Nate_Deezy's Weight Loss Blog

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by Neganomics, Jan 7, 2009.

1. Neganomics

Neganomics I know nothing.

Hey guys what's up? This is a crazy experiment that I have been toying with for some time now, but finally got around to doing. I have been wanting to lose weight for quite a while but have been unsuccessful, so I decided to start posting a daily blog as a way to vent my frustrations, talk about my accomplishments, and give an overall insight into the mind of a food addict as they attempt to make a lifestyle change for the benefit of their health and well-being. I'm going to be exposing a lot of deep personal feelings and braving some uncharted terrain far outside of my comfort zone in my attempt to lose weight, and I want to get as many readers as possible. The more I am reassured that I have a strong support circle around me, the more likely I will be able to succeed in this struggle. So yeah guys....I will be posting my daily entries here on the site, but if anyone wants to leave Myspace comments or read the blog in its original context, you can check out my Myspace page at:

www.myspace.com/natedeezy69

Thank you to everyone who reads and contributes to my spirit while I continue on my quest for health and self-discovery.

2. Neganomics

Weight Loss Blog - Day 1 (1-5-09)

Well everyone it's a new year and that means millions of people from every corner of the globe are making resolutions to correct or improve something in their lives that they feel have been slowing them down for far too long. Maybe it's that they wish to quit smoking, or get in touch with that one person from whom they have grown apart over time. Or if you're like me, you take certain events you see occurring around you as being signs of things to come. Health is something many of us take for granted until it's too late to make the changes necessary to go about living what we have come to know as a normal lifestyle. For me, this year, 2009, is finally the time for me to take control of my one true vice. I am an addict in every sense of the word and my drug of choice one that few would consider to be in the same category as traditional "drugs" or "vices" .... it is one that everyone abuses from time to time....I am a food addict.

I have been battling this addiction for some time now, and it has won every encounter up until now. Today, January 5th, 2009, is the day I begin my rehabilitation and take control of my eating habits. By June of this year, I hope to have lost a significant amount of weight. The decision was made not out of some superficial desire to appear a certain way, but rather for the self satisfaction of accomplishing that which I have set out to accomplish. I want to improve my health. Since I come from a family with a long history of heart disease and diabetes, I figure I can ill afford to continue down the path I'm on as a result of my eating habits. Because I love and am grateful for everyone around me, I refuse to put them through the emotional distress of someday soon having to be bedside with me in a hospital room after my heart decides it can't take any more of my life of indulgences.

I have been planning this blog for quite a while now but until tonight had not worked up the courage to go through with it. Any time a person exposes themself as being vulnerable or self-conscious in any way, they run the risk of changing others' views of them permanently. More than anything, just to admit that you have a problem takes an immeasurable amount of courage in and of itself. So here I am. On this day, I am 5'9" tall and 245 pounds. My target weight for when this is all said and done will be 180 pounds. I will be updating this blog daily to talk about the achievements and frustrations of attempting to take control of a vice, and I will be posting my new weight every Monday for the world to see. If you consider yourself a friend, a good acquaintance, or even someone who has seen or met me once before, I beg you....help me achieve this. If you read this, leave me an encouraging message. If you all let me know that you are behind me on this, I cannot afford to let you down. The more people who read this, the better my chances will be to make a change. Thank you all and God bless.

Nate

3. Neganomics

Weight Loss Blog - Day 2 (1-6-09)

Hey guys. It's Tuesday night and man am I glad today is over with. This is only my second day on my diet, but it was much more difficult than yesterday was. Where do I begin?

