Losing weight.

Discussion in 'Training & Nutrition' started by LookItsLance, Dec 21, 2009.

1. Tapout

Tapout Bringing Sexy Back Site Donor

I was mentioning the studies she talks about on all kinds of consumption. Her YouTube channel is a great source as she brings in nerdier scientists than her to discuss modern research. So if you ever liked her on JRE, she’s even more detailed on this.

https://www.youtube.com/user/FoundMyFitness

And the clips version of channel
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5fdyC4LxyyYv8Am6nDrkmg

2. chrisc

chrisc Ninja

Cocaine helps

3. Miz

Miz mortality, ka, and the Tower

My Sisternlaw, a vegan, told my kids that meat gave their Grandfather a “bad” heart. I don’t even care if it’s true. Keep those opinions for when they are adults.

I could definitely cut back on my consumption of meat, and what type, and I have a bit, but all be damned it just taste so fucking good.

My stomach has gotten bad the last 3-4 months. I went to the doctor b/c I was scared I was having hernia problems again and the doctor told me I needed more fiber. I did bars for a bit then quit. Came back even worse. I bought Metamucil three days ago and I’m starting to feel a little better. Ninja, you have stomach problems, do you take fiber. I wonder if I should see the doctor again? I was going to give it till Thursday. This shit is my own fault cause I took a fuck all (alcohol) approach for far to long.

4. Ninjastix

Ninjastix Damn Gina Site Donor

Technically my issues are intestinal, but no I do not take fiber supplements. I try to get my fiber from vegetables and some fruit.

The fiber supplements play havoc with my guttural bacteria. Gas, bloating, and burning. I'm on 3 different probiotics and I can manage most days. Even on non-Linzess days I can pass waste on my own if I eat a little of certain fruits such as red grapes, pineapples, peaches, or pear.

My problem is my waste doesn't form properly. So even though I can pass waste on my own it's either sludge or it's tattered like ripping up cotton candy. My waste is also not uniform in terms of it being hydrated so I pass drier waste first followed by pockets of wetter waste, which can be extremely painful.

I consider my account acute however and would definitely caution against using me as a baseline. This has been my issue with getting treatment as well. I'm compared to an average and physicians just don't listen to me.

Miz likes this.
  5. MongoloidByChoke

MongoloidByChoke Well-Known Member

Did two 5,000 ft summits today. Mount lincoln 5089ft and mount Lafayette 5230 ft. 9.6 miles in total.
    --- Post Added -- Jun 18, 2019, ---
    EEBE177B-3A78-4437-BBCF-344224D472DF.png

Attached Files:

Cat--Smasher, Miz and Kano like this.
  6. Poindexter

Poindexter Reputation: ∞ Staff Member Survival Pool Champion

Damn! You're on top of it.

Kano and MongoloidByChoke like this.
  7. Kano

Kano My New Challenge Site Donor

I eat a lot of meat, chicken, tuna salmon. Meat is good for you.

You're sisternlaw should have told them (when they're adults of course) how bad sugar is for them.

Miz likes this.
  8. Miz

I love when you quote me on posts that are more than a few months old! I’ve had such a weird last 6-12 months that June feels like a lifetime ago. My stomach feels better now that I’m not drinking. I didn’t mention that, in my assessment, of what could have been a contributing factor!
    --- Post Added -- Nov 7, 2019, ---
    I’ve lost 35 pounds this year. Mainly from going off a medicine. I just went back on the medicine. :( I felt it necessary. It’s at a lower dose, and there is another med that might help counteract side effects for hunger cravings. Wish I could be med free, but doesn’t look possible (atm???). Oh well. I’m not big big. I was 195 and now I’m 170. If I’m “happy” and “sane” and 180 I’ll be ok. 175 even better.
    Still exercising everyday. Hopefully that will help keep the weight off.

Kano likes this.
  9. Cat--Smasher

Cat--Smasher Putting the stamp on kids Staff Member

Do you own a decent blender?

Drink them smoothies if so. Spinach (add what you think, then double it), apples (x2), a banana and a little ginger... add in some of that Metamucil shit mix and you have yourself an amazingly delicious high fiber, high nutrient smoothie. Your shits will love you... or you will love your shits. One or the other.

Poindexter, Kano and Miz like this.
  10. Ninjastix

Another year, another disaster of an October.

