1. It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who are willing to endure pain with patience. Discuss: "UFC 220: Miocic vs. Ngannou" Live Discussion *Spoilers*. Prelims begin at 7:00 p.m. ET on Fight Pass.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We've created a backup site in case the forum experiences any technical difficulties. Please bookmark the following addresses: www.reddit.com/r/MMASPOT/ and/or www.nm.reddit.com/r/MMASPOT/. All urgent announcements will be posted there in the event that the main site goes down. Thank you.
    Dismiss Notice

Losing weight.

Discussion in 'Training & Nutrition' started by LookItsLance, Dec 21, 2009.

1. Poindexter

Poindexter Reputation: ∞ Staff Member

Thanks man.

2. jokerthief

jokerthief No reason to get excited. Site Donor

I've lost 28 pounds in two months with a ketogenic diet. It's great because I'm never hungry.

TriangleSmoke likes this.
  3. Cat--Smasher

Cat--Smasher Putting the stamp on kids Staff Member Survival Pool Champion

My brother in law is pretty much a professional fisherman. Everytime we leave their place we leave with a cooler full of fresh caught salmon, halibut and prawns. Cant go wrong.

With the summer garden and the fresh seafood, other than beer and the odd burrito, my diet is pretty clean in the summer.

4. sourdough

sourdough Sourdough Site Donor Asst. Bookie

Thats one hell of a trip to the inlaws. I love salmon and halibut

5. Ninjastix

Ninjastix Damn Gina Site Donor

I'm down 9 pounds. I had oral surgery last week and since then I haven't really eaten a meal outside of scramble eggs and toast. I've gone back to a protein shake by Optimum Nutrition (combo whey, casein, and creatine). I've been eating yogurt, fruit, but only about 700-1000 calories a day as my mouth can tolerate. I kept up the gym so I want to try and ride out this weight loss bump as much as possible.

To that effect I reached out to a personal training facility in Raleigh. It's not a gym, there's no membership, it's specifically pay-per-session tailored training.

I had held to the belief that if I could shed 20-25 pounds on my own that I'd be more capable of doing core and balance exercises. I now realize that was folly, I need directed guidance and planning on how to build my core strength so everything else I do is easier. I also need daily, weekly, monthly goals. And something that resembles a routine. I need structure in place, then I can worry about challenges and improvisation later.

But I'm the lightest I've been since '03, can run again, and I'm slowing building my strength with total body exercises. It's just time to diversify and concentrate my effort.

I'm excited though, progress has long since been welcome.

Poindexter and Miz like this.
  6. Poindexter

Poindexter Reputation: ∞ Staff Member

Nice work, man.

Ninjastix likes this.
  7. Miz

Miz mortality, ka, and the Tower

I'm toning up a bit. Been hitting Bjj 2-3 times a week and swimming at the pool. I have been taking protein shakes, eating more veggies, taking a multi vitamin and I've been doing a free trial of Nugenics free testosterone pill. You can get it online if you pay the shipping. It's giving me a bit of energy. Probably won't continue past the free sample. I also started taking a shot of apple cider vinegar in my water. Snigs reminded me of a cat at news that did that and it can't likely hurt. I haven't been drinking alcohol or soda and have cut out sweets most the time. Not sure if I've lost much weight but I feel stronger and I'm feeling better when I roll at Bjj. The key for me will be to keep it up when my summer ends in a week and I have to teach. Can't go into a month of remission. That first week will be the battle I can't lose. If I skip Monday Bjj I'll be fucked. War me!

Ninjastix likes this.
  8. Ninjastix

Awesome, I'm interested in going either toward BJJ or Boxing at some point. Having an activity you enjoy is a HUGE difference when you're maintaining your health.

Miz likes this.
  9. Cat--Smasher

Cat--Smasher Putting the stamp on kids Staff Member Survival Pool Champion

ACV can do wonders, but it has to be the pure stuff, not the cheap stuff.

10. Miz

Miz mortality, ka, and the Tower

Not sure how boxing works but with Bjj you can typically do a weeks free trial at a gym. You can try out several gyms to get a feel to see if you like one more than another. I guess it all depends on where you live for how many gyms you have. MMA gyms would have boxing and kick boxing. It's good to be in shape when you do Bjj but the two are not mutually exclusive. My gym has beginners courses for people who want to learn but may not want tough rolls and they also have all levels where beginners can come in and get some good rolls. I like Bjj to get in shape b/c a good roll works everything. I try to go hard but not be spastic. I also go in with out an ego and will put myself in tough spots. If you're worried about being new and getting thrown to the wolves go to the beginner class or typically on the first night an instructor will partner you up with someone who won't go crazy. I take pride that my instructor will sometimes pair me up with new people. You can also flow roll where you just go light.

I agree that finding a hobby helps keep you in shape. I had no grappling experience when I started at 30. It's never to late to start something new.

Ninjastix likes this.
  11. Ninjastix

I agree, getting older you let down some of that pride and realize the most important step is the first one. I really want to learn the boxing movement and rhythm more than anything.

Miz likes this.
  12. Sniggles

Sniggles ex nihilo

13. Sniggles

Sniggles ex nihilo

Last day before my big cut.

I stocked up on yogurt, cottage cheese, veg, meat.... tons of kale. In Spring I cut from 189 to 155 in 3 months. This time, I am aiming for 160 to 145 in 2 weeks. I want to hit 145 to get to ~10 BF before a major bulk.

Today, beer... chips... Casadores.... meat... potatoooooooooooesss... :D

14. Hassquatch

Hassquatch Slayer

Dandelion helps with water bloat doesn't it?

15. Sniggles

Sniggles ex nihilo

Oh man, those are the worst tasting ever. I tried a smoothy with the greens once. BLEGH!

It is simple. Eat veggies. Eat little carb and make sure it is complex grain if at all. Eat lots of protein.

When you bulk, add in nuts between meals and complex carb like buckwheat, quinoa, multigrain rice in measured amounts for breakfast or dinner. Add in spices particularly renowned for inflammation to increase healing.

16. bradlabo

bradlabo In Half Guard I Trust

That is a good cut. i went from 165 down to 145 in a month and a half. really all i did was cut down on my portion sizes and a little cleaner. 1 cheat day a week.

17. Hassquatch

Hassquatch Slayer

Veggie smoothies taste fine if you add fruit or even just a flavored protein mix. They still look like crap.

Then again I'm able to eat kale raw with my meals and it doesn't bother me.

18. Sniggles

Sniggles ex nihilo

It's a cereal replacement for me.

I like to do kale, banana, blueberry, ginger, chia/flax seeds. Gorilla poops!

19. Hassquatch

Hassquatch Slayer

I judge my veggie intake by whether or not my poop is green.

Sniggles likes this.
  20. Sniggles

Sniggles ex nihilo

Beets make a wizz interesting

Hassquatch likes this.