Let's talk about mental health

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Neganomics, Apr 9, 2015.

1. Neganomics

Neganomics Your Trusted Web M.Deezy

In conversations I have had with various members of this board, I have come to learn that we have a pretty incredible cornucopia of mental disorders within our community. Myself included. So let's talk about it. What are your experiences in mental health care? What are some of your concerns? What are some pros and/or cons of your experiences with mental health care providers? What types of things would you like to see addressed in the field?

I ask because I think I have decided on pursuing a dual internal medicine and psychiatry residency program. As of now, there are 12 such programs in existence in the U.S.

Addiction counts, by the way. In fact, that is one of my biggest areas of interest leading me towards mental health as a career choice.

And I will be sharing my own experiences with you as well. So don't think of this as a "confide in me because I suddenly feel qualified" type of deal. This is an open dialogue free of judgment focused on building understanding and fostering personal growth.

Nauner and Intellectual like this.
  2. TriangleSmoke

TriangleSmoke Motherfucker of the Century Site Donor

I've struggled with addiction in the past. 12 steps weren't for me, but I got through it and haven't messed with the hard stuff in 2 years. I think my addictive tendencies are rooted in emotional instability and/or mental health issues. Not bipolar disorder, but perhaps borderline personality disorder.

I've been "diagnosed" with adhd, but not by a psychiatrist. It sounded to me like a doctor who just wanted to peddle pills to me, but whatevs. It helped me get my work done more efficiently, but I stopped taking the stuff.

Nate_Deezy and MIZjitzZOU like this.
  3. Miz

Miz mortality, ka, and the Tower

Bi-polar 2(add/anxiety/ocd)/alcoholic

People need to remember it is a process. It takes time. I am 35 and just now feel really happy. Tell the patient not to give up. Be confident for the patient even when they are in crisis. Let them know you respect their opinion but you are the expert. It's give and take. Just some quick thoughts.

I'm tired and working again so I will write more later.

I also am getting familiar with the new forum. Damn change.

Nate_Deezy likes this.
  4. Neganomics

Have you been diagnosed with either bipolar or borderline personality disorder? If not, what has made you suspicious about potentially having either of those conditions?

For me, I had never considered the possibility that I may have had ADHD until my best friend, who is currently in law school and was finishing up his master's in psychology at the time of his diagnosis, was diagnosed with ADHD. Then I began reading about the condition, and not only did I identify with the material I was reading, I felt like I myself could have written the pieces. It was as if someone were following me around with a notepad and writing down literally everything I habitually did.

5. TriangleSmoke

I don't have the manic highs and bottomed out lows. My ex girlfriend suffers from bipolar to this day, and it's truly a beast of a condition. I'm just taking an uneducated guess when I say borderline personality disorder. I browsed through some symptoms that hit home with me to a certain degree. Some of them are more applicable than others:

Specific Symptoms of Borderline Personality Disorder
    A person with this disorder will also often exhibit impulsive behaviors and have a majority of the following symptoms:

• Frantic efforts to avoid real or imagined abandonment
    • A pattern of unstable and intense interpersonal relationshipscharacterized by alternating between extremes of idealization and devaluation
    • Identity disturbance, such as a significant and persistent unstable self-image or sense of self
    • Impulsivity in at least two areas that are potentially self-damaging (e.g., spending, sex, substance abuse, reckless driving, binge eating)
    • Recurrent suicidal behavior, gestures, or threats, or self-mutilating behavior
    • Emotional instability due to significant reactivity of mood (e.g., intense episodic dysphoria, irritability, or anxiety usually lasting a few hours and only rarely more than a few days)
    • Chronic feelings of emptiness
    • Inappropriate, intense anger or difficulty controlling anger (e.g., frequent displays of temper, constant anger, recurrent physical fights)
    • Transient, stress-related paranoid thoughts or severe dissociative symptoms
    That pretty much sums it up for me.

6. TriangleSmoke

And it started progressing around age 25

and I've never felt suicidal. Like George Carlin says, I've got too much shit to do.

7. Neganomics

Have you noticed any changes since you started using psychedelics? Any alleviation or provocation of symptoms?

I know LSD in particular has been shown to be effective for treatment of PTSD. I'm just wondering if there's any potential for treatment of other conditions.