Incurred a bout of diverticulitis on vacation back on the first week of October. That led to an intestinal infection which lead to a dual antibiotic treatment that just destroyed me. I'm back down to 1 meal a day, eating in 18-20 hour intervals and I'm up to 5 and a half liters of water a day. I'm slowly losing my god damn mind. I've been trapped in my home for about 6 weeks and much of that has been between bed and the bathroom.

After grabbing some new probiotics and adopting a predominately quick-carb diet, I've finally corrected course. My intestines and rectal cavity is finally free of swelling. And so like the Sisyphus I am, tomorrow I start pushing the rock back up the hill.

m1ckey kn0x, Poindexter and Miz like this.
  11. Clark Kent

Clark Kent Well-Known Member

Question about my diet. I eat 3-4 eggs in the morning with 2 pieces of turkey sausage, lunch I eat 2 turkey burgers 1/4lbs each. No bread, I also eat a serving of baby red potatoes, then dinner same thing as I had for lunch but I add veggies to it, and sometimes a piece of cheese. Still no bread or condiments.

I also have a protein shake, which is about 300 calories. So my total calories for each day are about 1800-1900. My protein in a day is about 200 grams. So my question is with me working out 5 to 6 days a week, is that amount of calories ok for losing weight and maintaining and or gaining muscle.

I had a bad month or little longer. I went of Zoloft and went on something else and ended up gaining about 35lbs. Only thing with this new meds is I’m still angry all the time. I’m hoping with my new workout routine it mellows me out.

12. chrisc

chrisc Ninja

Depends how much you weigh and all. If you're around 200lbs and working out 5-6 days a week, Id say your calories should probably start around 2600. Monitor your weight each day, weigh yourself at the same time each day, and adjust. But I wouldnt try to lose weight and gain muscle at the same time...

13. Clark Kent

Clark Kent Well-Known Member

I’m trying to lose weight and not lose muscle, that’s the key focus. I’ve had a few rough years with eating and gain a shit load of weight after my daughter was born. I didn’t steadily work out for almost 11 months.

at one point I hit almost 400lbs and wanted to stick a gun in my mouth. But I changed a few things, like cutting out soda and sugary drink. And started working out. I lost over 100lbs. I haven’t had a drink of soda or a sugary drink in almost 3 years. I drink nothing but water or flavored water.

but right now my focus is to lose about 60-70lbs. I want to drop the weight as fast as possible but the right way. So the working out is me creating a foundation for when I want to start building muscle. But right now is to lose the weight and not get loose skin.

14. chrisc

chrisc Ninja

Makes sense. I would still say stick to like 2500-2700 calories at first, compound movements, and just keep weighing/measuring yourself and adjust. good luck man

Clark Kent likes this.
  15. m1ckey kn0x

m1ckey kn0x deranged derelict Site Donor

I’m no expert at all in any way, but I think less than 2000 calories a day for most males is not enough to either lose weight effectively or gain/retain muscle. I think you may be hindering your desired goals by not consuming enough calories. I believe that if you eat a low calorie diet like that, especially training 5-6 days a week, that your body will be storing your calories as fat to hold onto because it may think you’re starving with all that training. This is just information that I believe I remember picking up throughout the years when I trained before and took some college nutrition classes.

Unless you’re a really small guy or cutting weight to obtain extreme definition, I personally don’t believe you should be under 2000 calories while training that much, but again, I have zero credentials.

I think you should consume 2500-2700 calories like @chrisc said, and continue to train 5-6 days a week, but every other week or every 3 weeks, take 2-3 days to fully rest and recover. Don’t overthink it and and just work hard and have fun with it. Stick with it and within a year, I think you’ll be happy with what happens. You don’t want to starve yourself cause you want this to be more like a casual but dedicated lifestyle rather than feeling like you’re living in a way that makes you unhappy.

You gotta have a cheat meal day once or twice a month. It helps you keep your sanity and helps you continue for the long run. It’s very rewarding, too. Kinda like a 5 steps forward, 1 step back thing. You’ll still make great progress with time. The only times when someone should stick to a low calorie and strict diet is when you’re trying to get down to 10-12% body fat from a little higher than that. I think. Unless you’re one of the few machines out there who can actually stick to a strict diet without ever cheating and keep sanity. Again, no credentials here.

Edit : just saw your post mentioning wanting to drop the weight as fast as possible but not gain loose skin. Eating low calories like that while training that much is the way people lose weight too fast if their metabolism allows it, but then get loose skin. I suggest you nix the dropping weight as fast as possible notion from your mind, and just look at it for the long run and enjoy the road there working hard and knowing you’re going to get there one inch at a time.

