Joanna Jedrzejczyk vs. Valentina Shevchenko FW title fight rebooked booked for UFC 231

Discussion in 'General MMA Forum' started by Sakara=Excitement, Sep 21, 2018.

1. Kano

Kano My New Challenge Site Donor

More than that. Maybe the future of all of mankind

2. Cat--Smasher

Cat--Smasher Putting the stamp on kids Staff Member

3. Poindexter

Poindexter Reputation: ∞ Staff Member

Kano likes this.
  4. Cat--Smasher

Valentina Shevchenko lets Joanna Jedrzejczyk know that flyweight is her ‘territory’

5. Cat--Smasher

--- Post Added -- Dec 2, 2018, ---

6. thumper

thumper all around great guy Staff Member

Anyone notice in the promo on tv they during one commercial it didn't say Shevchenko vs jedrzejczyk, instead it said Shevchenko vs Joanna

they did it here too

ufc_231.jpg

Those are two fucked up names in English

7. NotSoDarkAngel

NotSoDarkAngel Well-Known Member

Meh. When was the last time they called Shogun Mauricio? The UFC likes to “Americanize” things to make them more marketable to their key demographic.

8. Fedorlei Gomipierre

Fedorlei Gomipierre The IQ Poster Site Donor

I'd REALLY appreciate if anybody could break this fight down and explain to be me how it being held at 125 impacts this fight. As a semi-pseudo-successful minor gambler and somebody who might be going to this card, I'm seeing these Shevchenko fave odds and am curious as to how this fight looks to be breaking down and how people see it unfolding.

I'm a big Invicta fan and usually have a great handle on WMMA, but my eyes seemingly always gloss over during Shevchenko bouts and I'd like to be more informed on this fight.

Much appreciated in advance, thanks.

9. NotSoDarkAngel

NotSoDarkAngel Well-Known Member

My personal expectations on how I think this fight will go down is this...

Bullet and JJ are both very solid Muay Thai fighters and former multiple time champions. They have fought each other in MT tournaments 3 times, with Bullet winning every time.

To have any success in MT (or any striking art) timing and range are extremely important. Usually this takes a few minutes to find once the fight begins, but having fought each other numerous times, they’re both pretty familiar with each other, so there probably won’t be much of a feeling out process.

JJ is usually pretty hittable early in the fight, she tends to need to eat a few shots to get herself going. I think Bullet will capitalize on this.

Being relaxed and loose in a fight is very important in order to have success, especially with striking. Strikes fly faster and hit harder if you’re not holding tension and nervous energy in your muscles. Bullet should come in relaxed and full of confidence because of their history.

Lastly, ever since Rose KOd JJ she hasn’t been committing to her punches as much, she’s nervous about getting hit. You can see subtle movements at the end of her combos where’s she’s trying to get out of the pocket before she even throws/lands her last shot.

I’m certainly not counting JJ out, she has all the tools to win if she’s focused the way she needs to be, but I think Bullet has a slight edge in the striking, she’s naturally a bit bigger, and she’s coming in with a ton of confidence.

I’m predicting Bullet to jump out to an early lead and prevent JJ from ever finding her rhythm.

10. Poindexter

11. VimyRidge

VimyRidge Well-Known Member

= Rory Macdonald vs Gegard Mousasi part 2...…

12. thumper

thumper all around great guy Staff Member

I also think losing back to back against rose while JJ was feeling invincible and getting really cocky has shaken her confidence big time. Not only was she beat clean, it happened twice in the same discipline she excels at and clearly thought she'd win.

I think that's going to really affect her and make this even harder. I also think if she loses it could really make a difference in her future. I'm guessing this isn't who she wanted to face after losing to rose twice.

13. Poindexter

Shevchenko is the bigger stronger fighter. Her striking technique is as good or better than Jedrzejczyk (Yen-jay-chick). Her grappling is better. I see Jedrzejczyk (Yen-jay-chick) getting finished. Which sucks. I like both.