Losing weight.

Discussion in 'Training & Nutrition' started by LookItsLance, Dec 21, 2009.

1. LookItsLance

LookItsLance fuck if I know...

Me and the fiancee are finally deciding to lose some weight. We are at 284 and 250 respectively. We are out of shape but we started going to the gym last week and are trying to eat better. I know alot of people here work out and the such, and I am really not trying to lift weights and get muscle right now. I plan on doing that later but right now I just want to burn some fat and lose a good deal of weight. I was told by a friend who lost some that its all about cardio and the eliptical.

I was wondering if some people could tell me a good workout routine, how much on each machine, how many times a week I should go, and/or just any general tips to help us out.

Yes, Im a fat mother fucker.

2. jesusatemyhotdog

jesusatemyhotdog Welcome to the machine.

I just went on a 6 month coke binge. Dropped 58 pounds.

3. LookItsLance

all out of coke...

4. jesusatemyhotdog

jesusatemyhotdog Welcome to the machine.

You're in Florida for fuck sakes. You can find some.

5. RF76

RF76 beach bum

Breakfast--- Egg whites and wheat bread

Lunch--- Chicken and rice

Dinner--- Chicken , rice and beans.

Walk as much as you can.

No sodas, drink water.

Have a glass of grapefruit juice after each meal.

Take a multivitamin everyday.

It will suck but it will work.

If you want a snack stock up on rice cakes. They make flavorful ones now, they are ok.

6. gogoplata

gogoplata New Member

Whenever I needed to lose weight I would simply stop eating any fast food, or anything seemingly unhealthy from the grocery. Do at least 30 minutes of cardio exercise everyday 365. I would also obstain from eating any other meat than tuna for a few months. Buy lots of tofu, get a rice steamer, those cheap frozen bags of veggies are decent, hummus and crackers. Also eat smaller portions and keep on the cardio work.

Ive never been that heavy, but back when I was teaching that bjj/self defense course thats what I would advise people to do to ease back into being in some sort of shape.

oh and you could always adopt an annoying dog. ive seen that work wonders too.

*tons of cocaine will do it too, if you dont die in the process! but the youll be one ugly tweaked out bastard when you come off your white diet.

7. RF76

RF76 beach bum

Doing cardio will make you hungry as shit, but that's a good thing because you are burning a lot of calories and your body wants more.

Ever take a swim? You are hungry like you haven't ate in a week after it. Don't fill up on junk. Chicken and rice, even brown rice is good with a little light soy sauce.

8. gogoplata

gogoplata New Member

Right on, but id say stay away from chicken for a while. Because it gets too easy to associate any chicken as ok on your new life changing diet. Those breaded frozen chicken patties are basically like eating McDonalds nuggets, and most grilled chicken in restaurants is poorly seasoned with excess salt.

Cut down on the salt.

And swim :0):domo:

9. chrisc

chrisc Ninja

If you aren't really eating healthy and exercising right now, I'd say just cut out the small stuff(sodas, junk food, etc.) and exercise as often as possible now. From personal experience, dramatically changing your diet right away and cutting everything out you will end up not sticking with it so it's better to ease into it. Just my opinion though. I know I don't like just drinking water, I think Crystal Light is a good substitute if your looking for some flavor. I think someone else mentioned it but rice cakes are a good snack as well. As far as cardio goes, I could be wrong, but instead of doing something like jogging for 30 minutes, it's better to do intervals.

10. RF76

RF76 beach bum

Did I mention swim?

Don't worry shit floats :domo:

11. Clint

Clint Administrator Staff Member

Diet, Diet, Diet. If you aren't eating clean, then exercise isn't going to help too much.

It might help to go with a john berardi style diet to start since it's no counting or anything, just get a protein and 1 serving of veggies at every meal and save processed/higher GI carbs for post workout.

12. LookItsLance

Well so far I have been eating salad with vinegrette for most lunches, sometimes having just some veggies and something small. For dinner I am cutting out the sides mostly like potatoes and such and having a small portion of meat and a couple veggies. If I really get the munchies for dessert later I usually eat a fruit or have a small bowl of apple sauce. So eating wise its alot better then what I was having(2-3 fast food burgers/goditas/etc for lunch and a couple servings of stuff at dinner.)

Workout wise I am slowly but surely getting better at the machines. I have worked my way up to 18 minutes on eliptical, 10 on bike, 18 more on eliptical, 10 on treadmill, and a last 18 on eliptical. I want to try to get it up to 1 hour on eliptical and 20 on other cardio.

What do you guys think of this? I am not having a STRICT diet, but I am cutting out sodas, desserts, replacing anything fried with healthier alternatives, and if it is fried, like onions only using a little bit of EVOO. I figured if I just slowly changed my diet it would go better for me. I figure if I was maintaining my weight around 280 eating shitty and not excersizing, any diet and excersize should help.

13. Paytheplayer

Paytheplayer Left leg put u 2 cemetery

Elliptical?
    While that's all well and good, I wouldn't spend the most of your time on it. It's not a natural motion that you would do everyday. I would recommend switching it up, and doing intervals. One of the fastest ways to burn the fat, is by doing intervals. You go at a high pace for say 30 seconds - a minute, and then steady pace for a minute. Keep that up for a good 20 minutes, and then switch machines. The treadmill is the best place to spend the majority of your time though.
    I know the elliptical is easier and more fun, but it's more fun for a reason. It's not as hard as running lol.