My day started off at about 12:30 this afternoon upon waking up after a long night of playing Mario Kart Wii. I got out of bed and made a horrible mistake right off the bat. I weighed myself. Needless to say, I had not lost any weight after only one day of dieting and for a moment I became discouraged. If I may offer a word of advice to any future dieters...do not weigh yourself on a daily basis. Weekly weigh-ins are much more rewarding for a couple of reasons. First of all, you do not lose enough weight daily to maintain your optimism and enthusiasm toward your diet. Secondly, your weight fluctuates day to day for various reasons and some days you may weigh in heavier than you were the day prior. Weekly weigh ins allow you to see your progress in your weight loss much more accurately and it enables you to remain more positive as a result.

For anyone unfamiliar with the diet plan I will be using during this experiment, I will be using the weight watchers diet. I have already used this plan once before and it allowed me to lose 60 pounds in right around four months. Weight watchers is a bit complicated, but the short explanation is that it runs on points. Points are calculated by a formula which includes the dietary fiber, calories, and fat grams of any given food. Depending on your age and weight, you are given a specified daily points range. Because of my weight, I am allowed between 26 and 31 points per day. This means I need to take in at least 26 points every day otherwise my body will think I am starving it and slow down my metabolism. Adversely, if I eat more than my allotted points value, I will simply be overfeeding my body and my metabolism will not be able to keep up with my intake.

Anyway, after my disappointing bout with the scale, I went upstairs and had a bowl of Captain Crunch for 7 points. After that, I headed downstairs to get ready for work. Before leaving for work, I grabbed a 100 calorie pack of Sun Chips simply because after working in fast food for close to four years, I have learned that the worst thing you can do when trying to diet is go to work hungry. 2 more points, but I was still hungry. I got to work at 2:00 and from that time until 5:30 when I went on break, I was miserable. Because I have grown so accustomed to casual grazing on fried goods such as fries, chicken strips, and the occasional onion ring, I grew very weak in their absence. This caused me to sweat and even become light headed. Had it not been for the large amount of Diet Coke I drank in that span for its incredible caffeine supply, I'm not sure I would have been able to avoid eating the fries and chicken strips I have come to adore. So thank you Diet Coke. I was a Pepsi man until this afternoon.

By the time I went on break at 5:30, I needed one. I had a half a bowl of broccoli soup for four points and an Iron Grilled Turkey Sandwich for nine, but I was still short of my daily minimum of 26. I decided to have a small Arctic Rush which served as four more necessary points as well as acting as sustenance for my sugar craving. After getting home from work around 9:15, I ate some grapes to satisfy my fifth and final food group for the day. After that, I had some popcorn because it is surprisingly low in points on the weight watchers diet. Three cups of popcorn for one point....you can't really beat that. I finished the day with 29 points. Perfectly within my range, and one more day in the history books.

Perhaps the most difficult part of accomplishing anything you have set out to do is to think of your progression as a series of parts rather than one ultimate whole. I know that I will not weigh in at my target weight tomorrow, although I have to admit that would be ideal. In order to make it through this challenge, I must not think of my goals in terms of weeks or months, otherwise I may become a bit overwhelmed. Rather, I need to keep thinking of this as a day to day process in order to be successful and remain resolute in my journey. That's where this blog comes in. Still, simply writing these passages is nothing without the idea that someone out there is reading them, and that is quite possibly the most encouraging aspect of this entire experiment. If this blog series can inspire anyone to make a change in their lives for personal gains rather than superficial reasoning, then this will be well worth the time and effort. Thank all of you again for helping me in my struggle, and I sincerely hope that someday I can return the favor.

Nate

4. Neganomics

Weight Loss Blog - Day 3

Well everyone...it's another day and that means it's time for another update.

You know that mistake I told you I made yesterday where I weighed myself and shouldn't have? Well I did today and much to my delight, I found out I have already lost three pounds. I weighed in this morning at 242 and it felt great. It is incredibly depressing that I looked at the scale, saw "242" and became excited, but at this point I'll take it. A loss is a loss and now that I have the ball rolling, it should be a breeze from here on out. But then again, that's what I always begin to believe.

