1. It’s not a thirst for blood, not at all—but an astonishment, an appreciation for the capabilities of a human that bares his soul naked for the art of combat using strictly his body. That’s entertainment. "UFC Fight Night 139: Korean Zombie vs. Rodríguez" Live Discussion *Spoilers*. Prelims begin at 7:00 p.m. ET on Fight Pass.
    Dismiss Notice

Kettle Bells

Discussion in 'Training & Nutrition' started by Intellectual, Aug 10, 2009.

1. Intellectual

Intellectual Breathe Life Into a Stone

Anyone know a good site where I can purchase quality kettlebells.

2. tick

tick is banned?

There expensive...
    http://www.dragondoor.com/kettlebells/

I was told those are quality.

I personally got mine from a play it again sports type of place. Half the cost of those on the web and no shipping charge. In my case at least.

3. Steve

Steve D'arce Vader

priceyyyyyy :(

4. tick

tick is banned?

yea they are... I have a 40 lb one and I like it. Swings make my hammys hurt and work my cardio alot, but that was 80$

I guess in the long run it is worth it though.

5. Intellectual

Intellectual Breathe Life Into a Stone

I've been reading that kettlebells can have long term damaging effects. Anyone recommend any proper training vids?

6. Poindexter

Poindexter Reputation: ∞ Staff Member

What are the benefits of these over regular dumbbells?

7. kc56

kc56 Well-Known Member

Same thing as all other different training aids. Plateau busting. They force you to change grip, range(and arc) of motion, stabilizers, etc...

It's much like guys who change from free weights to machines, or cables, or only body weight, etc... You notice your biggest gains when you change things up. In my eyes, kettle bells offer nothing else than a change of pace.

8. Poindexter

Thanks, mang.

9. kc56

kc56 Well-Known Member

When I used to lift more for size/strength, guys would swear by whatever new technique they picked up. While it was new. Eventually your body adjusts to it, and you will need to plateau bust again.

That is one of the largest benefits of things like p90x, insanity, Crossfit, and all of the other full body "shock" training styles. They are more rewarding, but are much harder to plan. People can't easily read about the routine in a magazine and start doing it. They need to have a constantly evolving plan. That usually requires someone who knows what they are doing and is consistently finding ways to challenge the exerciser. I know Crossfit got some flak on here for being pricey, but I think that's the way to go for those who really want the gains.

10. Poindexter

Good points. Right now I'm so busy with shit that I'm at the low end of the spectrum in terms of getting any exercise. I was thinking about getting some dumbbells for the house just to randomly use. Any other suggestions for something to do in-house?

11. RF76

RF76 beach bum

I just use a weight bench and free weights, nothing fancy. I do 9 sets of 10 on the bench and 20 crunches/10 reverse crunches in between each set. 40 or more reps with the free weights when I'm done. Pretty simple stuff, but effective.

12. Poindexter

No room for a bench here, but some free weights would work.

13. RF76

RF76 beach bum

U in the city?

14. Poindexter

Yeah. In the belly of the beast.

15. Sniggles

Sniggles ex nihilo

Kettlebells, pull-up bar, insanity all worked for me before the arrow to the knee.

Insanity is amazing if you have the knees for it. It will help you get into good enough shape to, where after the program has been done for 2-3 months, it will make your entry into gym training easy.

16. Virtualpurple

Virtualpurple Go Team Venture!

9 sets of 10? How heavy are your loads?

17. TriangleSmoke

TriangleSmoke Motherfucker of the Century Site Donor

https://www.onnit.com/

Promo code "rogan" used to get you 10% off, but I'm not sure if it does anymore. They sell battleropes too, but you need a yard for that.

- - - - - added to post - - - - -

Holy fucking shit those are some expensive ass kettlebells. what a rip off.

18. RF76

RF76 beach bum

Very light, 110lbs. I only want to get toned not bulky.

19. Sniggles

Sniggles ex nihilo

Keith Weber's two DVDs are amazing. Not the end all be all, but certainly a great start.

20. Poindexter

Thanks, I'll check it out.