1. Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat. "UFC on Fox: Poirier vs. Gaethje" Live Discussion *Spoilers*. Prelims started at 3:30 p.m. ET on Fight Pass.
    Dismiss Notice

Losing weight.

Discussion in 'Training & Nutrition' started by LookItsLance, Dec 21, 2009.

1. Sniggles

Sniggles ex nihilo

I find that for my palatte the berries go better with spinach and kale goes better with tropical fruits like mango/pineapple. Kale is far more versatile than spinach is for smoothies. Too much Kale is bad for you. Gotta switch up the greens weekly at minimum. The worst greens I have ever tried were dandelion greens because I haven't found a fruit combo to make them tolerable.

Grats on the nupitals! More like Paythewife!

2. Paytheplayer

Paytheplayer Left leg put u 2 cemetery

Just had asparagus, cucumber, a few blueberries and strawberries, and a tiny amount of ginger.
    I'm trying to have a wider variety of veggies. I havent had asparagus or cucumber in my smoothies until today.
    All I could taste was the ginger. It tasted like the juices I was having, except icey from the ice.

Sometimes I add some natural peanut better too. It goes amazing with banana in your smoothie.

3. Sniggles

Sniggles ex nihilo

I used to drink banana peanut butter vanilla whey smoothies all the time. Yum!

4. Paytheplayer

Paytheplayer Left leg put u 2 cemetery

Yeah I love those I usually get whey protein because chocolate doesn't always mix well, depending on what you mix with.

Weighed in this morning at 194.4. Did not expect to lose that much In a day. It's not ideal since I want to maintain muscle mass but oh well

5. Poindexter

Poindexter Reputation: ∞ Staff Member

6. Ninjastix

Ninjastix Damn Gina Site Donor

Very impressive.

7. Ninjastix

After getting prescribed Linzess I went about a diet and just general exercise program. Trying to just drop my gut. I have no desire to do Ironmans, I don't want to pretend I'm an athlete when I'm not and do something like Crossfit and injury myself any worse than I am. I start a PT regiment next week for what my Orthopedist believes is a SLAP tear in my left shoulder, so I try to keep my exercises simple.

That being said, weight loss has been tough for me. Eating has not been an issue this time. I eat a very clean diet and about 1/3rd the portion I used to eat. This is part willpower, but mostly due to the IBS. I started using the Optimum nutrition line of shakes, their gold standard whey, their platinum whey, and their oats and whey. I would have 3 shakes a day mixed with 8 oz of unsweetened coconut almond milk and ice. I'd have an evening snack of hummus and melba. I did this for 8 weeks.

I'm not lying. I got a fitbit, and while I was very skeptical about these wearables, they actually can keep you honest. I found myself projecting my conscience onto it and would strictly monitor and count every last thing I was putting in me. This amounted to burning 10-12 thousand calories more per week than I consumed. That sounds like a lot (and it is), but honestly the shakes kept me full and satisfied.

Problem is I didn't lose much weight, nor did my BMI change which is unusual. The only explanation in my mind would be my age, and it's just not going to get any easier to get weight off as a I get older. The other issue is, I can't eat more. I physically cannot do it even with the Linzess. Eating big meals or more often means more stress on my digestive system, means more bloating, more gas, more pain, meaning I have less energy to exercise.

As for exercising, I alternate jogging on the treadmill with intervals of hills and runs with the same routine on an elliptical (where I use the hill program and crank up the resistance). I typically will lift weights before I do either one, but I have to be careful with the shoulder. I have full range of motion but dips are impossible. My shoulder locks in place and I cannot push up.

So my Dr. prescribed me (as a trial) Qsymia, which is a weight loss aid. It's part appetite suppressant (which I don't need), part seizure medication. Has the benefit of increasing weight loss. Problem is 4 days into taking it I was in a state of perpetual rage. Not anger. Rage. I either wanted to break everything in front of me or kill someone. So I had to stop taking it, and that was only a half dosage (3.5 mg).

So my options are thin for ideas on getting... well, thin. I have lost weight this week so I've finally seen some improvement. I've definitely noticed a difference in my size in terms of my waist and my clothes fitting me, but not in my weight. I eat a really clean diet, high quality ingredients I either buy or go to a select few places where I get lean protein on fresh salads with minimal accompaniment. I dearly miss vegetables, but my system handles them poorly. I will make soups in the near future, free of sodium, free of fat, but there's an IBS cost to be paid for having things like lentils, celery, carrots, turnips, squash. Crazy to think but that's all I crave, fresh veggies roasted or steamed.

I'm open to any ideas or foods you folks have used to drop weight. Specifically I have stored fat I need to purge. I make sure I get in activity everyday, whether I work out or not. I'm trying to rest on the weights because I was little too gung-ho at the inception. On days off I try to walk 3-4 miles making sure that I just treat myself to the one meal, typically Dinner, typically Mediterranean.

My vitals are pretty fucking stellar for being about 50lbs overweight, I have a resting heart rate of 51 bpm, blood pressure is 120/75, my cholesterol ratio is good but my HDL is dreadful despite the fact I don't smoke, I don't really drink (maybe 3 beers a month), I exercise, and avoid fatty foods. My A1C levels are also pre-diabetic range, which for being a TypeII diabetic is also a good thing. Problem is my back and knees are not going to get any better with my gut being what it is. I feel like I've solved my compulsion to overeat or to feast in general. I'd like to see some results however.

