1. The raw hunk of meat that used to be my enemy makes a sound, and I know where the mouth is. And I think the word he's trying to say is 'please'. Pity, not vengeance sends my fist flying into his skull. "UFC 227: Dillashaw vs Garbrandt II" Live Discussion *Spoilers*. Prelims start at 6:15 p.m. ET on Fight Pass.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
The books are open. Get your bets in now for UFC 227: Dillashaw vs. Garbrandt II.

meal replacement ideas

Discussion in 'Training & Nutrition' started by Amlap, Mar 3, 2016.

1. Amlap

Amlap Could have won state

So. I eat a can of tuna every day and I'm really sick of it, but I haven't found a good replacement for it. It can't be protein powder because I already use it as a post workout every day, and I don't want to take two or three servings a day.

I recently bought epic bison bars. Really disgusting shit.

And rxbar which taste ok, by neither have as much protein, they both have way more fat, sodium, carbs, and sodium.

I need it to be Togo food since I take it with me in the morning and don't home until late.

Any ideas something else would be great and appreciated.

2. Hassquatch

Hassquatch Slayer

Fuck the canned tuna. The stuff in the seal bags is better. (And I've hoped better for you...better than a can anyway and you don't need a can opener). They have flavored ones too. But, I see you're still sick of that anyway. They do have salmon also.

Granola?

Can you pre-cook stuff like turkey burgers, lean steak, lean beef, etc. prior and take it with you in a rubbermaid?

Salads to the above idea?

Cereals?

Peanut butter n Banana sandwiches, mmm...

Amlap likes this.
  3. Amlap

I work out of a van and usually eat while I'm driving. I think the only option would be to pack a little container of chicken.

My lunch does sit in the van all day, so I do worry about it spoiling.

4. Hassquatch

Hassquatch Slayer

I figured you had a set-up of sorts where it wasn't convenient. Hmm..coolers/ice are good for 4 hours no problem...probably longer depending on the cooler quality/amount of ice

5. Sniggles

Sniggles ex nihilo

Canned chicken makes a 10 minute meal the night before.

Boiled eggs, cooked ground beef, cooked ground turkey, cottage cheese, frozen chicken breast, beef or chicken liver and onions w garlic, canned mackeral. I'd ditch the tuna and get a cooler and some ice packs. Canned salmon, beans, smoked mussels, sardines and anchovies are also options. With the ground meats just rinse the fat via plate in pan.

Tuna every day is bad due to the mercury. It hurts you over a long period of time and you do not even know it until it is too late. Two days a week is max by most standards, imo. I know alot of people that more.

Best food for your stomach while on the road that is not a protein: sauerkraut. Eat it long enough and feel your guts heal

6. William Munny

William Munny Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

7. Hassquatch

Hassquatch Slayer

sauerkraut. Eat it long enough and feel your guts heal

@Pip Pounded my Pooper Care to elaborate on that you said about sauerkraut?

8. Pinhead

Pinhead Member

terd sandwhich

ph

9. Amlap

Its not 24 hrs anymore. Labor laws.
    --- Post Added -- Mar 4, 2016, ---
    This is great, thank you!

Pip Pounded my Pooper likes this.
  10. Sniggles

Sniggles ex nihilo

@Amlap
    My favorite side dish to dinners and lunches is a very simple quinoa salad. It's the only grain with a complete amino acid profile (protein). After eating it, you sometimes feel a twinge of mass nutrition in your head. It's absolutely refreshing.

2 cup of Quinoa, boil in amount of water that is directed on package. Cut up a tomato, a few sprigs of parsley and a 1/2 of a cucumber. Toss in cooked quinoa along with some garlic powder, tinge of sea salt, touch of vinegar to taste and little bit of pepper/paprika. Sprinkle some crumbled feta on top then stir it up. Takes 15-20 min to make. I usually make a 2x amount of this and eat over 3-4 days. Toss in a bunch of containers and all you need to do is fry up some pork, beef, chicken whatnot to eat alongside.

Qunioa can be pricey if you buy it anywhere but Costco or Walmart.

