PD: Fat Loser

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by Poindexter, Jan 12, 2015.

1. Palma

Palma I am chaos

I don't recommend trying to get in shape before, unless you are nearly bedridden with obesity.

Monsonbychoke, m1ckey kn0x and Miz like this.
  2. Ninjastix

Ninjastix Damn Gina Site Donor

This is unrelated. Well, semi-related. Maybe unrelated. You tell me?

Didn't you fart on Jake Shield's brother during BJJ training? Or did I imagine that story? I'm happy to live with either result.

3. Miz

Miz mortality, ka, and the Tower

I hate when some dirty stinking animal decides to throw up a triangle or mount you. Take a shower before and wash you gi after each use.

My buddy/instructor says a lot of people’s excuse about not starting or coming back to training is that they say they want to get into shape before. He says you will get into shape when you come. Grappling shape is also different. You could be in really good shape and be hurffing and puffing if you’re not used to grappling. I have to get back into it. I walked today around a lake with my son strapped to my chest. Small steps. I’ve also got to get used to the fact if I go do Bjj again that I’m going to suck for a few weeks. I try to not let pride get involved but having white belts tap me for a few weeks is not going to be fun. I have to just let that go. I know I’ll feel good if I go. I was never good but I can give a good roll when I’m in it.

My instructor is competing at the masters worlds today. Hope he wins today!

Last edited: Aug 23, 2018
    m1ckey kn0x and Ninjastix like this.
  4. Palma

Palma I am chaos

Quite possible. I don't remember. The last time I trained with him was about 8 years ago. But I fart on most people, so probably.

Dimson, chrisc and Ninjastix like this.
  5. chrisc

chrisc Ninja

I fart on people too.

....and don’t even do BJJ

Monsonbychoke, Palma, Dimson and 2 others like this.
  6. m1ckey kn0x

m1ckey kn0x deranged derelict Site Donor

You know what, I may just do that. I’ve always wanted to but was never able to afford it or fit it into my hectic life. I also always felt that I needed to be in really good shape before taking up a martial art like jits or that I would be ashamed and judged. That’s how I felt especially now. I’m a prideful guy when it comes to that kind of thing. I never look down on others and personally encourage anyone who’s trying but I can’t say the same for everyone. I didn’t want to be embarrassed about being fat and out of shape. But idk, after reading into a couple schools, I kind of feel that maybe it won’t be like that and people are good to each other in there. Most BJJ places anyway.

I want to put my almost 7 yr old into the kids class as well. I always said I wanted to put him into martial arts young. I don’t know how I’ll do all of this whenever I get a normal hour and commited job or business but hey, I don’t know when that will be so I may as well take advantage of the freedom while it’s there I suppose. It’s exciting to think about.

Palma, Miz and Kano like this.
  7. Miz

I would never make fun of someone who is out of shape who is trying to better them self. Quite the opposite. I would admire them. Fuck anyone who would do that. In my limited world experience Bjj people are very open minded and smart. Most of them are humble and willing to help. My gym has beginner classes.

m1ckey kn0x likes this.
  8. Palma

Palma I am chaos

You'll be surprised how 99% of bjj schools are nonjudgmental and accepting of all people. It's a huge part of the culture and what the Art is about.

Poindexter and m1ckey kn0x like this.
  9. Miz

Day 15 of whole 30 and I’m down 12 pounds. 192 down to 180. I’ve also been exercising. Walking and using some exercise bands (I also have cut wood twice). My goal was 175 but I should be able to do that no problem. Last time I did whole 30 I did it then I just went back to my old habits. This time I want this to be a life style change. I’ll probably throw in some foods I like and maybe have a reward day. Still figuring out what I’ll do there. Point is I don’t want to just go back to eating crap.

When I walk I do it with my six month old strapped to my chest. I think this walking more is helping my plantar fasciitis. I’d love for my feet to get healthy enough to run. Till then I can ride my bike.

10. Miz

Day 25. I’m hanging tough at about 180-181 still. Not sure I’ll make 175 but I’ve changed my goal a bit. I’d like to still get there but I’m now just more focused on getting in shape. Still walking with my son everyday but now I’ve been doing daily push ups, sit ups, and squats with dumb bells. Going to really try to tone up. I split some wood and cut up a tree for a friend the other day as well.

I just need to formulate a plan to stay on the tracks when day 30 comes. I feel so good from eating right, but I know I’ll want to pig out occasionally.

Saw my former coworkers today and one said, wow you lost weight. That made me feel good. I think the people around you don’t notice cause it’s gradual.

I’ve cut back on a med I use for anxiety and depression. I think that and eating well has given me back my drive to workout. I’m also not as tired anymore. The med also might have made me gain weight as that is a side effect.

Poindexter likes this.
  11. JeterLover27

JeterLover27 Well-Known Member

My oldest (6yo) started BJJ and he loves it. From what I have been told he is picking the minor stuff up really well thus far. As of now he is going twice a week.

Miz likes this.
  12. Miz

Awesome. I coach it. Been coaching for about 4 years. You should start doing it. Sometimes I wonder why I’m teaching my kids how to kick my ass someday.

13. Miz

Day 30 and I’m 178. Didn’t reach my goal of 175 but 14 pounds is pretty good. I’m going to try to keep this train a going. I’ve only ate meat, veggies, fruits, and nuts for the past thirty days. Last time I did this I went right back to my old habits. This time I’m going to just throw back in dairy at first to see how that effects me. I honestly don’t feel like eating crap or drinking and I’d like to keep it that way.

Kano likes this.
  14. Poindexter

Poindexter Reputation: ∞ Staff Member

Keep a-going! Nice accomplishment man.

Miz likes this.