I Really Hate Religion Sometimes

Discussion in 'Politics and Religion' started by Clint, Jan 20, 2010.

1. Clint

Clint Administrator Staff Member

http://gawker.com/5451086/john-travolta-to-airlift-desperately-needed-e+meters-to-people-of-haiti

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/01/19/2796032.htm

2. Ninjastix

Ninjastix Damn Gina Site Donor

There's a lot of opportunity in disaster, desperate people will believe just about anything people with food and water spew at them.

Ultimately I wouldn't worry about it Clint, all it takes is one asteroid for it all to go away for good. Until that time, it's whatever lie you have to tell yourself to get you through the day.

3. unforgivn

unforgivn Nunquam Fidelis

What did you expect? A traumatized and emotionally weak person is the easiest target for conversion. The fact that this doesn't tell the evangelist something very important about his or her own beliefs is another issue entirely.

On a side note, why didn't Tom Cruise fly down to Haiti to use his magical OT Yoda powers to save people from the rubble?

4. Surfrock66

Surfrock66 The Tirade Masta

The intersection between the Haiti tragedy and religion to me is a study in altruism.

Why do people do "good" things? Is it to promote an agenda, is it because they want to do good for religious reasons, is it because they just want to do good, is it because they want to be seen doing something good to improve some sense of reputation?

The reason I mention this is that everyone is all like "Look what I did for Haiti" and "Look at what I'm doing for Haiti." It's all over twitter, facebook, everyone's website, etc. And there's people having conversations like "Madonna only donated $250,000 and Sandra Bullock donated a million." Everyone does anything for an agenda.

I am totally motivated by reputation and ego, if I donated and posted it to Facebook or Twitter, I'd completely have the thought "people are gonna think I'm so generous." We've heard so much about it and who is doing what and all this, I kind of lump it all together. Let me explain.

Sandra Bullock gives $1,000,000 and we hear about it in the press less than a day later, and everyone thinks she's so generous. Mind you, as a movie star, her intended audience is everyone. A church sends bibles or missionaries or something, and their intended audience probably overwhelmingly thinks they're doing excellent work spreading the good word.

I see a thing like this, and EVERYONE is putting on a show to let everyone else see how much good they're doing. I'm not like Rush or anything saying don't give, but I'm just tired of having to see everyone pat themselves on the back for doing stuff.

Whether it's holding the door open for someone, going out of your way to give someone a ride, giving $10 to Haiti via SMS, flying there to save a child from flying concrete, I just feel that telling everyone when you did something heroic cheapens the deed. EVERYONE has an agenda, and it makes me feel like altruism is dead and we only help people when we can do it on TV.

I kind of went on a tangent, but I hear this about Scientology and I'm just like "Duh. Everyone has an agenda, we know theirs, if it's not them it's someone else with a different agenda." It's disheartening.

The only altruist I ever encountered died, and it's the only person in my life I've ever actually mourned for.

5. Harlem Hustler

Harlem Hustler Dont argue, I'm always right!

I don't think everyone has an agenda knowingly. generally people who believe in a religion actually think they're giving the truth to people. I dont doubt for a sec that religious people are helping for the sake of helping and not for the soul purpose of furthering their religion. It just so happens that they are promoting at the same time becuase they believe what they believe is the truth.

At least they're helping.

6. unforgivn

I say let them proclaim all they want. It just makes the secular aid workers who can hand out food without giving a sermon look that much better.

7. TheDW

TheDW New Member

I have a new level of respect for you after that post Surfrock!

8. ATJ-Lucko

ATJ-Lucko MMAtheist Survival Pool Champion

I see what your are saying, like one time I was watching WWE and they were at this Hospital for sick kids and telling how much they gave, so did they give because they care about sick kids or for them to look good? Probably both, but does it matter some money is better than no money.

The thing with Sandra Bullock is she probably would have given the money anonymously but there is an advantage is coming out and saying I give 1 million, it so other celebrities say "well if Sandra can do a million i'll do 2 million" It becomes a pissing contest which if you think about it isn't that bad. Ever see a celebrity auction for charity? They will just out bid each other just for the sake of it.

9. JeterLover27

JeterLover27 Well-Known Member

wHY hate it sometimes?? Hate it all the time

If you love someone, love them with all your soul. When you go to work, work your ass off. When you hate someone or something, hate them until it hurts ...

10. Ninjastix

I carve this philosophy into the skin of my victims.

11. Poindexter

Poindexter Reputation: ∞ Staff Member

I fear the Scientologists.

[​IMG]

12. Poindexter

Poindexter Reputation: ∞ Staff Member

13. NoDak Crusader

NoDak Crusader High Plains Drifter

THAT IS FUCKING CRAZY SHIT!!

14. Ninjastix

It's no different than any other religion, ancient or modern.

Noah's Ark or transcendental meditation are equally as silly.

15. unforgivn

Yeah, unlike the idea that all suffering and death in the world was caused when a rib-woman was convinced to eat an apple by a talking snake, which is totally reasonable.

16. Ninjastix

72 virgins is all I have to say to it.

It's heaven no?

You gave up life in the battle so that other generations might have... ok you got me I have no idea what the logical goals for martyrdom are but still...

It's eternity no?

but 72.

You're sure it's 72? And not infinite virgins? Considering it's forever. And reasonably speaking a man could go through 72 virgins, if he had a tempered appetite, in just 72 Earth days.

17. unforgivn

I never understood why you would want an eternity of debauchery to be with virgins anyway. What good is a reward of eternal sex if all the partners you're given are terrible at it?

18. Bran

Bran The wolf dead.

i think the appeal is you have 72 virgins to start from scratch. you can mold them into the ideal sex slaves and while the first few years of paradise might be awkward and filled with tears, you've got til forever once their trained.

19. unforgivn

Actually, I'm pretty sure that the "official" doctrine on that states that the girls are virgins forever. Whether that means the girls are replaced once you deflower them or they're magically revirginated (I want to be credited when that word makes it into Webster's) every night has never been explained.

20. ATJ-Lucko

ATJ-Lucko MMAtheist Survival Pool Champion

filled with tears and blood, give me 72 whores that's my heaven, why would anyone want 72 girls who you have to talk into having anal sex or beg them into tonguing your ass, sucking your cock, receiving a facial or swallowing?.

It all steams from the fact that the vagina is deemed dirty and disgusting and menstruation is horrible.

I posted this article about Afghan men who never heard what a womens period is when told they were out right disgusted, but these same men keep young boys as sex toys, and have them dress up like women.
    Muslims are so ignorant about sex and how the world works.