Aside from that, today was more or less uneventful on the diet. As I do almost every day, I had a bowl of Captain Crunch for breakfast, which you just can't beat. I worked from 11:00-2:00 today, and on break I had a half a bowl of chicken and dumpling soup, a chicken wrap with barbecue sauce instead of ranch, a cup of applesauce and a G2 to drink. After I got home, I took a short nap before heading uptown to teach my Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu class. I wasn't exactly looking forward to the class tonight, but I ended up having a blast once I got there and even stayed an extra hour to train with the guys and watch some sparring. Once I got home, I had one full egg with two additional egg whites, some hash browns and toast, and since my exercising earned me two extra points for the night, I get to have a bit of a treat in that I can finally have a can of my favorite drink, Cherry Pepsi. I hope to eventually kick soda out of my diet altogether, but for now I will limit myself to one can per day or none at all. Later on I will probably have some white grapes to finish out the day with a solid 31 out of 33 points.

It is incredible just how broad a range of emotions you can cover in a matter of days. On Monday, I started out ambitiously and made it through the day easily with a great sense of pride in my accomplishment. Yesterday was grueling and really tested my resolve. But today....well today seemed like just another day. My diet was the farthest thing from my mind in most instances, but that was perhaps due in part to the outside activites I engaged in keeping my mind off of the struggle of changing my eating habits. I think I have finally found a way to eat enough to satisfy my hunger and make it seem as if I am eating a great deal more than I actually am by consuming healthier foods in controlled portions. Rather than one or two large sandwiches for lunch, I have instead shifted to one main item and a couple of good supplemental side dishes. More than anything, I think that focusing on the health issues that poor eating habits can lead to rather than thinking about physical appearance as my main concern has helped me realize that this task is an entirely necessary lifestyle change for me, making the diet much easier mentally.

Nate

5. Noob

Noob www.myspace.com/mmaspot

Best of luck buddy. :)

6. Neganomics

Weight Loss Blog - Day 4 (1-8-09)

Hey everyone. Sorry I didn't get a chance to post this blog last night. I didn't want to miss a day though so I just decided I would do it this morning.

Yesterday was a bit of an easier day as well in terms of dieting. Because I had only had 14 points worth of food by dinner time, I was able to eat a little more than usual on break. I had two crispy chicken wraps and a cup of applesauce for 13 points on top of my 14 previous, leaving me with 27 points altogether. When I got home at 7:00, I had nothing else to eat or drink until about 10:00 when I had a can of Duff energy drink, which I would not reccomend to anyone. Duff is good for novelty purposes if you are a Simpsons fan, but I have to say for my first time having it, I was underwhelmed to say the least.

The only difficult part about yesterday was surpressing my cravings. I'm sure it doesn't help that I work at a Dairy Queen and constantly have to smell delicious fried foods cooking and witness multiple different ice cream treats being served all day, but cravings haven't even been an issue until yesterday. It took everything I had not to have a cup of soda, a chicken strip, some fries, and/or a shake of some sort, but I am glad I was able to resist my urges and stay focused on my diet. I also owe a bit of credit to the people I work with, as they are aware of my attempt to diet and have been doing a great job of supporting me in my diet and keeping me away from foods as well. Thanks again everyone.

Nate

7. Neganomics

Weight Loss Blog - Day 5 (1-9-09)

Well everyone it's that time again. I'm sure at least some of you are anxious to hear the latest on my dietary saga. But then again....maybe not. Who knows? But here we go.

Today was another pretty easy day...which I know...they aren't the fun ones to read about, but bear with me. An old friend came to town last night and we played some music for a while, and then followed it with SIX HOURS of Mario Kart. I guess time just escaped us as we were driving our favorite characters around Mushroom Gorge and Rainbow Road among other ridiculous tracks. Anyway, since I didn't even get to bed until about 4:30 in the morning, I stayed asleep until right around noon or so. As always, I started my day with some Captain Crunch. I really should start eating a different cereal. Maybe I'll start a poll and you can all vote for my new cereal to eat in the morning. Or maybe I'm just fooling myself into thinking you care that much about my morning routine.

