cyrus opens a big chain style bass shop across the street. The only way to save the bass shop is for Engvall to enter a bass tournament against Cyrus and win the prize money. Hijinks ensue.

The movie is very cheaply made and was only made to capitilize on the stars. It wasn't very funny and was "very independent" aka cheap looking.

I'd give it a 3/10. There were some funny stuff but not enough to keep me entertained.

The Promotion

Seann William Scott (Stifler) and John C. Reilly (Will Ferrell's movie buddy) star in this dark comedy about competing grocery store assistant managers vying for a promotion at a new grocery store.

It reminded me alot of "Employee of the Month" with Dane Cook but without being funny at all. It had parts that make you smirk but remember, it's a dark comedy so it's not going to make you bust a gut. If you like stuff like "The Cable Guy," you might like it but I didn't find it all that amusing.

There were a few parts that were alright like when a store exec walks up behind John C. Reilly when he's talking about a retard masturbating but they were few and far between.

I'd give it a 4/10.

How To Rob A Bank

This movie starred smoking hot Erika Christensen, Nick Stahl, Gavin Rossdale, and David Carradine. Nick Stahl and Erika Christensen are stuck in a bank vault during a robbery by Gavin Rossdale. The entire movie revolves around an elaborate scheme to create a bank card that will ciphen money off of people's checking account, pennies at the time.

It has a complex story line and has some humor as well. It's only an hour and 15 minutes so it's worth a try. It's no "Inside Man" but an entertaining movie made by IFC (Independent Film Channel).

6/10

Baby Mama

I wanted to see this when it was in theaters but I never got around to it. It came out on dvd today so I picked it up.

If you like Amy Poehler and Tina Fey together on Saturday Night Live, you'll love the movie. It's pretty much a movie for everyone. It's hilarious and sappy at the same time.

Fey plays a career business woman who wants to have a child. She's told that she has a 1 in a million chance of getting pregnant and after repeated attempts at adopting fail, she searches for a surrogate mother. Enter Poehler, the white trash surrogate chosen to carry Fey's fertilized eggs. The fun starts here and it doesn't disappoint.

SNL alums Fred Armisen, Steve Martin, and Will Forte are also in it.

Steve Martin plays some hippy, creepy boss of Feys. He's not funny at all in it but the movie was good.

7/10

10. kc56

kc56 Free Dirty!

Coy, I had a new name for you.

Peter Travers of Rolling Stone. That guy loves every single movie he has ever seen.

Glad to see you started to turn on some movies. As far as you warming up to Sex in the City? I think that eventually Sex in the City may in fact start to rot the brain over time, so I don't hold it against you. Lol.

Here are a few of mine.

City of God- 9.5/10. Simply one of the best movies I have seen. Great story line, pacing, editing, and excellent character development. The only knock I can see on it would be that it may be too violent for some people.

The Happening. 0/10. Without a doubt the worst movie I have seen in years. Everything about this movie was terrible. To put things in perspective, I watch sci-fi channel originals with a budget equal to what I just paid today for a car wash, that far surpass this movie in every sense. Mark Wahlberg should be embarrassed to have his name attached to this movie. In his defense though, I don't think he took it too seriously (and it showed). After I finished watching this movie I wanted to purchase a copy on dvd and snap it in half while screaming "give me back those 2 hours!"

The Kingdom -7.5 or 8/10. I have seen this movie several times, and actually have the HD-DVD of it as well. It deals with a terrorist attack on Americans in the Saudi Kingdom.
    I think it is well done and has a good cast featuring Jamie Foxx, Chris Cooper, Jennifer Garner, Jason Bateman, Richard Jenkins, and even Jeremy Piven. The last 30 minutes of this movie are pretty much as intense as anything else you will find in action movies.

11. PatsWillPoundMyProlapsedChin

I actually liked "The Happening" all the way until they started talking about the trees causing it and all that garbage and then the ending was horrendous. It seems like M. Knight Shymalan has a great idea and then another idea to just completely screw up his original idea.

As for me liking every movie, I usually try to stay away from movies that I know I won't like. But here are a couple that I had high hopes for that I hated.

"No Country For Old Men"

I am a big fan of the Coen Brothers. Everything they've done since "Lebowski" has been pretty much gold and when I heard they were doing a thriller with a vicious killer, I was stoked.

