MMA In the Olympics: "Who is dumb enough to think this is possible?"

Discussion in 'General MMA Forum' started by Noob, Aug 26, 2008.

1. Noob

Noob www.myspace.com/mmaspot

Source

Them's fightin' words.

2. Poindexter

Poindexter Reputation: ∞ Staff Member Survival Pool Champion

No reason it shouldn't. With protective gear and a point system it could broaden the international appeal exponentially, IMO.

3. mauladala

mauladala Machidala

Why is it assumed professionals would be the ones competing in the Olympics? If it were in the games it would be amateurs and they would have either less rounds or three 3 minute rounds. That's a pretty absurdly aggressive stance by the author of that quote without really thinking the whole thing through.

BUT, I would love to see BJJ in the games- which does seem more plausible in the short term.

Edit: Yes, as Poindexter said, headgear or heavier gloves could be used as well.

4. Poindexter

True, there is no reason that BJJ, or JJ, shouldn't already be in the Olympics.

5. valheruking

valheruking Brought the vodka

Yeah I would have thought BJJ was pretty well suited to Olympic scoring, if a little complicated for your average Joe to follow.

6. Noob

Noob www.myspace.com/mmaspot

7. mauladala

mauladala Machidala

Before I read the article, I will say can you IMAGINE the scoring discrepancies and controversies BJJ scoring could cause in the Olympics???? I shutter to think.

8. Poindexter

Damn, well after reading that I can see the arguments they've created against including it. But, I think it would be a great addition and historically it can be considered, at least in part, as one of the earliest competitions that were included in the original games. It just needs the right PR, IMO, and given the rising popularity of MMA there may be some hope...

9. mauladala

mauladala Machidala

Meh, pretty false. Japan (where judo is dwidling and BJJ/JJ is gaining inpopularity), Russia (though Sambo is definitely the national combat sport), and Canada are all beginning to thrive in BJJ, aren't they?

So true.

Maybe the rest of the world is not on the competitive level just yet, but then I ask you how basketball maintained a place in the Olympics when the US was dominating for years? How does table tennis maintain Olympic status when China ALWAYS wins? etc. etc.

Yeah, that is BS There should be a policy in place.

LOL. I KNEW this had to be in there. So true.

Sigh. Can't disagree with this either.

This is easily remedied- and it looks like it will be. I can't think this is a good reason. There isn't ONE single governing body for basketball is there? The U.S. doesn't comply with International rules save when it plays Iinternational teams, and vice versa. There is for soccer, but there are so many subdivisions of national governing bodies, and many of them disagree on what rules should be in place (though FIFA has gotten stronger in the N. and S. American regions).

This is the worst reason of all considering this was (and still is in some cases) a fact for MANY of the Olympic sports. I actually see many women training (BJJ at least) for local comps. all the time. The Olympics aren't SUPPOSED to be "elite". They're supposed to be amateur athletes representing their country. If they were only supposed to be elite, then those countries that have ONE representative (who barely qualified in whatever discipline) sent to the Games, wouldn't be allowed to compete.

Yeah but... BJJ is better. lol j/k to the wrestling lovers. sorta

This is mere opinion, and a bad one I might add.

Really?? Cuz the flailing Judo has the power/or really would want to stop BJJ from being in the Games? Judo is in serious trouble as far as numbers of practitioners and interest goes. TKD is so completely different from BJJ that I buy this even less from that martial art.

Huh. I did not know this.

Interesting article anyway. It's cool to see all the prerequisites for the IOC's decision into what they allow into the Olympics... even if some do seem hypocritical given some of the sports in the Games.

and :clap: for me for a retardedly long post

10. The Sundance Kid

The Sundance Kid Outlaw Staff Member

Who the fuck cares what they think?

I don't.

11. Intellectual

Intellectual Breathe Life Into a Stone

if they dont allow Sambo or BJJ, they won't allow MMA.

but Judo is fine i guess. You're just throwing a guy on his head.

12. Palma

Palma I am chaos

I agree that it's stupid to think that any sport in it's infancy would be in the Olympics anytime soon... I also think it's stupid to think that any sport this controversial or violent would be an Olympic sport anytime soon. Maybe 50 years from now... but certainly not anytime soon.

13. mauladala

mauladala Machidala

What about BJJ though? I know that's not the thread subj., just wondering what you thought.

14. Palma

Palma I am chaos

I doubt it will ever be popular enough... maybe if it's popularity continues at the rate it currently is growing for the next 20 years or so... maybe. The IFJJ organization has been trying to make it an olympic sport for some time now... it has to be popular world wide; not just in the US, Brazil, Japan, and a few spots in Europe before it becomes an Olympic sport.

15. Poindexter

I agree that popularity seems to be a determining factor, but what about that god damn trampoline gymnastics? That was not a sport for 20 years as far as I can tell. What is needed is some good PR, but you may be right in that may not even work in the short term.

16. mauladala

mauladala Machidala

That makes sense. But it just boggles my mind that a sport like Table Tennis (which I love- as Ping Pong a "recreationally" competitive game) is an Olympic sport. Isn't that severely weighted in popularity to just Asian countries such as China and Japan, and a few others. Maybe I'm not well versed enough to speak on that and I'm just assuming. Handball too. That's mostly European dominated, right?- and few there are excelling at it. Handball might be a bad example.

17. Palma

Palma I am chaos

they just added another event to a pre-existing sport that has dozens of events... it's like if they added a new swimming or diving event. It's not like they are added stock car racing or anything that radical.

18. Poindexter

That's true.