Peter King on the Ravens QB Situation

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by FrankieButNotEdgar, Feb 11, 2013.

1. FrankieButNotEdgar

FrankieButNotEdgar Well-Known Member Site Donor

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nf...ack-peter-king-offseason-week-1/?sct=uk_wr_a1

Flacco deserves to be paid but I think positions should have a cap number, just like a team. Paying one player 1/6th of the cap for the entire team is a bad idea. I'd cap QB between 12-15 million, Brady, Brees & Manning included. The 2-14 Colts can attest to that. You can't build properly around your best player if you're paying them all that money. You're going to have teams every once in a while like the Patriots that can build a team with lesser known players, but at the same time, the Pats haven't won a Super Bowl since Brady's big pay days started coming in either.

If I were the Ravens, I think I'd have to let Flacco go and trade for Alex Smith. He's a step back, not that far back, but what's the point if you can only pay one guy and lose other significant pieces to your team. At the same time, if I were Flacco, I'd take a smaller contract in the 15 million dollar range to help the team build around me. I don't understand why more QBs don't do that.

2. TheBonger

TheBonger Active Member

no way in hell the ravens let Flacco walk, peter king is the biggest tool in all of sports media.

3. foundstarr

foundstarr Inspector SpaceTime Site Donor

Curious, has any superbowl winning QB gone into free agency?

4. marco47

marco47 Well-Known Member

I believe Trent Dilfer did after he won the Super Bowl with Baltimore in 2000.

5. FrankieButNotEdgar

Peter King is very well respected and its not a matter of the Ravens just letting him walk. It's about whether they can afford to keep him. They're over the salary cap and have key pieces of that team entering free agency. It's not an opportune time to give one player 20 million a year.

6. RF76

RF76 beach bum

Yeah but he wasn't really a QB.

Actually I think Mark Rypien and Jeff Hostetler were two winning QB's that went to other teams after winning the super bowl. That was right around when free agency was instituted.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2013
  7. TheBonger

TheBonger Active Member

no Rypien won the SB for us in 91, wasnt let go until 94 when he just couldnt get heathly. And im almost 100% sure Hoss wasnt let go by the Giants until a couple years after winning the SB as well but he doesnt really count because he was never the starter, Phil Simms was the only reason Hoestler played in that SB was because of Simms injury. And again Peter King is a hack.. I would bet my house Flacco is a raven come the start of next season, with all the backlash they received from letting Dilfer go after his SB win there is just no way they let Flacco walk, just not happening.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2013
  8. FrankieButNotEdgar

It's not even a matter of them "letting him go." Flacco wants a deal the Ravens can't give him. Newsome and Biscotti already said they will not hamstring the team by overspending again the way they did after their last Super Bowl win going after another run. I expect Flacco to budge a few million off that 20 mil a year tag to stay with the team but its gonna take both parties to get a mutual deal done. The Ravens are over the cap 5 million already with none of the money spent allocated to Flacco since he's not even under contract right now.

9. TheBonger

TheBonger Active Member

so yea the Ravens agreed to make Flacco the highest paid player in the NFL history today. One more time Peter King is a fat ass hack.

10. ATJ-Lucko

ATJ-Lucko Champ-Champ

Adam Schefter is reporting that the deal is for six-years, $120.6 million, making Flacco the highest paid player in NFL history.

king wasn't that far off

11. TheBonger

TheBonger Active Member

if you read the whole article he was completely off.

12. FrankieButNotEdgar

I support Flacco, love the Ravens but hate this deal. There needs to be a cap on positional contracts. One playing 1/6th of the cap for 53 players is too much. If you are gonna cap a team and cap rookies, cap the position. I think this hurts the Ravens in the long run. I also think Bree's contract hurts the Saints.

13. Poindexter

Poindexter Reputation: ∞ Staff Member

F the Ravens after the bullshit calls.