Anyway, after showering I had a quick lunch before leaving for work. I had two grilled cheese sandwiches with diet butter and cheese made from 2% milk, reduced fat Ruffles, and grapes with Crystal Light fruit punch. At work on break, I had a barbecue sandwich and a half a bowl of chicken noodle soup with a small blue raspberry Arctic Rush, finishing out my day with 29 total points.

I think something I don't emphasize at all when typing these blogs is just how difficult it is to make healthy choices at work. I have mentioned on a couple of occasions how difficult it is to resist snacking between meals, but even when it comes to chosing what to eat on break, it is extremely tough. Sure I had a barbecue sandwich but what I really wanted was chili cheese dogs, Bacon Cheddar Grillburgers, or crispy chicken sandwiches. It's tough to see these favorites of mine being removed from my diet, but a crispy chicken sandwich...at 21 points per sandwich...just doesn't fit into a 31 point diet unless that's one of the only things I eat all day. Making the right dietary choices is tough, but when the flavor fades away, the pride of accomplishing something towards a personal goal stays intact. The same cannot be said of milkshakes or any other food item that has been nixed from my routine, as once they are gone and the momentary fullfillment follows in turn, I feel nothing but shame and regret at the lack of self control I displayed by simply engorging myself with their rich, indulgent flavors. What I am saying is that while I believe looking at the present is the best way to diet, sometimes looking past the moments in which you are actually eating and focusing on why you are making the choices you are making is the best way to avoid missing some of your favorite dishes.

Nate

8. Poindexter

Poindexter Reputation: ∞ Staff Member

Keep up the good work, man. I know how much of a battle it is.

9. Neganomics

Weigh-in - Week 1

Well guys....as I mentioned last night, today is my first official weigh-in since beginning my diet. I just got off the scale, and much to my surprise, I have already lost seven pounds since I started. When I started my diet, I weighed 245, and today I weighed in at 238.

I realize the first week or two is when you lose weight the quickest, but I never expected to have lost seven pounds in really just six days, since tomorrow will mark one week on my diet. It's probably just because I had so much weight to lose in the first place, but in any case I'll take it. Check back next Monday for my updated weight, and keep reading the daily entries.

Nate

10. Steve

Steve D'arce Vader

keep up the good work! repped.

11. Poindexter

Poindexter Reputation: ∞ Staff Member

Good to hear.

12. Neganomics

Weight Loss Blog - Day 7 (1-11-09)

Hey everyone. This will be an interesting one.

As I mentioned in one of my previous blogs, I had the chance to go to Bloomington tonight with Ashleigh. We wanted to have one more night out before this semester begins and brings with it the stress and stringent schedule that can be quite a test to any relationship at times. We have grown much stronger together this winter break however, and I feel that next semester will be more of a minor inconvenience than anything else.

Anyway, we went to Biaggi's tonight. I was aware of this, so I saved as many points as I could. I had only a bowl of cereal prior to my meal at Biaggi's, and it is definitely a good thing I didn't eat any more than that. I learned of this new, fun little rule that has been added to weight watchers since I did it the first time where I am allowed to have 35 extra points per week if I so choose to use them. These points act as a safety net of sorts that allow you to go over your points range from time to time so that you can ease out of your cravings and not go on some sort of eating binge. They can be used at any point during the week, although if you use them you must be aware you will simply lose weight at a slower pace than you would normally. Fortunately enough, I have already lost seven pounds, which is more than I expected to lose in my first week anyway, so I felt I could comfortably cash in some of these bonus points.

