1. Nothing any good isn’t hard. Discuss: "UFC Fight Night 121: Werdum vs. Tybura" Live Discussion *Spoilers*. Prelims begin at 6:30 p.m. ET on Fight Pass.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Luck, bad if not good, will always be with us. The books are open. Get your bets in now for UFC Fight Night 121: Werdum vs. Tybura.
Dismiss Notice
Pick a peck of pickled pick 'ems: UFC Fight Night: Werdum vs. Tybura

Motivation and Inspiration

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Sniggles, May 12, 2015.

1. Sniggles

Sniggles ex nihilo

DanC started a thread back at News which had some good stuff in it. I'm going to toss some of my old posts on here. Perhaps they will be welcome.

You need to look at things from a different perspective when you get stuck in a cyclical negative feedback loop in life. I find immersing myself in material that allows me to focus not on my shortcomings but the infinite potential that life can offer to you when you are on the right frequency.

Godspeed and party on!

---

---

---

--- Post Added -- May 12, 2015, ---
    Out of the Darkness - By Steve Taylor

There are so many ways to feel dissatisfied
    so many different needs to meet
    so many goals to keep striving for
    so many problems to try to fix
    so much of the past you wish you could change
    so many fears from the future.

No wonder you feel overwhelmed
    like a traveller carrying too many bags
    with too many paths to choose from
    who has to keep stopping to rest
    until he can’t go on, and collapses.
    How could you ever be happy?
    Life’s too demanding and complicated.

But then – an electric shock, an illness or accident
    death creeps behind and swipes you hard across your back
    awakening you from your torpor
    and suddenly the fog dissolves away
    And you can see the narrow ledge you’re walking
    - the one you’ve always been walking – between life and death.
    And now it’s all so simple and makes perfect sense -
    life is temporary and fragile, precious beyond value
    and life contains nothing except this present moment
    this brilliant beautiful river of experience.

And suddenly those needs stop niggling you
    the guilt and fear stop gnawing
    the phantoms of the past can’t scare you anymore
    there’s nothing to worry about or to be afraid of
    Everything obliterated
    but the glory of this moment
    the grandeur of the world itself

And you know that this is all there is
    that this is where fulfilment lies
    and everything else is only a shadowplay of the mind.

https://youtu.be/a5SMyfbWYyE

https://youtu.be/D1R-jKKp3NA

---

Imagine you’re climbing a mountain path that will lead you to a paradise where all your needs are met and your questions answered.

What do you find when you reach the top?

A mirror.

---

That's enough for now. :)

Last edited: May 12, 2015
  2. SandyWH

SandyWH CHAOS KREATOR

[​IMG]
    I watch that Jimmy V speech weekly and have it on my MP3 player

Poindexter likes this.
  3. Sniggles

Sniggles ex nihilo

4. sourdough

sourdough Sourdough Site Donor Asst. Bookie

5. Tapout

Tapout Bringing Sexy Back Site Donor

My Personal Favorite

Sniggles likes this.
  6. jokerthief

jokerthief No reason to get excited. Site Donor

Fuck motivation. Discipline is where it's at. If you have discipline, you don't need motivation. Discipline is a habit. All it takes is time and consistency to establish habits. Motivation is fickle and will always be fickle. Being able to act without motivation is the real prize everyone should work for. Create habits out of the things you want to do.

ILJO likes this.
  7. Sniggles

Sniggles ex nihilo

And what do you need when something happens to throw you out of your habits to make you inconsistent? People aren't robots. Even Lebron needs motivation. Every fighter has a coach.
    --- Post Added -- Jun 21, 2015, ---

8. jokerthief

jokerthief No reason to get excited. Site Donor

If you have truly established a habit, you won't be thrown off for long. But if something does happen in your life that breaks a habit, you simply rebuild the habit. If you need motivation to get shit done, you'll never get shit done consistently. Lebron stays on the court practicing well past the point where motivation is gone. He gets up and goes to the court when he feels like shit and has zero motivation. All professional athletes have to have that ability.

Now I'm not saying that you don't need a certain level of intrinsic motivation, I'm just saying that you need to be able to accomplish what you want to accomplish without feeling intensely motivated. It's impossible to feel intense motivation on a consistent basis. Discipline exists to get you through the unmotivated days.
    --- Post Added -- Jun 21, 2015, ---
    Now with that all said, there is nothing wrong with looking for motivation—it can't hurt—as long as you work on building discipline too. If you're working on building your discipline, by all means, search for all the motivation you can find. It will help, but it won't do the full job for you. Don't forget discipline.

9. ILJO

ILJO Mississippi Girl Site Donor

Don't listen to jokerthief. If you need some motivation, just remember how much cooler ILJO is than you, and think about stepping up your game so that you might get treated as a peer.