8. TriangleSmoke

i'
    I've thought about it, but not really to be honest. I started using psychedelics when I was a teenager. I wasn't using them nearly as much as I am now, but I've never really noticed any adverse emotional effects from psychedelics other than the occasional bad trip, but all that is is my ego being completely dissolved. I've had a few bad ones, but I always came out of them feeling like hero, like I had conquered the beast or something.

I wonder if some if it is genetic, or maybe it's things that are still lingering from childhood experiences? I've never used the "child of divorce" garbage as some kind of crutch. However, I can't help but think certain things I witnessed between my mother and father when I was a young child did play some part in my unorthodox mental wiring.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2015
  9. TriangleSmoke

and just to be clear, I certainly am not ruling out that LSD could have potentially exacerbated some of these symptoms. They could have been a lot less pronounced before LSD. LSD can have a rough edge, that's for sure. Out of all the mindaltering drugs I've taken, if any of them exacerbated the symptoms over the years it was LSD. I've had some humbling, magical, positive and genuinely meaningful and helpful experiences with that substance though. It's all about your intent. Every time I had a bad trip my intent was to get fucking loaded.

10. Neganomics

The child of divorce thing is very legitimate, especially if the event occurred during your formative years. It could certainly explain some of the interpersonal elements of the condition. Fear of abandonment, idealization/devaluation, etc. I mean honestly almost all of the characteristics you listed in your description of borderline personality disorder could be related to your experience.

But idealization and devaluation of individuals is something I relate to all too well. And it is a pretty interesting subconscious defense mechanism.

You may be interested in reading about attachment theory if you haven't already. Particularly attachment patterns. I'm not trying to diagnose you, so I apologize if it comes across that way. I'm just trying to point you in the direction of resources that may help you find some answers, whether you are consciously seeking them or not. Of course you can use or reject them as you see necessary, and that's fine too. Excuse the Wiki-citation, but:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attachment_theory#Attachment_patterns

I'm more interested in whether or not any of the psychedelics you have used may have brought you relief from your symptoms. Therapeutic use of hallucinogens is another field that fascinates me.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2015
  11. Trodden

Trodden Aggretsuko is my power animal

Im addicted to anger

12. Surfrock66

Surfrock66 The Tirade Masta

Diagnosed depression and anxiety, well controlled with Sertraline (Zoloft) 50mg/day. Also recently put on a beta blocker for migraines...it is supposed to help with anxiety too, but that's peripheral.

Mom was severely borderline with several psychotic breaks before she died...it's on my radar.

If I could self-diagnose my core disorder, it's "Obsessive Compulsive Personality Disorder." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obsessive–compulsive_personality_disorder

13. Intellectual

Intellectual Breathe Life Into a Stone

@Nate_Deezy

Not mental health related but thought you'd appreciate this. I may have a mild form of Gilbert's Syndrome. Got my LFT's a few months ago, and my bilirubin level was slightly above the normal range. I've noticed a small amount of jaundice at the periphery of my sclera, and it gets worse when I drink less water (I don't drink much water). The physician said I just need to exercise, diet, and make sure I'm not volume depleted.

14. Sniggles

Sniggles ex nihilo

Everyone's got some sort of disorder if they were scrutinized long enough by a psychiatrist.

15. Neganomics

Interesting. I don't know much about the condition, but on the limited reading I just did it seems like you may have a decreased risk of coronary artery disease. So congrats on that lol. But as for the condition itself, what are some of the concerning elements?

I rather resent the notion that disease fishing is a necessary element of psychiatric practice. But perhaps you were being facetious.

Intellectual likes this.
  16. Intellectual

Intellectual Breathe Life Into a Stone

The doc said avoid anything in excess that can cause harm to the liver. That's pretty much all I was really told.

17. Neganomics

So the anti- @ILJO lifestyle?

Intellectual likes this.
  18. Sniggles

Sniggles ex nihilo

What I mean is that everyone has issues that could be defined by a disorder.

In my opinion, not every disorder is a disease; a way of thinking or being is not a disease. Not everything can be fixed by pharma.

And yes, I do think that some doctors do lackadaisically prescribe rather than advise as I have seen them in action. I did not make a generality or a stereotype.

19. Trodden

Trodden Aggretsuko is my power animal

so getting laid is good for your liver?

Intellectual and Sniggles like this.
  20. Sniggles

Sniggles ex nihilo

Only if you wrap it, you don't wanna catch Hep C from the nursing home.

Trodden likes this.