Israeli company NSO Group suspected of hacking WhatsApp

Discussion in 'Politics and Religion' started by Ct_L33T, May 14, 2019.

1. Ct_L33T

Ct_L33T Well-Known Member

https://www.timesofisrael.com/israeli-company-nso-group-suspected-of-hacking-whatsapp/

2. Poindexter

Poindexter Reputation: ∞ Staff Member

(Fuck Israel.)

3. SickNasty

SickNasty Now that's a tasty burger.

I don't know fuckall about Israel.

Like, I know that it's a country.

I know Israel and Palestine are not on birthday card terms.

I also know that our politicians are always screaming about unyielding support for Israel.

Other than that, I really need to Wikipedia that shit.

Poindexter likes this.
  4. chrisc

chrisc Ninja

That seems a little much over a security company

5. Ct_L33T

This is a major data breach. As Americans, you may not realize the implications of this, but for millions living overseas Whatsapp is the #1 mobile communication platform. This is due to their heavy marketing and infrastructure building in 2nd & 3rd world nation's.

What should concern you, is that Whatsapp is owned by Facebook, and there are public plans of merging messaging for all 3 of their services (Facebook, WhatsApp, and Instagram). This is essentially a hacking of Facebook.

Strangely enough, or perhaps not strange at all, most media outlets didn't bother explaining that the company behind the hacking is Israeli, and this hack was conducted with political intent. I think it's a disservice to classify NSO as just a security company.

Last edited: May 15, 2019
    Kano and Poindexter like this.
  6. Miz

Miz mortality, ka, and the Tower

The BBC said yesterday that it was not Israel. Or at least that’s what I took from their broadcast on NPR.

7. Ct_L33T

Did they said the group is not Israeli or that the group was not "backed" by the Israeli government?

8. Miz

I thought they said it was a private company and the “litigants (they didn’t say that I’m using that and my word usage might be wrong. I’m having an off week. I mean people affected)” are bringing the complaint to Israeli court. This is what I thought they said but I listen while driving and have a baby in my truck, so there is a very real chance I’m not correct in my assumptions.

9. Ct_L33T

I fully expect the Israeli government to maintain plausible deniability, but the groups actions have aligned with the Israeli government's interests. Likewise, the group was founded by individuals with government ties.

Similar to how blackwater and the American government have ties (ex navy seals, etc). It's all shadowy as fuck, straight out of a Jason Borne movie.

10. chrisc

chrisc Ninja

If they’re not a security company, what are they? And it’s not a hacking of Facebook. Public plans to merge the two in the future don’t equate to being merged currently
    --- Post Added -- May 15, 2019, ---
    If we’re ready to condemn Israel and say fuck Israel because an Israeli security company is hacking, I hope you’re ready to condemn and say fuck every major country

11. Miz

From what I take the company didn’t hack them. Someone they sold the software to hacked them. Is that correct?

12. chrisc

chrisc Ninja

And the media not mentioning it’s isreal, that must be outside the US. Every news article I’ve read here mentioned NSO is Israeli
    --- Post Added -- May 15, 2019, ---
    I’ve only read article mentioning this. That the spyware was just developed by them and sold to “authorized” agencies

13. Ct_L33T

The fact that Facebook owns WhatsApp and has public plans to merge messaging services means that years of R&D was conducted prior to their announcement. That includes developer meetings and security protocol review. It's not a literal hacking of Facebook, but it's close enough to be interpreted as such. WhatsApp is no small entity.

Last edited: May 15, 2019
    Kano likes this.
  14. chrisc

chrisc Ninja

We’ll just have to completely disagree with then

15. Miz

Not if we disagree first.

16. chrisc

chrisc Ninja

But I disagree we disagreed first

Miz likes this.
  17. Poindexter

Poindexter Reputation: ∞ Staff Member

I just meant in general. Not something you can say publicly with impunity, so I hid it in parentheses. In fact, I better delete it.

18. chrisc

chrisc Ninja

They’ll hack you next

Poindexter likes this.
  19. Kevo

Kevo SMOKE BOMB!

It's too late you can't take it back you antisemitic communist

Poindexter likes this.
  20. chrisc

chrisc Ninja

Anti Semitic is one thing, but you called the man a communist? Damn that’s harsh

Poindexter likes this.