As for that canned chicken (I get from Costco), do not make the mistake I did. You can eat it in a can but it tastes like shit. I have a bodybuilder friend who just strains and nukes it.... disgusting AF. I find that the more care you put into what you put in your body, the better you will recover from workouts. I recover faster at 30 with healthy cooking than I did at 20 from shitty instant foods. Although, I am sure you know this.

A realllllly quick casserole with canned chicken is here. You can switch the salsa for onion/chopped canned tomato (or even tomato sauce or paste). The cumin can be swapped for chili powder/paprika.

One bad ass thing to put on as many meals a week as you can is turmeric. Over time, that shit can cure most GI ailments when combined with a fibrous diet.

Just some random tips. Someone might want to take to heart. I mean, I ballooned 35 lbs in 6 months due to massive amounts of beer. I lost 25-30 lbs in 3 months by cooking my own food.... even while using canned meats like chicken and tuna. I put on only 5 lbs of muscle probably as I had been doing more cardio and caloric deficits.
    --- Post Added -- Mar 4, 2016, ---
    Also @Amlap, if you have concerns about your food not being cooled while working on the fly, you can get something like this. I believe they go as low as 79.99. It would be a good investment in your health, in my opinion.

11. Amlap

the quinoa salad sounds good!

I don't want to be one of those people that has a problem-roadblock for every solution, but the keeping the meals cold thing is a challenge. I work with animals and every so often a skunk will spray in the van and ruin a bunch of shit. So all my coolers are washable, which limits things.

You guys have given me some good ideas though. I think i'll try cooking several chicken breasts for the week. Cut them into chunks and pack them in a container with olive oil the night before.

This is a specific meal replacement issue I'm having. My diet is consistent through the week. Mon through Friday is:

8am 2x hard boiled egg whites
    10 am apple
    12 pm can of tuna
    2 pm carrots
    4 pm almonds
    6 pm is my meal that varies, but is normally raw vegetables, cooked root veg- brown rice- or quinoa, and chicken- salmon -sometimes beef

I also take 25gms of protein after both workouts and drink a gallon of water

The tuna is my heavy protein snack in the middle of the day and that's one of the reasons it has been hard to replace. I was eating sardines for a while, but they are just too smelly and messy.

I try and keep my diet in a balances 33/33/33 of protein/fat/carbs. I try and keep my protein to chicken and fish, my fat to nuts/avocados/olives/and olive oil, and my carbs to raw vegetables/fruit/cooked root vegetables/ brown rice/ and quinoa.

This has all been good advice. I really appreciate it.

12. Sniggles

Sniggles ex nihilo

You're lucky. I have to go 40/30/20 due to being a endomorph.

13. Amlap

That's close to what I have to do if I am not working out or only working out less than 5x a week. Right now, its all about fuel, and I'm not very lean.

14. Cat--Smasher

Cat--Smasher Putting the stamp on kids Staff Member

Try these using romaine lettuce instead of a bun. Delicious.

We have them at Costco here in BC.

upload_2016-3-4_20-16-33.png
    upload_2016-3-4_20-16-55.png

Amlap likes this.
  15. Sniggles

Sniggles ex nihilo

How's the cost? Gluten Free usually means +20% just for the sake of it.

16. Cat--Smasher

I couldnt tell ya. The little lady takes care of the shopping.

17. Sniggles

Sniggles ex nihilo

Usually I just grab some ground turkey or chicken. Then splash some pre-mixed spices and put it into a ball then fry it up with one of those pre-mixed Dole salads, tomato, cucumber, vinegar, garlic powder, himalayan pink salt, pepper.

My last few exes taught me to cook. I used to be that guy who could only make spaghetti and instant food.

18. Cat--Smasher

Lately I have been mixing in lentils with my ground meats when making tacos, sheppard's pie (can also sub half the mash potatoes for mash cauliflower) and the such. Tastes great and almost has a better consistency. Good way to up the protein without relying so much on meat.

Pip Pounded my Pooper likes this.
  19. Sniggles

Sniggles ex nihilo

A few guys at my gym used to eat baby food after a workout.