Also, you can lose fat while gaining muscle which means you will not see the pounds drop quickly on the scale like you want. Don’t obsess with the scale cause it can make you feel like you’re not making progress. The scale is only good for very few things. Losing fat deposits is what I think you want right now, not necessarily a whole ton of weight. If you take in proper nutrition and protein, the fat will burn, muscle will build, and then through time, you’ll see pounds drop on the scale. But sometimes it takes up to weeks til the pounds come off the scale even though you’re making a ton of progress burning fat cause of that whole building muscle at the same time thing.

You got this man. It just takes time. And you got all the time in the world to look ahead to as you raise that wonderful daughter of yours. All the different info is overwhelming.

Honestly man, I know it sounds cliche as hell cause of our forum, but you should try looking into doing Jiu jitsu a couple times a week. It’s been amazing for me in so many ways so far, and if you couple it with weight training and eating a good hearty diet, I think you’ll be the man you want to be in due time. There simply isn’t anything that will push you quite like forms of grappling because it’s not a solo grind. You have others pushing you further than what you yourself would’ve.

May I ask what your desire to lose weight/train is for?

Last edited: Nov 14, 2019
  16. Poindexter

Poindexter Reputation: ∞ Staff Member Survival Pool Champion

Slow and steady wins the race.

17. m1ckey kn0x

m1ckey kn0x deranged derelict Site Donor

Damn straight! And you get to eat, too.

One inch at a time, you’ll eventually get to where you’re going.

Poindexter likes this.
  18. Ninjastix

I don't know if anyone else is in this boat but I figured I relay what's working for me.

I only eat one full meal a day because I take linzess. For linzess to work smoothly you want as little in your stomach as possible and for me that means not eating till about 3:30-4:30 pm each day. I'll typically have something to eat around 8pm to avoid snacking. Usually something light like peanut butter on potato wheat or these date/fig bars I have.

I do not run into an issue exercising while fasting. I can do intervals on the treadmill or I go walk/hiking. I can even through in some body weight squats and pushups. I cannot however really weight train or really push the intervals. My blood sugar will crash hard.

I've been trying to find a way to get around this by drinking calories while paying attention to taking in too much sugar. I avoid sugary drinks and have been using 50 calorie V8 "energy" drinks diluted with water. So about 1 can of these things +1.5 liters of water, basically they flavor the water I drink. However 50 calories is too little and in picking back up with my trainer I had bad crashes. Protein shakes haven't worked either on two fronts - not enough quick energy to tap into and the residual whey makes taking linzess difficult. It's not a true empty stomach.

I was in the grocery store and on a whim decided to try a reduced fat/reduced sugar chocolate milk. I don't drink milk, I used to drink Skim by the half gallon at a time (years ago), but got away from it when I really buckled down on sugar intake. I decided to try a 4-5 oz "shot" of chocolate milk 20 minutes before I trained. I figure that would be in the sweet spot between not having it repeat on me during training and hopefully balancing my bloodsugar. And what do you know it's worked like a fucking charm. I had a very intense session today and was not the least bit shaky. I know when my bloodsugar drops because I start yawning uncontrollably and my hands go cold. None of that in the last two sessions, good energy through a 30-40 minute session.

Take it for what it's worth.

Poindexter likes this.
  19. Miz

Started new/old (old cause I used to take it) med about a month ago. Adjusted and added on a new one yesterday. The meds affect my drive to exercise. Trying to force myself to a) still work out and b) not eat everything in site. Sucks because a month ago I was as lean and in shape as I had been in for a long time. Life is all about trade offs. I just have to weather this initial storm and continue to work out. I also bought some healthy snacks (one of the meds I take makes me incredibly hungry).

20. Ninjastix

Being off meds can effect me in that way. I find just ridiculous amounts of cold water really suppress my appetite. When I could eat them, sweet potatoes were always a great food to pile on meals. You can mix 'em 50/50 with Yukons, bake the shit out of them and just add them as a side to what you're eating. It'll fill you up.

I can't really do the sweet potatoes so I use a lot of cauliflower as my surrogate. Very versatile and if you're feeling adventurous they make a hell of a buffalo wing replacement. And if you can handle the spicy stuff or the spicier stuff, that'll help you eat less as well lol.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2019 at 2:54 PM
    Poindexter and Miz like this.