The movie didn't come out in my area since I live in a small town so I had to wait the extra few months for the dvd. The day it came out, I bought it and rushed home from work to watch it. I almost cut it off several times but I stuck with it. SPOILER ALERT (IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN IT AND MIGHT WANT TO, STOP READING)

The movie was slow, drawn out and just tedious. Then all of a sudden the main character of the movie is dead, and you don't even see it happen. It ends with Tommy Lee Jones doing some long, convoluted monologue and the credits rolling. I couldn't believe that was it. I was so pissed.

The bright side is it went on Ebay and it sold for more than what I paid for it.

I give it a 2/10.

Cloverfield

Take everything I just said about "No Country For Old Men" regarding the anticipation and apply it to this movie. I went out and spent 30 dollars on the steelbook version and rushed home to watch it.

What a load it was. The camera shaking made me nauseous, the monster looked goofy and again with the terrible ending. I just kept throwing up in my mouth repeatedly.

And I know it was supposed to have that home camera thing working but a low budget horror movie from Romero called "Diary of the Dead" did it as well and they nailed it where this piece of garbage should be steamrolled in the street.

3/10

12. kc56

kc56 Free Dirty!

Ok, so
    **Spoiler Alert**
    In The Happening, they go against All M. Night films and reveal the twist about 10 minutes into the movie, and yeah, I made it about that far in, and turned on it in a hurry.

As far as No Country For Old Men? I actually liked it, and thought that if any movie that season was guilty of the horrendously slow pacing, that would be There Will Be Blood. That movie was IMO easily a good hour longer than it needed to be. In retrospect, it felt devoid of something, and I am guessing that something was background music, which made the movie drag even longer.

NCFOM
    7/10

There Will be Blood
    3.5/10

Cloverfield was very similar to Blair Witch IMO. It was different, but does not stand up to multiple viewings.
    5/10 IMO

And I do agree with the dislike of the shaky cam. That is one of the reasons I didn't really care for the Bourne movies.

13. PatsWillPoundMyProlapsedChin

48 Hours and Another 48 Hours

I saw these movies as a kid but it's been many years since I saw them. They were pretty decent action movies that still hold up today.

I did think being that Eddie Murphy was in them that they would be funnier but they made pretty decent 80's era action movies.

It's always funny to go back and watch these types of movies. The music, the clothing style and all the shootouts are with revolvers. It's funny to see these old styled guns and bullets flying yet hardly anyone has to stop and reload.

Anyway, for those who haven't seen the movies, Eddie Murphy plays a convict who gets out of jail for 48 hours to help Nick Nolte track down an escaped killer who Murphy did some business with before going to prison.

In the sequel, the brother of the escaped killer from the first movie is out to kill Eddie Murphy and Nick Nolte.

If you're a fan of Murphy, they're worth checking out.

6/10

Tyler Perry's Daddy's Little Girls

I liked the movie and I don't really know why. I guess growing up in a terrible childhood, I was able to sympathize with the characters but I liked it.

We were at my mother in laws and they were watching it on Showtime so we caught it at home and I must say I was surprised that I did like it.

Idris Elba (The guy that played Stringer Bell in "The Wire") plays a single father of 3 girls who is trying to get his life together after getting out of prison. His ex, the mother of the girls, is dating a drug dealer and she wants the girls just for spite. After an accident at the house while he's at work, the mother gets custody and begins having one of the girls sell drugs at school and her boyfriend is beating one of the other girls.

The dad falls for a lady he's driving around as his second job and she becomes his lawyer. Pretty decent movie if you can get into sappy movies.

7/10

14. Rufio

Rufio New Member

Dr. Strangelove

I finally got around to seeing this, via TCM. Such an amazing movie. Many parts of it, especially the end, have that great "funny because it's true" feeling. This is the king of all Cold War movies ... Aside from Rocky IV.

9/10

15. PatsWillPoundMyProlapsedChin

Burn Notice: Season 1

Since the invention of DVR, I've been watching more and more television shows so of course there were tons of shows that I had wanted to watch for years that I am catching up on now. Over the past 2 years, I've watched Oz, 24, The Shield, Sex and The City, The Sopranos, The Wire, etc., all on dvd.

