1. It’s not a thirst for blood, not at all—but an astonishment, an appreciation for the capabilities of a human that bares his soul naked for the art of combat using strictly his body. That’s entertainment. "UFC Fight Night 139: Korean Zombie vs. Rodríguez" Live Discussion *Spoilers*. Prelims begin at 7:00 p.m. ET on Fight Pass.
    Dismiss Notice

Jon Jones vs Alexander Gustafsson II for the UFC LHW Title set for UFC 232

Discussion in 'General MMA Forum' started by Sakara=Excitement, Sep 12, 2018.

1. Sakara=Excitement

Sakara=Excitement Live.Love.Learn Site Donor

Rumor: Jon Jones Vs. Alexander Gustafsson 2 In The Works For UFC Title Fight

2. NotSoDarkAngel

NotSoDarkAngel Well-Known Member

Very interesting development. I have to ask, what does it take for DC to be considered a 2 division champ? The majority of people on this board discount McGregors dual championship reign (myself included) because he didn’t defend his belts. So what does it take to legitimize DCs reign? Does he have to defend both titles or just one?

In my opinion, he needs to defend both to “consummate” his claim to a dual champion. That doesn’t mean he has to successfully defend both necessarily, but he must at least attempt to defend both the LHW and HW. If he drops the LHW for Jones vs Gus II and only defends the HW against Brock, he’s not a dual champ, in my view anyways.

Kevo and 1inthechamber like this.
  3. helipoison

helipoison Well-Known Member

I think most of the board discounts McGregors dual title reign because he never defended EITHER championship. DC has defended the LHW belt 3 times plus the Jones overturning due to PEDs. While I would like to see him defend the LHW belt 1 more time, I am ok giving him his due if he only defends the HW belt 1 more time before it's over.

4. Qball1974

Qball1974 Tower of Song Site Donor

If Jones is back this year I'm done with MMA.

Poindexter and helipoison like this.
  5. CA_Gas Bag

CA_Gas Bag Well-Known Member

He has a history of doing this. Has won multiple titles and never defended a belt in his MMA career.

6. Miz

Miz mortality, ka, and the Tower

You don’t want to see this? Fuck it. I do.

orion_damage, m1ckey kn0x and kc56 like this.
  7. Qball1974

Qball1974 Tower of Song Site Donor

You want Jones to get a free pass for cheating ……. again?

Fuck that.

8. Kano

Kano My New Challenge Site Donor

if DC beats Brock he will have defended both belts.
    Dual Champ, No question in my mind.

9. Palma

Palma I am chaos

It was only cheating because he got caught.

10. AnchorPunch

AnchorPunch Well-Known Member Site Donor

But doesn't everyone do that with Cage Warriors? Get the belt and then use it to get into a larger promotion immediately?

11. m1ckey kn0x

m1ckey kn0x deranged derelict Site Donor

Can’t wait to see him back.

12. NotSoDarkAngel

NotSoDarkAngel Well-Known Member

Fair enough, so as far as you’re concerned he only needs to defend the HW title before retiring to legitimize him claim as a dual champ? That’s fine, I’m honestly just curious what other peoples take is on the situation. To me, he needs to defend both belts to claim he’s a dual champ. My reasoning is that his last fight was to capture the HW title, so if he now defends that and then retires, it’s the same as dropping the LHW belt to pursue the HW. I’d like to see him with the HW title, defend the LHW title, and then defend the HW title. To me, that makes him a true two division champ. I feel that once he’s won both belts, he needs to defend than each once. Win or lose he’d retire as a true dual champ IMO.

I’m not a fan of DC AT ALL, I actually can’t stand the guy, but I won’t discount what he’s been able to do in the sport. Every time I watch him fight I can’t believe he’s been as successful as he’s been. But at the end of the day he’s been able to get the job done.

kc56 and Kano like this.
  13. Sakara=Excitement

Sakara=Excitement Live.Love.Learn Site Donor

Pretty much yes. He was signed after the second title win.

AnchorPunch likes this.
  14. Ramma

Ramma Judo Throws Arouse Me

A guy who cheats repeatedly comes back and gets a #1 contender shot? Only in the UFC...

15. Taste Testing Tannehill’s Fart Box

Taste Testing Tannehill’s Fart Box Ninja

If he drops his LHW belt, IMO he’s not a dual champ. He’s a LHW who moved up to HW and won that belt

16. CA_Gas Bag

CA_Gas Bag Well-Known Member

That's true. And Conor then used the UFC belts to get to a larger promotion in a fight with Mayweather.

orion_damage and AnchorPunch like this.
  17. Kevo

Kevo SMOKE BOMB!

Fixed

Kano, Qball1974 and Poindexter like this.
  18. Poindexter

Poindexter Reputation: ∞ Staff Member

Jones should get the fullest extent of punishment allowed by the regulations. That said, I'd be curious to see how he does against Goose without his Jesus juice.

Dimson and Qball1974 like this.
  19. Kevo

Kevo SMOKE BOMB!

And Machida was suspended for how long because the damn USDA website wasn't updated?

Yeah that seems fair.

But anybody who is surprised by this you have been paying attention

AnchorPunch likes this.
  20. helipoison

helipoison Well-Known Member

I'm not saying your wrong by any means and quite contrarily I agree with most of what you have said. I am giving DC a pass on this because neither GSP nor McGregor defended one or more of their titles. DC has 3 defenses on the LHW title currently, and if he beats Brock he's defended the Heavyweight Belt. Most people agree you're not the champ until you've defended the belt. There is always going to be a star after the first dual champion until someone beats then defends at both weights and even then the nut huggers will come out and say well this person blah blah blah. For me, with a Brock win, DC is the only person to defend both belts albiet he has not defended the LHW belt since winning the heavyweight belt. In a perfect world yes he should defend at LHW to cement the legacy as the sports' first dual champ.

Same could be said after winning title eliminators while missing weight.... Only in the UFC

Ramma likes this.