1. It’s not a thirst for blood, not at all—but an astonishment, an appreciation for the capabilities of a human that bares his soul naked for the art of combat using strictly his body. That’s entertainment. "UFC Fight Night 139: Korean Zombie vs. Rodríguez" Live Discussion *Spoilers*. Prelims begin at 7:00 p.m. ET on Fight Pass.
    Dismiss Notice

Manager: Conor McGregor wants Nate Diaz trilogy, but Ferguson, Lee, Khabib and Holloway options

Discussion in 'General MMA Forum' started by Cat--Smasher, Aug 27, 2017.

1. thumper

thumper all around great guy Staff Member

and this is the negative side of a bunch of pop culture followers joining in to MMA

Brock Lesnar had a similar effect but at least the WWE fans had some semblence of what MMA was. This kind of stuff brings in floods of people that up until this fighter had probably never paid any attention to MMA.

The worst part is this is precisely who the UFC markets to. the people like us that know the sport are going to watch anyway. but those pop culture freaks are who buy the PPVS for the weeks that it's trendy to watch

the hope is some will actually become fans. but this whole thing started with the FOX deal. just looks like it didn't pay off like they thought it would

all conjecture of course. but I think I'm pretty close

Palma likes this.
  2. AnchorPunch

AnchorPunch Well-Known Member Site Donor

Tito's mom told him that Matt Hammill had a soft head because all deaf people have soft heads...

3. FrankieButNotEdgar

FrankieButNotEdgar Well-Known Member Site Donor

He should relinquish the title if he's not going to defend it BUT.....

I love how people are bitching about his inactivity for the past year and a half when prior to that, he was fighting 3-4 times a year. Only Cowboy comes to mind when it comes to a big named fighter that fought more.

4. AnchorPunch

They're not saying he has a history of it. They're saying that a healthy champion has to defend or relinquish the belt. Given that it's been 14 months and Conor is still saying that he doesn't want to agree to a fight, what's the issue?

NotSoDarkAngel likes this.
  5. Tapout

Tapout Bringing Sexy Back Site Donor

Don’t champions have to fight according to championship clause in contracts?

6. Nebraska

Nebraska Poindexter For President NFL S.P. Champion Site Donor

Are you drunk?

2012: 3 fights
    2013: 2 fights
    2014: 2 fights
    2015: 3 fights
    2016: 3 fights
    2017: 1 “fight”

That’s 2.3 fights per year (if I count the Mayweather sparring session) over the last six years, and 2.6 fights per year if we give him a pass on his vacation of 14 months and counting.

Noise likes this.
  7. Poindexter

Poindexter Reputation: ∞ Staff Member

8. Trodden

Trodden Aggretsuko is my power animal

I would ask what Matt said in response.....but... you know

kanobro likes this.
  9. Spoon

Spoon There is no Spoon

Something like "Eeo uh au-ig i. Ef eeoh oh ah off ed."
    Translation: "Tito's just talking shit. Deaf people don't have soft heads."

I might be going to hell now.

Trodden likes this.
  10. FrankieButNotEdgar

FrankieButNotEdgar Well-Known Member Site Donor

Not likely but it appears I was wrong. For some reason, I thought he was fighting more than that.

11. Trodden

[​IMG]

Spoon likes this.
  12. Qball1974

Qball1974 Tower of Song Site Donor

[​IMG]

Spoon likes this.
  13. Trodden

I said 'I WOULD ASK WHAT MATT SAID IN RESPONSE .....BUT... YOU KNOW'

is there anybody out there

Spoon and Qball1974 like this.
  14. AnchorPunch

You can't compel someone to fight. The only thing the clause does is provide stipulations about contract, so ultimately the conditions under which someone can fight in another org. In the UFC, they're written as automatic extensions to the contract for champions for X time period. I think it's something like 1-2 years.

15. Tapout

Tapout Bringing Sexy Back Site Donor

I’m guessing stripping him voids the champship clause which they don’t want. As that could lead to his contract expiring. Makes sense to why he wasn’t stripped today

NotSoDarkAngel likes this.
  16. NotSoDarkAngel

NotSoDarkAngel Well-Known Member

Very good point. If Conor is in the extension part of his contract, stripping him may make him a free agent. Not the UFCs ideal situation.

Can anyone dig up any news on when he signed his last contract or estimate a date?

17. thumper

I can't imagine he'd go anywhere. there's no way that dude is on his last fight in the UFC. i'd bet money they re-signed him to a loooong contract last time. 10 fights or more. we've seen that with guys like GSP and Silva before

A guy like conor doesn't get allowed to get to his last fight to sign. they do that shit way in advance when they start making money. I'm sure under the guise of offering him more money.

shit anderson silva signed a 15 fight contract to lock him up

https://www.mmafighting.com/2014/10/27/7077539/anderson-silva-signs-new-15-fight-ufc-contract

18. NotSoDarkAngel

NotSoDarkAngel Well-Known Member

For sure, but it may not be an issue with the number of fights, could be the length of time before the contract expires.

19. thumper

riught, but the UFC makes very iron clad contracts. they wouldn't have allowed a short time. he could just get injured and not fight. they have clauses for everything.

here's the rub. he lives in Ireland. well he lives in the US right now. but he could go fight in japan, move to ireland, and ignore a US lawsuit.; as long as he doesn't come back how could they ever collect? I don't think they can go out of the country to enforce lawsuits. I might be wrong though.

but if he's on a contract for a lot of fightts, it would be a '10 fights or 5 years. whichever is longer' type thing. there's no way they'd have been that loose.

No fighter the UFC has ever wanted has been able to expire their contract that I can remember. Rory, henderson etc they were done with anyway. Maybe there's one I'm not thinking of? or more. but they have a way of locking shit up for a long time.

that's how they lock up guys and shelve them, offering them a fight to fulfill a contract they know they won't accept. but they can't leave because they have fights remaining.

unfortunately for them, sometimes the guys take the fights. Pretty sure that's the only reason Hunt is still there, and the only reason Roy Nelson was there so long. till they got tired of him and let it expire

20. Poindexter

Poindexter Reputation: ∞ Staff Member