So a few months back, I saw a preview for the 2nd season of this show "Burn Notice" on the USA Network. I thought it looked cool so I started tivoing it each week. I won't watch something out of sequential order so I just Tivo'd it until I could get around to the first season on dvd. I just finished the first season and it was better than I expected.

It's about a CIA spy named Michael Weston who gets outed in the middle of a mission in Africa. He gets beaten and barely escapes with his life. He wakes up a few days later in his hometown of Miami, FL but the government has frozen his assets, bank accounts and credit cards. So for money, he becomes an unlicensed private investigator while at the same time investigating why and who "burned" him.

I almost didn't watch it because I was itching to watch the X-Files, which I've never seen. But I'm glad I did. It's one of my favorite new shows. I finished it just in time too because the 2nd season ends either this week or next and I have the entire 2nd season Tivo'd.

9/10

Next up in my television show on dvd queue is "Entourage". I just recorded the first and second episode and am currently waiting on the first season to be shipped from Blockbuster online. By the time I work my way through the 4 seasons of the show already on dvd, this season will be lined up on my TIVO and I can watch it too.

16. marco47

marco47 Well-Known Member

The Hammer with Adam Corrolla. Yes, it is actually pretty good. Its about Adam's character (a 40 year old) returning to boxing and a possible spot on the olympic boxing team. Its funny and original with a bit of love story thrown in there as well. Adam's mexican side kick is hilarious. It didn't sound great when i rented it but they actually pulled it off IMO. 8/10.

Forbidden Kingdom Just OK. Kind of corny but not too bad. Some good fight sequences between Jet Li and Jackie Chan. If you like Martial Arts movies you probably wont be disappointed in this one. 6/10.

17. Mac

Mac Member<br>I am Macatron!

Baby Mama-Funny movie with vulgar comedy that was better than I thought. I went in expecting very little but was pleasantly surprised. That Tina Fey is a funny writer. Overall 7/10 for a comedy.

Forbidden Kingdom-Little let down by this one. Good visuals some funny stuff with Jackie Chan, but not impressed at all with the main kid. I really like the old kung fu movies and this one had some decent action but overall was a let down. 5/10 for an action/comedy.

18. PatsWillPoundMyProlapsedChin

The Mummy

I never really wanted to watch this movie or the sequels or spin-offs but the wife wants to see the Tomb of the Dragon Emperor and I just got free tickets to see it with a dvd I bought, so I said what the heck and watched this one and the second one.

Surprisingly, I wasn't miserable watching it. I was mildly entertained by it. Brendan Fraser does his typical schtick and Rachel Weisz is her usual gorgeous self. The movie is mildly funny and has some decent action.

6/10

The Mummy Returns

Let me start by saying that I am all for sequels, prequels, spinoffs, etc., as long as they are good. This was not even remotely good.

While I thought the first one was pretty decent, this one sucked. It was corny, not funny, just a terrible play on being a sequel to the first one.

If you're going to do a sequel that directly follows the 1st one, at least make the storyline interesting. This one was terrible. To think, this movie actually has a spin-off and a sequel to that spin-off is beyond me.

2/10

The Love Guru

I've been up and down on this movie since I heard about it. I saw photos of it and thought it looked terrible. Then I saw the trailer and thought it looked funny. I read reviews and decided to wait for the dvd. I am so glad I waited.

I've always been a fan of Mike Myer's character comedy. The Austin Powers movies were hilarious to me. This is no Austin Powers.

All of the jokes were predictable, Myer's character was corny. This movie flat out sucked. I wouldn't recommend this unless you're tortuing someone.

2/10

19. Bigshanks

Bigshanks You think you're hard man?

Man I watched that movie on DVD last week and I laughed my ass off. I thought that movie was fuckin hilarious. Yes some of the jokes were a bit predictable but funny regardless.

"Did anyone order a Quebec Pizza?"

Pop-tarts with ketchup.....Gross lmfao.

I give it a 6-7/10

20. Mastershake

Mastershake There once was a man-----

Igor--

Took my son to it, I enjoyed it had some pretty decent adult humor, but more important is my son loved it, he is a little over 3 1/2yrs. It kept his attention the whole time, so I think that is about as good as it gets for a childrens movie review.