MMASpot Book Club

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by AnchorPunch, Nov 28, 2018.

1. PicogramPenis

PicogramPenis The Disposable Assassin Site Donor

How are you liking it so far? I'm about to jump back in shortly.

2. thumper

thumper Picogrammy Staff Member

Jesus that's a lot of stuff. I was really into steven king for a while. read a bunch of his short stories, and Pet Semetary as well which was a fav. But i started to feel like I was getting tired of him. it just feels like he takes way too much time to tell his story. At least that's the way it felt to me. I hate saying that because I know everyone loves him, and I like his stories too, but it just seems like it takes too long to get through a lot of unnecessary 'stuff'.

I would consider picking his stuff up again though. it's nice to at least be a little familiar with the author.

Fedorlei Gomipierre likes this.
  3. Fedorlei Gomipierre

Fedorlei Gomipierre The IQ Poster Site Donor

What do I have to do to join?
    --- Post Added -- Dec 5, 2018, ---
    Yeah, I don't think anybody would have too much issue with you saying SK's stuff can feel a bit too long to get off the ground, I've found that around the time he was hit by the van, his work started to get a lot more voluminous in size and more expressly, quite patterned in how he lays out the first half of his books and IMO, his work definitely "plays the hits" a lot when it comes to familiar character tropes and settings/themes.

The best King novel since 2000 or so is 11/22/63 and it's not even close imo and even that one is a goddamn doorstop in size and for me, it is his best-paced and developed story in some time. I'd also put in a word for Duma Key since I enjoyed it and found it a quick read. From a Buick 8 isn't mentioned often, but it's got a lot of heart and has a lot of cool concepts. I also think the last scene King wrote that was truly "scary" was some of the visions in Revival, but that wasn't one of his best efforts overall since he writes along the protagonist's entire lifetime and it feels too broad.

4. Dimson

Dimson Your tears don't fall...

You have to know the secret handshake in order to join.

5. Miz

Miz mortality, ka, and the Tower

I really enjoyed the first chapter. It takes me 40-50 pages to become “consumed.” Not sure why, but it feels like that is usually the case for me.

disposableassassin likes this.
  6. PicogramPenis

I'm the same way. I think it's once I hit that point that I know I'm going to finish.

@Fedorlei Gomipierre read Geek Love!

Miz likes this.
  7. PillowBiter

PillowBiter Well-Known Member Site Donor

Two steps. The first is easy: Get a copy of Geek Love for this round.

But step two is where you get jumped in, homie: cornbread and ketchup.

Poindexter and Miz like this.
  8. Miz

I’m on chapter 3. Really funny stuff. If AP is going to start reading Friday, what do you say we can start discussing the first three chapters by Sunday? There is no feeling out process with this book. Goes hard from the get go.

9. PicogramPenis

Sounds good to me.

Miz likes this.
  10. Miz

@disposableassassin @AnchorPunch
    I’m done with chapters 1-3 and ready for book 2 to begin. You guys there yet? This might be the first novel I’ve read by a female writer. I am enjoying it.

11. PillowBiter

I'm an asshole, need to start tonight. I'll be there by Tuesday night; and I'll avoid this forum if you two want to start talking about Book 1.
    --- Post Added -- Dec 10, 2018, ---
    If you want a really amazing book written by a woman and filled with knowledge that you can read 15 pages at a time without missing anything: Dr Tatiana's Sex Advice to All Creation. She's a brilliant biologist who wrote a series of silly "Dear Abby" style columns where animals write in and ask for sex advice that ties to their species specific (and usually odd) breeding habits. Really, really good. And a fun way to learn more about evolution.

Miz likes this.
  12. PicogramPenis

@Miz I'm a little behind. I had an 'incident' which has left me with some headaches. They are getting better. I'm going to pick it back up today. I'll be ready by tonight or in the morning.

Miz likes this.
  13. Miz

No hurries. I’m listening to an audio book as well, so you guys take as long as you need. Just tell me when you’re through with the first few chapters. It’s kind of neat listening to an audio book and reading another book at the same time. They are completely different so it’s easy to differentiate (not the word I was searching for) between the two.

disposableassassin likes this.
  14. Miz

@disposableassassin @AnchorPunch

You guys reading it? No judgement here as I have no job and time to spare (I’m trying to get a part time job at the library). I’m to chapter 6. It’s really good so far. I just got done with a chapter that I thought was really leading to a different outcome.

15. PillowBiter

@Miz I've been at work until 10pm every night this week and then just getting high. This weekend I'm stoked for it though! Both the book and the discussion.

Miz likes this.
  16. Miz

I feel like the girl you flirted with and spoiled for a month, only to have sex with her a week ago, now you don’t care enough to visit, bring flowers to, and cuddle. I’m dancing alone in my room tonight. Don’t be surprised if I dance with someone else this weekend.

AnchorPunch and Dimson like this.
  17. PillowBiter

Oh come on baby, we'll read something special this weekend. Promise.

Miz likes this.
  18. MBC

MBC Well-Known Member

Wahhhhh I’m so fucking cultured.

Dimson, Miz and Poindexter like this.
  19. Miz

Where the fuck have you been?

Poindexter likes this.
  20. MBC

MBC Well-Known Member

Ohhh wouldn’t you like to know, you sick fuck.

Miz likes this.