Another thing is, weights don't have to be used to build muscle. If you use them right, you can use them for toning. You should absolutely NOT exclude weight training, because it can help you tremendously, regardless what your goal is.
    If you're going to be spending an hour and 20 mins at the gym, you should do maybe half an hour of weight training, and then finish off with 50 mins of cardio.

The biggest weight loss tip = water. Have atleast 6-8 glasses of water a day, and keep yourself hydrated during workouts.

14. Fat Ass

Fat Ass I need Help

Drink a glass of vegetable juice 30 minutes before every meal, not only is it healthy for you but you wont be as hungry when you eat...

15. LookItsLance

I was doing elliptical training because everything I have read on the subject has it better then the treadmill and when I did 15 on both machines I burned more calories on the eliptical. I do plan on doing weight training but for now I wanna get into shape a little bit more, and then I plan on doing light toning weights, when that time comes ill probably ask for a good workout plan(which machines, how long, reps, etc.)

---------- Post added at 01:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:49 PM ----------

Please keep the tips coming, I have been drinking alot more water, and will try the vegtable juice.

16. RF76

RF76 beach bum

Get the lower sodium V8, regular V8 has a shitload of salt and it will make you retain water.

17. bigsmooth696969

bigsmooth696969 G.T.L.

I was just about to ask the same questions! I am 6'6" and about 320. I played football and baseball all through school and football in college. I have always been a big guy. I carry the most weight in my midsection but i dont have a beer belly. I also only wanted to lose fat and not build muscle. I work in a furniture warehouse and for the Bengals in security so strength is not the problem. I have eliminated soda but my problem is eating late. I work 1-9pm so I am never awake for breakfast. My first meal usually isn't until 4pm with my second ,and last meal, around 9:30pm. I recently have started going to a gym 4 days a week after my shift at work is over. I stay away from high weight and mostly do cardio. I do 30 minutes on the treadmill to warm up, then 20 on the bike. While I am not running I am at a light jog. I then do light, high rep weight training only for my upper body. Usually my whole routine is about 75-90 minutes. Any ideas to tweak this?

18. Paytheplayer

Paytheplayer Left leg put u 2 cemetery

Well, my personal advice is that the treadmill is better. But to each their own. I would actually run outside, or if you can find an indoor track. If not, then the treadmill can work.
    But like I said, intervals are the best. Even on the elliptical, go balls out for a minute and just totally kick ass, then steady for a 1 minute. Works great regardless of what machine you are on. I'd suggest starting to add the weights asap, they can work wonders.

Also, protein. Try to take in as many grams of protein a day, as per pound of body weight. So if you are 250lbs, consume 250 grams of protein. Whey Protein powder is great.
    Like for every diet, of course water. You've heard it before and you'll hear it again. Water whenever you can.
    Also, if you start at 1pm, try to eat something before you leave, even if it's really light. Not eating for long periods of time can really halt your progress. Your body needs the energy.

Also, when you are doing your weight training, don't exclude your lower body. Legs are HUGE calorie burners. Not only that, but it can really help your core.
    If I was you, I would suggest starting off on the treadmill for about 10-15 minutes for your warmup. Then, move on to your weight training. If you do your weight training before your cardio, your body will be ready to just burn the calories once you start cardio. Plus, you have more strength for the weights. When you are done your weight training, then hit cardio hard to end your session.
    As soon as you are done your workout, you should always consume some protein within 30 mins.

19. bigsmooth696969

bigsmooth696969 G.T.L.

The reason I omit my lower body is my legs are very defined and really my only fat on my legs are my inner thighs. Plus, I do have bad knees and both feet have no arch left anymore so they tend to get very sore. I do see your point in spreading the cardio out and I am gonna give it a go. Thanks!

20. Anal Prolapse

Anal Prolapse Cavs Creampied My Bostonhole

This is what i eat when I want to drop weight.

Morning You want to eat something that has a lot of fiber in it if possible. Fiber stays in your stomach longer and will keep you from being hungry soon after breakfast. I eat Oatmeal with a table spoon of Peanut butter mixed in and the oatmeal is plain. I will also have a half a glass of OJ.

Mid morning A breakfast bar or protein bar, that deicison is for you to make.

Lunch Tuna plain with eggs scrambled mixed together and your choice of condiment like Ketchup mustard ect...I use hot sauce and BBQ. You could also have a turkey sandwich on wheat bread if that is to hard for you to get down.

Snack before dinner- Protein shake

Dinner Salad with grilled chicken and Apple cider vinegar for dressing.

So in a nutshell if you are eating this way and you do lets say a 2 mile walk each day with weight training as well you will drop weight very fast. You sound like you are overweight by a good amount and I am not judging you but if this is the case this change of life style will be huge for you. You will drop weight very fast at first and just keep on it and it will come off slow but it will come off.

Also drink water anytime during the day you feel hungry, Water will curb your appetite. I myself like water at room temp. If you want to get the most cal burn even though slight drink cold water. Your body will burn just a slight amount more cals digesting the water as the water must be at a certain temp before it is digested. Hence your body must warm the H2O so you burn a bit more cal's nothign crazy prob not even measurable.

Chewing gum will kill you to if you are trying to lose weight. When you are chewing gum your brain is telling your stomach to start the digestive process because your mouth is chewing as to swallow somthing. This will make you feel a lot hungrier than you will want to.

I am sure there are a alot of ways I can hlep you...if you get to the weight portion and want a good routine i think i can be of assistance.

Hope this helped
    MBC...