MIZjitzZOU likes this.
  10. Ninjastix

Ninjastix Damn Gina Site Donor

11. TriangleSmoke

TriangleSmoke Motherfucker of the Century Site Donor

12. Sniggles

Sniggles ex nihilo

Last edited: Jul 23, 2015
    jokerthief likes this.
  13. Pashak

Pashak Well-Known Member

I think it is very important to have goals and to know why you are doing something.
    Discipline is obviously extremely important, but IMO motivation is important too.

Let's say that you have to wake up at 6 am and go to the Gym.

You can be very disciplined and do it because you know that you have to do it. However it will be really hard if you do not have the desire, if you go just because you know it is the correct thing to do.

However if you have a concrete goal and and you really have the desire to achieve it, then it will be less hard to wake up and go to the Gym. And you will probably even enjoy it more.

In both cases you woke up and you went to the Gym. However how you felt is different.

MIZjitzZOU and Poindexter like this.
  14. unforgivn

unforgivn Nunquam Fidelis

I find that what motivates me the most is confidence that I can succeed at whatever it is I'm looking to do, and that confidence usually comes from educating myself on how to do what I need to do. Once I have the know-how, I find that I don't have to do anything to try to motivate myself into action because by that point I'm already acting.

#1taz and ILJO like this.
  15. ILJO

ILJO Mississippi Girl Site Donor

Personally I don't think there's anything wrong with focusing on our shortcomings. That's actually where I get most of my motivation.

I'm inspired by those who are better than me, and I'm motivated knowing that they are people just like me. I truly believe that just about any of us could have been as successful as almost anyone else, given the right circumstances. To me that means if I plan appropriately and focus my efforts, I can achieve. We can all achieve (mostly).

But the big thing is that I'm never satisfied (with the things I choose to focus on - other things I completely ignore and don't let bother me. Imo a major, overlooked, part of success is recognizing what not to waste energy on. Potential amounts to very little when time is wasted).

So I set the bar high and I have higher standards/expectations for myself than most. That means I'm always coming short, which admittedly isn't the best short term guide to happiness, but the discontent is what fuels me. It's a very powerful feeling - it can motivate or it can dishearten, depending on the mentality you approach it with: I always accept accountability, which means I don't allow any excuses for myself, which means I have to problem-solve and figure out what I did wrong/what I could do different so that I can feel better about it.

I've preached this a thousand times, but those who allow themselves to develop a victim's mentality always get the short end of the stick. It's nothing more than a shortcut to alleviating the unpleasantness by way of excuse making. It's way easier, which apparently makes it appealing, but it doesn't facilitate the recognition/search for mistakes, which are the best lessons we have IMO.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2015
    #1taz likes this.
  16. Sniggles

Sniggles ex nihilo

Last edited: Sep 28, 2015
  17. Ninjastix

Ninjastix Damn Gina Site Donor

Not wanting to be like most people I encounter motivates me every day. And if I can change... Anybody can change.

Except for the disabled, they're kinda fucked until we master genotherapy and nanobiotech.

18. Pashak

Pashak Well-Known Member

The disabled are often more courageous and with more will power and determination than non disabled people.

19. ATJ-Lucko

ATJ-Lucko MMAtheist

20. #1taz

#1taz You sure you want me to give a fuck? Site Donor

I have met a lot of people in my life that have been stopped dead in their tracks from achieving something by fear of risking a possibility of failing. I always try to get them to understand that everyone gets afraid. But if you learn to calm yourself, understand and control your fear, then turn it into a force within you, and then direct that force's energy towards conquering whatever it is that you are afraid of, you will always stand a much better chance at succeeding. In life, it is a very dangerous thing to get too dependent on others to motivate you. There will always be a time when they will not be there when you need them for that - so you absolutely have to be able to motivate and rely on yourself. And to never let fear control and dominate you.

I often do a worst case scenario assessment when I am faced with a tough decision. Simply put - I ask myself what is the worst damn thing that could ever possibly happen. Then figure out what the hell I would do then to deal with that. If I am positive that I can successfully handle that - then my fear involving the situation is over. And then I move on and do what is needed to be done.

For example: I remember when my step son was very young and he was afraid of the dark, and he often slept with his lights on in his room. I went into his room one evening and told him to stand up and close his eyes. Then I asked him to tell me what he could see. He answered "Nothing." I then asked him if that was anything to be afraid of. His answer was"No dad...that's dumb..why would anyone be afraid of nothing?" I then told him to open his eyes, and then I turned out the light making his room completely dark. I asked him again what he could see. His answer was again "Nothing" Then I asked him " It's pretty dumb to be scared of nothing, huh?" All he said was "Yep..I guess so." And he was never afraid of the dark again.

That's all fear is. A big nothing that you don't understand. Calm down, and use logic and reason to figure it all out. And keep doing that until it becomes a habit. And remember: To choose to not decide is still a decision - just not ever the right one - because the problem is not going to disappear and you will never gain anything from it. Even if you should somehow fail - you and everyone else involved can learn from your failures and then use that knowledge to succeed.