Lyoto Machida heading back to light heavyweight with Chael Sonnen fight in the works

Discussion in 'General MMA Forum' started by Cat--Smasher, Feb 28, 2019.

1. Cat--Smasher

Cat--Smasher Putting the stamp on kids Staff Member

Lyoto Machida heading back to light heavyweight with Chael Sonnen fight in the works

2. S=E

S=E 5x Pick 'Ems Winner Site Donor

3. thumper

thumper Picogrammy Staff Member

Makes me sick to see a legend like Machida fighting fucking Chael Sonnen right now.

4. S=E

Gotta love Scott Coker.

5. Kevo

Kevo SMOKE BOMB!

Are you saying that based on skill level, or Sonnen being such a piece of shit he's not worthy of being in the same cage as Machida?

6. S=E

I wonder if Lyoto is planning on staying at 205? He holds a win over Gegard, but also Bader. Maybe he feels 205 is the easier path?

7. chuckthechamp

chuckthechamp #NinerEmpire

Either fight would be great to watch but i would think 205 at this point is easier for Machida. Little weight cut and probably an easier path towards the belt..

Kevo likes this.
  8. thumper

thumper Picogrammy Staff Member

...yes...

IN all honesty, I'm saying that because Lyoto is a fighter. A badass fighter who's just not the guy I remember for all those years. After he went back to back to back losses in the UFC it was clear he had just reached that 'level' in his career and probably should have just retired after he came back to beat Andrews or whatever his name it. The guy only had like 10 fights at the time and Lyoto had just lost to 3, and was supposed to beat Brunson but couldn't.

On the flipside we've got..... Chael. a clown that isn't considered a serious fighter on any level right now

Kevo likes this.
  9. Anchorpunch

Anchorpunch Well-Known Member Site Donor

Chael is getting destroyed. They're both older, but Lyoto still has a little bit of his speed. I expect him to win a very boring fight that ends in a dull finish when Chael covers up too quickly.

10. Kano

Kano My New Challenge Site Donor

Chael wins.
    Chael has underrated striking and a great power double.

11. Fedorlei Gomipierre

Fedorlei Gomipierre The IQ Poster Site Donor

I'd prefer Machida, even at this latter stage, to fight superior competition, since Chael has been so washed and deflated since he showed up in Bellator. His Bader finish is one of my all-time favourite nights of MMA, so I'd love to see him getting a rematch there, but realistically, I'd be cool just watching him fight somebody who'll keep it standing and pose a reasonable challenge.

PicogramPenis and S=E like this.
  12. S=E

I'd have to pick Bader right now though. Dude is knocking dicks straight in the dirt.

Fedorlei Gomipierre likes this.
  13. Fedorlei Gomipierre

Fedorlei Gomipierre The IQ Poster Site Donor

Agreed. I do wholly anticipate Bader doing very Bader things in the near future and leaving himself wide open and throwing away a fight against somebody who he could've very easily outgrappled.

Poindexter, PicogramPenis and S=E like this.
  14. Anchorpunch

Anchorpunch Well-Known Member Site Donor

LHW in Bellator doesn't have much in the way of people who hit hard and have decent takedowns. I think that's where Bader freaks out.

But if he fights at HW against a guy like Karitonov? Oh boy... I can see the shot from 10 feet out already.

15. S=E

Lyoto Machida vs. Chael Sonnen slated for Bellator's return to New York in June

--- Post Added -- Apr 4, 2019, ---

16. Sydman

Sydman Active Member

God do I fear for Machida. No man should have to take a beating from the largest arms in west linn, oregon.

17. ATJ-Lucko

ATJ-Lucko Champ-Champ

i rather see that than him in the UFC and being fed to a beast like Romero, its a winnable fight and at-least i know he is not gonna get murdered.

18. Kano

Kano My New Challenge Site Donor

American Gangster wins.

19. Qball1974

Qball1974 Tower of Song Site Donor

He's never lost,

nice call Swami.

20. Bran

Bran The wolf dead.

I won’t speak for Thumper, but for me it’s about the fact that almost every ex-UFC middleweight, light-heavyweight and heavyweight has to work a program with Sonnen just to keep their name out there.

Dimson likes this.