1. It’s not a thirst for blood, not at all—but an astonishment, an appreciation for the capabilities of a human that bares his soul naked for the art of combat using strictly his body. That’s entertainment. "UFC Fight Night 139: Korean Zombie vs. Rodríguez" Live Discussion *Spoilers*. Prelims begin at 7:00 p.m. ET on Fight Pass.
    Dismiss Notice

Oh, Damn! Diaz-Poirier at MSG - UFC 230

Discussion in 'General MMA Forum' started by Nebraska, Aug 2, 2018.

1. Cat--Smasher

Cat--Smasher Putting the stamp on kids Staff Member

2. Nebraska

Nebraska Poindexter For President NFL S.P. Champion Site Donor

Am I living in the Twilight Zone? Why is Nate getting trashed from every direction after his opponent pulled out of the fight? Is Dana just mad still that Nate figuratively strangled 8 figures out of him after literally strangling his golden goose?

ATJ-Lucko likes this.
  3. ATJ-Lucko

ATJ-Lucko MMAtheist Survival Pool Champion

dana hates to be leveraged, he is also a giant dickhead who is not really a great promoter like people think he is.

helipoison likes this.
  4. SandyWH

SandyWH CHAOS KREATOR

filled in the blanks in Dana's statement.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 19, 2018
    TriangleSmoke and helipoison like this.
  5. NotSoDarkAngel

NotSoDarkAngel Well-Known Member

All of that, but Diaz has almost never come off as a guy who really WANTS to fight. Everytime he gets a fight booked it seems like Dana/UFC is pulling teeth just to make it happen. Employees like that usually aren’t worth the effort.

AnchorPunch likes this.
  6. Poindexter

Poindexter Reputation: ∞ Staff Member

Tell that to their accountants.

TriangleSmoke likes this.
  7. GangGreenWarrior

GangGreenWarrior Well-Known Member

Don't disturb them, they're still busy counting the money from the last PPV. That one with the guy who goes on every media outlet possible and promotes the shit out of his fights.

8. SandyWH

SandyWH CHAOS KREATOR

So, let me get this right......

Side A negotiates with Side B on a deal. Side A agrees to do a job at their lowest acceptable rate, and Side B is willing to pay for that job at their highest acceptable rate. And then when the deal changes one side wants to change the compensation. Sounds like business.

And who are these Diaz brothers anyway? How dare two idiot kids from Stockton, CA that smoke weed and play with nunchucks and ride bicycles make such demands. They act like they are concerned about putting their bodies, their health, their futures, their families, their finances all at risk every time they allow another human to punch them in face. They should want to do this shit for free. They should be begging UFC for a chance to have their bones broken, heads split open, muscles torn in front of thousands of fans.

Again, I find it funny that some pro-MMA union guys are so anti-Diaz when it comes to how they conduct their contract business.
    --- Post Added -- Oct 19, 2018, ---
    Are you talking about Conor? The guy that did literal zero promo work for Diaz v McG 2?

TriangleSmoke and Poindexter like this.
  9. Nebraska

You mean the guy who got pulled from UFC 200 for refusing to promote his fight? The same guy who has shown up late to every press conference since?

TriangleSmoke, thumper and SandyWH like this.
  10. GangGreenWarrior

Casuals don't watch press conferences. Casuals watch the clips and soundbites replayed endlessly on all the sports shows.

11. Nebraska

What soundbite did he provide at UFC 200 when Nate showed up to “promote the shit out of” the rematch while Conor went on a shopping spree in Iceland?

12. GangGreenWarrior

Start here: http://teamcoco.com/celebs/conor-mcgregor?page=2

And then go through any sports show during the 202 time period that covers Conor as opposed to never covering MMA. You don't hit the huge buyrates without getting heard outside the MMA community. Conor can do it, that's why you tolerate all his bullshit. Others can't.

13. Nebraska

So what you’re really saying is that the mainstream media promotes the shit out of his fights.

14. AnchorPunch

AnchorPunch Well-Known Member Site Donor

This. I've been in multiple business decisions where someone was considered great for outcomes but too much of a pain to keep working with.

Part of it is completely rational: the more time you spend negotiating, the less time you have to negotiate other fights. And the more likely someone is to renegotiate even after accepting the fight (what Nate did by demanding 165 after signing for 155) then the more risk that fighter is injecting into the business. And you GET paid for risk, not pay for it. (Nate really missed this part of his negotiating tactics.)

Some of it is irrational: leaders don't like dealing with hassles any more than other people. They just have more power to demonstrate it.

I would say all the words coming from Nate and Dana about each other are wrong. They're two people who hit a bad negotiating dynamic but it's addressable. And it's what a manager is supposed to be doing. Didnt Nate just get new representation too?

15. TriangleSmoke

TriangleSmoke Motherfucker of the Century Site Donor

Fuck yea he is. Not to mention Dana shat all over him about not being a draw, and that blew up in his face too.

16. helipoison

helipoison Well-Known Member

I agree with all of this and I will take it one step further. I have almost gotten the sense that Dana/WME have gotten to the point where they seem to paint Nate as the bad guy constantly instead of embracing some of the things he's doing to create interest in his fights. I think it comes down to, Nate is trying to be recognized in the same light as Conor, but without the polish and that is a great misstep on his behalf. I also think the UFC would just as soon bury the Diaz brothers and take every opportunity to stick it to them so they can be rid of them without feeling like they have lost a significant asset. Both parties I feel are missing out on a great opportunity to make some serious $$$ and really the fans lose in this situation.

AnchorPunch and Kano like this.
  17. Nebraska

Goddamnit, Nate!

(am I doing this right?)

18. Qball1974

Qball1974 Tower of Song Site Donor

Dam shame they can pull this shit and you can't get your ticket money back.

AnchorPunch likes this.
  19. SandyWH

SandyWH CHAOS KREATOR

Other than spewing out some bullshit on twitter to get some attention on the fight, where is there evidence that Nate demanded 165?
    Is it more likely that UFC mentioned needing a title fight for 230 in order to "sell it" more, and Nate reacted with a "well then let's make a 165 belt and we'll fight for it"?
    Again, Nate knows his value better than UFC does at this point. But Nate's not as dumb as Cowboy Cerrone and getting his head cracked for $300k when he can get paid $1M -$5M for it.
    And again, regardless of what one may say on fucking twitter, Nate was ready to fight.

Nate has a name in the outside-UFC world. Nate has a great shit-talking game. Nate is relatable by lots of fans. Nate has ample amounts of haters. Nate has an exciting style of fighting. Nate Diaz makes money for UFC. UFC knows that. Nate knows that. UFC isn't willing to give Nate a larger cut of that money, yet. And again, who is hurt more by nate not fighting? Is it Nate? Nate is still sitting on his $5M Conor rematch. As long as he doesn't lose before that fight materializes, he makes $5M easy. Whether its in 2018 or in 2022 that fight will make money for Nate. Or is UFC the one losing out more? UFC the organization that is literally starving for main event PPV draws. If Nate alone is good for 200K buys, which many believe he is. Then he's already ahead of half of this year's PPVs, title or not. And yet, instead of paying Nate what he's worth as a 200K buy guy, they let him sit.
    --- Post Added -- Oct 19, 2018, ---
    Fucking Nate!

First he threatens to have a title at 165.
    Then he injures Dustin Poirier before his fight so that he didn't have to pull out.
    Now he's done gone and convinced his buddy Rockhold to pull out of his fight.
    It's almost like Nate Diaz never ever wants to fight again.

[​IMG]

20. Qball1974

Qball1974 Tower of Song Site Donor

I hope they are working together to give a big fuck you back to the UFC.