Media personalities that are detrimental to the impressionable

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Hassquatch, Feb 5, 2016.

1. FrankieButNotEdgar

FrankieButNotEdgar Well-Known Member Site Donor

In sports:

Skip Bayless
    Chris Berman
    Deion Sanders
    Michael Irvin
    Roy Jones Jr.
    Bob Costas (it blows my mind how people love this guy so much)

Pundits:

Keith Olbermann
    Bill O'Reilly
    Sean Hannity
    Rush Limbaugh
    Bill Maher (I don't think I hate any one in television as much as Maher unless......)
    Michael Moore (utterly disgusting excuse for a human being)
    Nancy Grace

On the flip side, during football season, PTI with Tony Kornheiser and Michael Wilbon is must see tv for me. I don't watch during non football season because I generally give a fuck less about baseball, basketball, tennis, golf or hockey, but during football season, I love watching those two.

Hassquatch likes this.
  2. Poindexter

Poindexter Reputation: ∞ Staff Member

3. Neganomics

Neganomics Your Trusted Web M.Deezy

I don't agree that Jon Stewart is a detrimental personality overall, but I am disappointed in the cynicism that he seemed to be able to create or worsen in a portion of his viewers.

Learned helplessness among the constituents is quite possibly the single worst thing that can happen in a democracy (also one of the worst things that can happen to an individual in my opinion), and that is one thing I think Stewart fueled at times.

4. Poindexter

I'm a fan of Jon Stewart. I'd say more, but I'm of the impression it would be lost on his detractors anyway.

Nate_Deezy and ATJ-Lucko like this.
  5. Kano

Kano My New Challenge Site Donor

I would say Jon Stewart is as credible as Fox News.

Faux news may be funnier though, because it is unintentional.

6. cheeseflosser

cheeseflosser Well-Known Member

I don't know if this was a shot at me or not but I'm not sensitive.

The subject dealt with discussing which personalities were detrimental to the impressionable. Nates point pretty well sums up exactly why I listed him and I'd stand by that point.

If you take him for what he is- a comedian who is on the left and lampoons issue after issue from an overly-simplified aerial view and makes light of the response, he's harmless, witty, and fun.

If you are an impressionable dumbass....(we have those) you see him as a source of logic and a stable voice against the evil right.

To Nates point, his level of pessimism engrained what I consider apathy and pre-thought dismissal of all things right of main stream media views.

7. Poindexter

Not a shot at you. I appreciate the way comedy/humor speaks to power. I think it is one of the last refuges available. I also think the emphasis on him being a thoughtless dogmatic is inaccurate and lacks some subtlety.

8. cheeseflosser

I think humor takes a stronger understanding of an issue than simple discourse.

I've never called him thoughtless or dogmatic. I just don't think he is nearly as informed on issues without his staff of writers.

9. Poindexter

Could be. I think there is a distinction between running a daily show - five days a week - and who he is as a thinker outside of that. But I differ from you in that the latter isn't where I would see him as deficient. To determine that, however, we would need some more data/evidence to cull from, IMO.

10. cheeseflosser

I would agree that we would need more data. I was basing an assumption on the times I've seen him stumble when pressed and revert to the "I'm a comedian" defense.

To be fair, he IS a comedian.

Poindexter likes this.
  11. unforgivn

unforgivn Nunquam Fidelis

Ben Shapiro

12. cheeseflosser

I've literally never heard Shapiro in the media but I know he got scared by a trans person and bitched out.

13. Nebraska

Nebraska Poindexter For President NFL S.P. Champion Site Donor

Brian Stann.

14. sourdough

sourdough Sourdough Site Donor

Best UFC commentator.

Kano likes this.
  15. Nebraska

Nebraska Poindexter For President NFL S.P. Champion Site Donor

Bigger twat than B.J. Penn.

16. Sniggles

Sniggles ex nihilo

Jon Stewart during the GWB era was absolutely hilarious.
    --- Post Added -- Feb 7, 2016, ---
    Well, obviously. The Daily Show is a scripted television show with dozens of writers/contributors. He did alot of good things with his voice such as calling out the VA. I think his later years during Obama era was just as an Establishment Democrat rather than that of a political satirist.

I did see part of that debate. For example, Stewart said that Clinton eliminated the national debt was severely wrong. I'd give him a pass. What he says on air and advocates is far more positive than what fear and hate-mongering Fox News does. To me, I could tell that he took it far less seriously than O'Reilly did.

Meh, they are there for their job. Spin talking points. The GOP makes it easy. Even without watching the Daily Show, it is obvious that the current stable of GOP are slimy puppets of industry.

17. FrankieButNotEdgar

FrankieButNotEdgar Well-Known Member Site Donor

I like Jon Stewart but I never watched The Daily Show. I don't like political humor or pundits in general. The only exception I've found was Lewis Black and that's just because I like angry comedy.

My view on pundits is if you have the answers as how to fix our broken, pathetic political system, go do something about it besides talk about it.

18. Sniggles

Sniggles ex nihilo

Talking about it to millions is actually doing something about it.

Poindexter likes this.
  19. Ninjastix

Ninjastix Damn Gina Site Donor

Loved Stewart though I don't have to worship at his alter. He was a comedian performing news satire, his politics aside he was extremely entertaining. If you believe his comedy encompasses his beliefs that's on you, not him.

I haven't watched cable news in so long I don't even know half the fucking people listed. Opinion-based news and journalism reflects the value system of the majority. I don't contribute to it, I don't participate in it, consequently I have no need to complain about it.

kanobro and Sniggles like this.
  20. Hassquatch

Hassquatch Slayer

[​IMG]

Kano likes this.