1. It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who are willing to endure pain with patience. Discuss: "UFC 220: Miocic vs. Ngannou" Live Discussion *Spoilers*. Prelims begin at 7:00 p.m. ET on Fight Pass.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We've created a backup site in case the forum experiences any technical difficulties. Please bookmark the following addresses: www.reddit.com/r/MMASPOT/ and/or www.nm.reddit.com/r/MMASPOT/. All urgent announcements will be posted there in the event that the main site goes down. Thank you.
    Dismiss Notice

Noob's Log

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by Noob, Sep 3, 2008.

1. Noob

Noob www.myspace.com/mmaspot

Fuck it. I figured I'd start a log to get this party/subforum started.

I'm not really a fan of writing stuff down all the time, as it starts to feel more like homework and less like the enjoyable pursuit of something I like. But, whatever. Everything I've ever read says that keeping a journal is supposed to be good for you. Like vitamins.

My immediate goals are pretty simple:

• Show up, every day. Rain, shine, tidal wave, impending planetary destruction, whatever.
    • Have fun.
    • Slowly add to my BJJ game, learning and growing.
    • To never get a pot belly. Ever.
    • To suck less tomorrow than I did today.

Pretty broad goals. But I honestly find that since BJJ is a hobby for me, setting cemented goals isn't always constructive. I love grappling, but it really is like 3rd on my priority list in life, and I hate not meeting goals. So if I set them, I end up driving myself nuts making sure I accomplish it, even to the detriment of other things in my life. Even when it's not that important.

So, generic and uninteresting this log shall be. I'm counting on the fact that almost no one will ever read it, but hell, maybe one day it'll become a best-seller or something and I will be sort of like Anne Frank. Though more masculine, and slightly less Jewish.

2. Noob

I recently bought a Howard competition single. I like it pretty well, though I'm still wearing it in.

I've been working on my spider guard more lately, to the point that my training partners know it's coming and work diligently to avoid it. I've been ending up in a generic open guard a lot, and figured it was time to add something else to my game.

I watched, and took notes over, Felipe Costa's quarter guard instructional. I plan to start working on that tomorrow night, and slowly work my way into that position more often over the next couple of weeks, eventually merging it with my spider guard.

Felipe Costa looks like what a small baby would look like if you grew him up in a pod overnight. He has some facial stubble, but I can't really shake the suspicion that he's an infant. But giant.

Quarter guard, here I come...

3. Noob

I got my ass kicked today. And worked on absolutely no quarter guard.

Big guys suck.

4. Intellectual

Intellectual Breathe Life Into a Stone

5. Noob

My first roll of the day was with a guy that outweighs me by about 30-40 pounds, is a football coach and has been training about as long as I have. I managed to tap him, but it was brutal.

The rest of the day was roughly the same. All big guys. I feel like a sardine today.

6. Noob

I managed to suck a little less today. Worked some quarter guard against a big guy. I mostly just maintained position and stole back to full guard when I could.

It's hard to force myself into a position I'm not very good at, especially when I'm so much more comfortable and efficient in other positions.

One step at a time.

7. Steel

Steel Bi-product of the 80's

LOL Noob, how tall are you?

8. Noob

I'm about 5'8'', 165 lbs.

Not a big guy by any means. Almost everyone at my gym is larger than I am, so I get a lot of practice being undersized.

9. Noob

[​IMG]

A little motivation poster of sorts. Made by the head instructor of the gym I trained at while in Spain.

"For those that invent, for those that believe, for those that dream, for those that suffer, for those that lose, for those that win, for those that fight, for the white belts, for the black belts, for those from islands, for those from peninsulas, for those that have no barriers...

For all of you...Enjoy the smooth side of life!!!"

10. Noob

Another day, another dollar.

Wait, does that apply?

I didn't work much, if any quarter guard yet again today. I think I'm retarded or something. Or maybe I'm waiting for some amazing revelation that this position is supremely awesome and it's just not.

Meh. Tomorrow is another day. We shall see.

11. Intellectual

Intellectual Breathe Life Into a Stone

hah! sick poster.

good luck with tomorrow. keep us updated.

12. Noob

Day in, day out. Same old. Nothing really exciting.

Just for shits and giggles I've been adding some rolling guard and inverted guard stuff into my game. More for fun than anything else. It looks ridiculous, but it's good fun to land some inane omoplata in class.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ym1dWmyUHlY&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ym1dWmyUHlY&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

13. Noob

Today, I am hung over. But I go in anyway.

[​IMG]

14. Noob

Seminar today. Got in at 10am, home around 3:45. Tired.

15. strife

strife I

Which seminar? If it was Pedro Sauer's I was supposed to go but didn't have the money at the last minute. :(

16. Noob

Renato Tavares. He's a coach at ATT. I had to scrape the money together, but it was worth it.

17. mauladala

mauladala Machidala

Alright Noobles!!! :)

That poster looks partially like a modified Coca-Cola poster, btw. lol Still cool.

Man, you made some poor dude/lady suffer through rolling with your stinky, hungover ass? For shame. j/k been there.

Love the inverted guard. People are usually grabbing ur feet or ankles if u try it though. That are u try to invert and sometimes roll to quickly and overshoot the position with a little help from a good opponent. lol

18. Palma

Palma I am chaos

I thought "Noob's Log" was about Noob taking a shit.

19. Noob

Haven't updated in a while, so I thought I'd put something up. I've been helping open a new restaurant, haven't trained in over a week.

I feel fat.

[​IMG]

20. Poindexter

Poindexter Reputation: ∞ Staff Member

Get back on the horse, man--and by the looks of it, make it a Clydesdale.