For context I started my regiment back in July. Since I've started I've lost 6 lbs. But 3 came in the last two weeks. I'm not frustrated to the point I want to give up, I just want to ensure I'm not being my own worst enemy by consuming less calories. I have a feeling my body just wants to store food, but I've done well before on low sugar/low carb diets. I'm also combining that with low fat this time as well, the fact I take in is either from nuts or from olives. But everything is portion controlled, weighed, or measured. I don't have a sweet tooth, I'm not a big snacker. Plus, I really like healthy foods.

I feel like I probably need to eat a bit more, but how the fuck I go about it I have no idea. With IBS you're forever sitting on a timebomb. And my insurance sucks...

To refill Linzess is 200 bucks after insurance.

That's a fucking car payment.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2015
    Poindexter likes this.
  8. Rise

Rise Well-Known Member

I'm no expert by any means but there are for sure issues you can cause that impede you weight loss when you lower you calorie intake by a good margin.

maybe not the best sitte for info but explains it better then I can. http://www.veganproteins.com/not-losing-weight-you-may-not-be-eating-enough/

Also keep in mind that your replacing fat with muscle mass as well with some of the exercising you are doing and muscle will weigh more. That might explain the looser clothing but still the same weight. I wouldn't worry about the BMI at all really that's just a quick way of trying to judge things and it doesn't factor in the difference between muscle and fat. Even when I was in peak shape playing sports every day and cardio for days my BMI was considered high.

It's harder when you get older takes a lot more to get the diet and exercise thing tuned in just right.

The injuries and being older make it tough I'm in the same boat as you on that one.

9. Sniggles

Sniggles ex nihilo

You should only be restricting 200-300 calories less than what you should be eating. You sound like you hit a little plateau. Too much caloric restriction and your muscles cannot get fueled or replenish and you won't be able to lift enough. Lifting makes your fat burn far more than just cardio. Also, it might help to run/walk in the morning then lift hard 5-6pm. Getting more reps and weight in your sets will not only start getting you more muscle but it will fuel your fat reserves to burn.

Don't ever take those shitty dietary aids. ECA stack is less dangerous than that. If you are paranoid about side effects and have a bad heart, keep using that BPM monitor.

10. bradlabo

bradlabo In Half Guard I Trust

I have a fitbit as wll. And if you are actually honest on it with your food intake it is a helpful tool

11. Ninjastix

Been awhile since I've posted here but I'm more or less the same position I've been in. I'm going to try a 5:2 intermittent fasting program.

On Mondays and Thursday I will consume 600 calories and the remainder of the week I'm going to stick to my normal 1800-2000 calorie allotment.

I'll be combining this with interval sprinting on the treadmill. 4-5 sets of running as fast as I can for 30-40 seconds followed by 2 minute cool down. In addition to my normal weight and push-up regiment.

Need to get back on a leaner diet.

Poindexter likes this.
  12. cheeseflosser

cheeseflosser Well-Known Member

I've only been successful losing weight and controlling cravings by going low carb. Anytime I diverge from 25-40 carbs a day I start to gain.

Luckily, traditional buffalo wings, steak, shrimp and burgers minus bun are up my alley.

13. Ninjastix

Same, but last few years I've been eating less and less meat. I'm fine with eggs. I gotta get more vegetables in my diet that my body will tolerate.

14. Amlap

Amlap Could have won state

I scramble my eggs with spinach or kale when I am not eating enough veggies. I sauté the veggies first and then add the eggs in at the end.

15. cheeseflosser

cheeseflosser Well-Known Member

I'm a fritatta machine.

The problem with low carb is not getting enough fat oddly enough. I just read a pretty lengthy article discusses using the addition of coconut oil to smoothies to get the intake needed. Most outlets recommend 50% of calories come from fat.

Salmon and asparagus is a mainstay at my house.

Cat--Smasher likes this.
  16. Sniggles

Sniggles ex nihilo

https://truenutrition.com/p-1126-custom-mix.aspx

A site that TheKidInside recommended to me. Mix and match protein. He suggested rice, pea, and hemp mix. 20/30/40 to get a full protein profile.

Why Aspara--gas?

17. Amlap

Amlap Could have won state

I use olive oil on my raw veggies. I also eat nuts, nut butter, seeds, avocados, and olives for my fat intake. I try and have one serving of protein, veggies, and good fats together every two hours, five times a day.

For breakfast ill have kale, eggs, and avocado.
    Snack with be apple with almond butter.
    Lunch will be chicken, olives, and carrots
    2nd snack will be celery with almond butter
    Dinner will be chicken, spinach and olive oil

Something like that

kanobro likes this.
  18. m1ckey kn0x

m1ckey kn0x deranged derelict Site Donor

I've gained 55 pounds since last June. Not the good kind.

19. Sniggles

Sniggles ex nihilo

First step is admitting you are fat!

There's two things to losing weight.

Eat less and exercise.

All else is bullshit.

I lost 35 lbs in 2 1/2 months. Not hard. Just focus on discipline rather than will power.

I smoke cigarettes when I want and not daily. Addiction is an excuse. You have choices. Think better thoughts. Make better choices. Get better, homie.

If there's anything worse than fat chicks, it's fat dudes!

20. Kano

Kano My New Challenge Site Donor