interesting tidbit about carl weathers in Rocky Balboa

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by thumper, Jan 29, 2015.

1. thumper

thumper all around great guy Staff Member

So obviously apollo creed died in Rocky IV. Stallone asked for permission from Mr T, Carl Weathers and Dolf Lundgren if he could use footage from the previous films in Rocky Balboa. Mr T and Dolf agreed, but carl demanded to get a part in the movie. Strange since he fucking died in an earlier one. Sly said no and becasue of that carl refused to let them use footage from him in the first movies. So they used a stand in that looked like Carl.

Kind of shocked me. I always thought carl was a really cool dude, and I certainly think he's a great actor, but man what an ego...

I also forget that Carl was a pro football player back in the day, and play two seasons (but only 7 games) for the raiders then went to the CFL

Interesting shit about the Rocky movie though, iv'e seen a lot of interviews with carl because I am a fan and I never once heard him say a negative thing about stallone. but that seems like a shitty thing to do, and honestly I'm glad stallone told him to pack sand, although the movie was an embarrassment to the series I thought and just a money grab. but still

2. Hassquatch

Hassquatch Slayer

I remember people shitting on Rocky V too. V and Balboa may not have been as epic as the first two but they're great movies and do justice to the catalog. Icing on the cake for any fan of the Rocky catalog really.

Is that the same type of thinking as when any band that's more than 10 yrs old releases a new album everyone automatically deems it shitty the second it comes out (probably without even listening to it more than a half try)?

I am a little surprised about that from Weathers. There was no money to be made, it's not like T and Dolph got paid and Weathers wasn't going to. Should have let them use it for the damn legacy Carl.

And so there's a Rocky 7 coming out? I heard it'll revolve around Rocky training some young buck. Any truth to this?

Last edited: Jan 29, 2015
  3. thumper

thumper all around great guy Staff Member

not for me. i didn't relly complain about any of them until that last one. but the last three were completely unnecessary and i'd bet were beyond the scope of 2what he originally had planned. Though that's purely a guess.

4 was clubber lang and 5 was dolf. I think 4 was probably the last original planned, or maybe even 3. but whatever the case, i liked them all except the Rocky Balboa one

shit there was even talk of a spin off about apollo creed a couple years ago., dont know what happened to it.

4. Hassquatch

Hassquatch Slayer

I don't think any actor can portray a young Apollo properly...other than a young Carl Weathers. Unless the movie was going to be about Apollo boxing with Jesus in Heaven.

Not sure what you meant in your second paragraph. Rocky III was with Clubber Lang and Mick dying. IV was with Dolph in Russia and Apollo dying. V with Tommy Gunn. Or were you ranking them in order of what you liked best?

5. Dimson

Dimson Your tears don't fall...

I hated Rocky V. Maybe the spin off can be Apollo and Tommy Gunn fighting in heaven?

6. Bran

Bran The wolf dead.

you got your numbers mixed up. Clubber Lang was Rocky III and Dolph/Ivan Drago was Rocky IV. Rocky V was the worst, with Tommy Gunn.

7. JonesMadeDCcry

JonesMadeDCcry SMOKE BOMB!

Rocky (HI)V

8. Dimson

He didn't have HIV. Remember, he was cured.

9. Poindexter

Poindexter Reputation: ∞ Staff Member

Here's a jimmy joke about your momma that you might not like, I heard she was a 'Frisco dyke.

10. split2874

split2874 Moving Forward

new Rocky movie is Creed

A story that finds Rocky Balboa acting as a trainer and mentor to the grandson of his fellow boxing alumni, Apollo Creed.

11. Dimson

Seriously???

12. Miz

Miz mortality, ka, and the Tower

Apollo creed was a sucka Charlie Mack could beat drago. A Google interwbz reps to who knows that line.

I'm a rocky mark. I'll watch and like any of them.

13. disposableassassin

disposableassassin PHASE 3 Site Donor

Google has informed me that it was a DJ Jazzy Jeff song.

MIZjitzZOU likes this.
  14. ATJ-Lucko

ATJ-Lucko MMAtheist Survival Pool Champion

yeah normally when u see an actor who starts doing lots of movies then suddenly he is nowhere to be found it's because they got a big ego and nobody wants to deal with their bullshit.

15. FrankieButNotEdgar

FrankieButNotEdgar Well-Known Member Site Donor

I've heard that you never want to meet someone that you really look up to or are a fan of because they'll let you down.

When I was a teenager, I went to a shitload of concerts and met a shitload of bands. I was a HUGE fan of Static-X and met Wayne Static. When I met him, he came across as a real douche. He would sign autographs but wouldn't actually speak to anyone. His manager just kept screaming at people, "he's only going to sign one item per person." I had actually met him earlier that day before the show and even then, with no other people around, he didn't have much to say and seemed bothered that anyone wanted to speak to him.

And Rob Zombie let me down worse than that. Anyone that knows me here knows I'm a huge Rob Zombie fan. I saw him in concert a bunch and never did meet him. After one show, there were about 50 people standing outside the tour bus, which is pretty common post show stuff. His manager kept coming off the bus saying, "he'll be out in 15 minutes, just give him 15 minutes." This went on for over two hours, in January and it was below freezing. People are standing out there waiting and he keeps saying, "15 minutes, 15 minutes." After this going on for two hours, his manager said, "he decided he's not signing tonight."

And ICP was the worst. We were leaving anyway, but they had a bunch of people standing waiting for them, and they walked through the crowd without saying shit to anyone, jumped in a car, and drove off. People were just like, "WTF!"

16. ATJ-Lucko

ATJ-Lucko MMAtheist Survival Pool Champion

you are a Juggalo??

17. FrankieButNotEdgar

FrankieButNotEdgar Well-Known Member Site Donor

Never a juggalo. I've never been into anything to the point where I would paint my face and act like a fucking moron like ICP fans do. I always said, the worst thing about being an ICP fan is being around other ICP fans. They're 98 percent fucking morons. But to be fair, it's the same thing at metal shows too. But during their run from Riddlebox to The Amazing Jeckel Brothers, I was a fan.

18. Trodden

Trodden Aggretsuko is my power animal

great milenko was all I could stand

the Neden Game was pretty funny

19. sourdough

sourdough Sourdough Site Donor

According to the simpsons Rocky II + Rocky V = Rocky VII. It is obviously going to be a mashup of rocky 2 and 5.

- - - - - added to post - - - - -

Homies is an awesome song.

Trodden likes this.
  20. Rise

Rise Well-Known Member

I'm sure I'm in the minority but I never understood why people thought entertainers owed them things like autographs. Sure you pay good money to see them in concert or in the movies etc but that's what you are paying them for to see them perform. Not to sign a piece of paper afterwards.

Personally if I were famous I'd get sick of every one bugging me all the time when I'm not actually working.

sourdough likes this.