So tonight, I got to treat myself a bit. I had a bowl of chicken florentine soup which, along with Zoupa Toscana from Olive Garden, is without question my favorite soup. I had some of their bread as well, because as anyone who has been to Biaggi's knows, it is irresistable in every sense of the word. I had amassed 10 points by this point, and had three pieces of fried ravioli which I figured to be 2 points a piece, giving me a total of 18. For my entree, I had my usual pork chops al forno, which are the best pork chops I have ever eaten in my life, and some garlic mashed potatoes. By the time you cut around all of the fat on the chops, I figure them to be no more than 4 points a piece, and the potatoes are served in a small amount I figure to be about 4 points as well. Then I split a lemon tower cake with Ashleigh for about 3 points, which I think is a fair estimate since it is a relatively small dessert in any case, and I only ate half of it. With 40 points in all, I was over my daily limit, but after cashing in some of my "emergency points", I remained on my diet, only having used 9 of my 35 available.

Sorry for posting this so late again, but it's hard to find spare time sometimes with all of the rest of this "life" thing going on around you. It's strange how anticipation seems like such an extensive process, yet the moments you have spent so much time waiting for tend to seem so fleeting at times. That is the way I feel about dieting sometimes. I anticipate my target weight so fervently, it feels like I will never arrive at my destination. That's how it was when I lost 60 pounds once before. It felt like it took me so long to lose the weight, but then in what seemed like mere moments, my thin body frame along with all of my self esteem were gone without a trace. Yet here I am again, writing this blog, anticipating the day I will finally be able to regain my confidence in my personal appearance as well as the satisfaction of living a healthy lifestyle.

Nate

13. Neganomics

Weight Loss Blog - Day 8 (1-12-09)

Remember how you felt as a child on Christmas Eve, laying in your bed anticipating the great things that await you come morning time? That's how I feel tonight. Tomorrow, I will be going to Driscoll Motors to buy my 2008 Pontiac Torrent and I have to say the anticipation is killing me. For those of you who read my blog last night, you know how I feel about anticipation.

Anyway...the diet. Today I stayed within my points range again. I had a bowl of cereal for breakfast, a hot dog and a Diet Coke for a quick lunch, and two chicken wraps with a side salad with fat free french dressing and a small lemon lime Arctic Rush for supper. I had a G2 once I got home, and finished the day with 30 points.

Tomorrow, since I will be getting up early to go get my car, I will be awake for a very rare treat....McDonald's breakfast! Since I am the kind of guy who ordinarily sleeps into the afternoon, the chance to enjoy a Sausage McMuffin or two is a rare gem in my life. I will be having two of them tomorrow morning, at 7 points a piece...which means I will have to manage my diet a bit more carefully later in the day, but I would say it is worth it for those delicious breakfast sandwiches. See you all tomorrow night.

Nate

14. Neganomics

Weight Loss Blog - Day 9 (1-13-09)

Hi again everyone. I think the fact that I am even posting this blog tonight is indicative of my commitment to this project. I am extremely tired. It's been a really long day for me. First of all, I went to talk to the car dealer about getting my new vehicle and got a final price figured out, then I went to the bank and got approved for my loan and that was all going fine. Then, I told my banker that I couldn't wait to go pick up my car today, and she said that the soonest she could have my loan ready was by tomorrow. So now I have to wait until the morning to pick it up, and as a result I decided to stay home from class today since I don't really trust my current car to get me to Bloomington and back under normal conditions, let alone in the snow.

So anyway, as planned I had two Sausage McMuffins this morning with a bottle of water for 14 points. When you begin the day with that many points, the rest of the day requires some very careful points management. So for lunch, I had two grilled cheese sandwiches with diet butter and 2% cheese with a bottle of G2 for 7 points, and for dinner I had a lean cheeseburger again with 2% cheese, hash browns and a glass of Crystal Light fruit punch. On the day, I finished with 29 out of 31 points allowed.

Today didn't really feel like a diet to me, since the food items I ate are not exactly the first things that come to mind when you mention the word diet. It's easy to forget that the minor adjustments make all the difference though. Simply switching to 2% cheese, or using "I Can't Believe It's Not Butter" spray instead of ordinary butter can have a huge impact on whether or not you are successful in losing weight. In actuality, I stayed perfectly on my diet and was able to enjoy some of my favorite foods in the process. The most important part is to keep myself convinced of that idea, because the mind is a very important factor in dieting. I will get into that at a later time though. I am far too tired tonight to go into that lengthy description. Besides, the suspense will give you a reason to check back again soon.

Nate

15. Neganomics

Weight Loss Blog - Day 10 (1-14-09)

Sorry I didn't get a chance to post this last night guys. I was out driving my new car around and I have to say I'm in love.

For breakfast yesterday, I went back to the cereal. You can't have Sausage McMuffins every morning, although I wish I could. For lunch I had a half a bowl of chicken and dumpling soup, a cup of applesauce, a barbecue sandwich and a G2. Then for dinner I had two chicken tacos with Crystal Light fruit punch, and for a dessert I had two pieces of this awesome root beer cake that is a Weight Watchers recipe for one point a piece. I finished the day with exactly 31 points.

Well that's all for now. Check back later for today's blog.

Nate

16. Neganomics

Weight Loss Blog - Day 11 (1-15-09)

Hey everyone. I figured I'd post a blog on time tonight for a change.

Today was just about like every other day so far on the diet, except I got to have an awesome....and i mean awesome supper. Because up until dinner time I had only had a bowl of Captain Crunch, I had 24 points at my disposal. I used 17 of those on tortellini with cheese bread sticks. It felt so good to get to eat an old favorite and stay within my points range at the same time. After dinner I had two pieces of the same root beer cake I had last night for 1 point a piece, leaving me with 26 total which means I get to have another of my delicious alcoholic concoctions. This time it's UV Cherry Vodka and Pepsi. Cherry Cola with a nice kick to it.

I am a strong advocate of weekly weigh-ins, as I have mentioned on a couple of previous occasions, but again today curiosity got the better of me and I stepped on to the scale not knowing what to expect. In another surprising turn of events, I weighed in at 233 which means that in a week and a half I have lost 12 pounds! I could not believe it at first, but then I began to think about all the time I spent eating at work prior to this diet. If I was not taking an order or talking to my coworkers, I was in the back eating fries, chicken strips, or ice cream. It's incredible how much of an impact simply not eating between meals can have on your diet. Even though the items you tend to eat between meals appear small at times, they make a huge difference on whether or not you gain or lose weight.

Nate

17. groundgame

groundgame New Member

I had a question are you doing any working out at all? Where can I find this diet? I have been on a 4-5 month fast food binge and my weight is off the charts. I want to lose about 25-35 lbs and get back in shape.

18. thebwit

thebwit Guest

The diet is just weight watchers. All food has a point value assigned to it, and you have a set # of points per day. So long as you stick to it, you can lose weight.

My question is, do you feel hungry through out the day Nate? What do you do to stop cravings and snacking?

19. groundgame

groundgame New Member

I have been working out, but I have also been eating 3000 to 5000 calories a day. I have gained the most weight ever in my life. I am 6'4 (technically a hair off) and 247 as of yesterday. I want to get back at least in the 215 to 220range in the next 3 months. I am having a huge family reunion and don't want to be fat. Also I go to the lake all summer long and don't want to be embarassed to take off my shirt.

I plan on cutting the fast food out, which is hard my office is next to Burger King, plus I drink like 2 2 liters of Mt Dew a day. I just want something to monitor my food intake. My friend is a huge gym rat, but he is so much bigger and stronger than I am that I can't workout with him unless it's cardio.Plus he lives on a diet that I can't stomach, the things he eats would make me sick.

I bought a Weider Crossbow for the office and I have a huge gym set up at home, so when I have time to workout I do. So any help Nate or thebwit would be appreciated.

20. Steve

Steve D'arce Vader

aim us <:)