Hunting and Fishing Thread

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Miz, Nov 12, 2014.

1. Dimson

Dimson Your tears don't fall...

He is no troll. I promise. He might mess with you ever now and again though, lol.

TriangleSmoke likes this.
  2. dan the man

dan the man Gina Carano's personal sex slave

He's certainly behaving like one.

3. Trodden

Trodden Aggretsuko is my power animal

putting feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken

4. lordpyro

lordpyro Member

There was a documentary on the History Channel called "Life After People" where they talked about how long modern man made structures would last. They wouldn't be completely gone after 100 years, but the building material would begin breaking down, and most the buildings would fall. Of course, there are environmental factors as well.

You can't compare modern structures to ancient structures like the pyramids. Pre modern structures used different materials and building methods.

Something like a Pyramid or a Medieval castle is made of stone. Stone is long wearing, and in the right climate will last almost forever. In addition, because the bottom of the structure has to carry the weight of the top, the bottom is much thicker that the top. A typical castle wall would be 10'+ thick at the bottom.

A skyscraper on the other hand, is made of concrete and steel. Concrete has an average life expectancy of > 100 years, the steel framing of skyscraper has about the same.

Once the windows break and the building is opened to the elements, steel is going to start to rust. The steel rusts, the building begins to sag and the concrete breaks.

Building Material Life Expectancy

Here's a clip from the show where they talk about some specific buildings. It doesn't go into the life span of the materials much compared to the show over all.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Y8aLKHShv9o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited: Dec 19, 2014
    Trodden likes this.
  5. Trodden

Trodden Aggretsuko is my power animal

[​IMG]

6. TriangleSmoke

TriangleSmoke Motherfucker of the Century Site Donor

It is abundantly clear to everyone what he's debating, and it's abundantly clear to everyone other than you and him that I'm fucking with him.

7. Qball1974

Qball1974 Tower of Song Site Donor

I see, you played that well then.

8. Miz

Miz mortality, ka, and the Tower

Had one of the coolest most terrifying experiences that I have ever experienced today in the woods. I went muzzloader deer hunting this morning on my neighbor's property. I was sitting behind a tree, in front of, whatever. I hear this hoot owl going crazy in the distance behind me. He is hooting but it isn't the typical hoot, hoot hoot, hoot hoot. Its more of a ha ha ha haaaa. I don't know if it is some mating call or what not. I have heard it before, but have never really thought much about it. Any ways I hear two things collide behind me and I look and I see one owl tackle the other about ten yards back and to my left. Next thing that happens left me with the home alone "aweeeee" face. The owl that got tackled (possibly female maybe they were going to mate) flies directly at me. Now it doesn't see me, but it flies with in two feet of my face. I couldn't turn away. I couldn't close my eyes. They just got real huge (my eyes) and my mouth opened wide. It was with in two feet of me. It was one of the coolest things I have ever seen. Left me in awe for about two minutes. I heard them go at it again about 100 yards away from me.

Didn't see a single deer today, but I saw that, and that was worth it.

It was huge and could have ripped my face off.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2014
    sourdough and Poindexter like this.
  9. sourdough

sourdough Sourdough Site Donor

Owls are sweet. I still haven't seen one that wasn't in captivity

MIZjitzZOU likes this.
  10. Miz

View attachment 3054

Got to hunt rabbits over some beagles last weekend. It was a blast. If you like to hunt and you ever get the chance then do it.
    --- Post Added -- Aug 15, 2015, ---
    Anyone gearing up for hunting season? I'm planting a food plot right now on my property. I just got 11 acres (my dad has a lot up north of me where I do the majority of my hunting) and I am trying to draw some deer off my neighbors 40 acres of woods. that is next to mine. This is the first time that I've done a food plot. Hopefully it will help during bow season.

Dove season starts in about two weeks.

I am also excited to get my two English Setters out. They will also be a year old and ready to go.

@Poindexter could you take the nsfantihunters out of the title. I put that on their b/c I thought it would protect someone from seeing a dead animal if we posted pics but that is probably already implied in hunting thread and I think it brought a different feel to what I intended the thread to have. Could you change it to hunting and fishing thread. No big deal if you can't. Thanks.

11. Poindexter

Poindexter Reputation: ∞ Staff Member

Go to your first post and click on "thread tools" and you should be able to edit the title. If that option isn't there, let me know.

MIZjitzZOU likes this.
  12. Miz

That was easy.

Poindexter likes this.
  13. SandyWH

SandyWH CHAOS KREATOR

14. jokerthief

jokerthief No reason to get excited. Site Donor

I tried to click the button. I thought that just maybe something would happen. After all, Sandy posted it. You never know with that guy.

Poindexter likes this.
  15. Miz

I’m ready for fall and deer season. Finally bought a crossbow. You can use one here in Missouri during archery season. A few years ago they made it to where you could use a crossbow instead of just a bow. At first I didn’t want one because bow hunting takes more skill. Then I shot my buddies cross bow and decided to hell with that. I got one and it is awesome. Just like a gun to about 40 yards. You could shoot more but that would be pushing it IMO.

The real reason I’m posting is that I’m so pumped about my new hunting coveralls. I love this pair of cammo coveralls that I have been wearing for about the last 15 years. They are horrible looking and ripped and blood stained but damn are they comfy. Well today I got a new pair and man am I pumped. Water proof. Thermowear. 33 % off at bass pro and I had a gift card! I feel like Cousin Eddy. Real nice Clarke.

Happy hunting season everyone!

TriangleSmoke, Kano and Qball1974 like this.
  16. Qball1974

Qball1974 Tower of Song Site Donor

Happy hunting.

[​IMG]

Miz likes this.
  17. TriangleSmoke

TriangleSmoke Motherfucker of the Century Site Donor

Where are you hunting? I havent had to wear coveralls once in the last 3 yrs, just my heavy Advantage jacket at the most.

18. Miz

I hunt in mid and west/north of KC Missouri. In October I’ll need them in the morning and in November it gets colder. In December during muzzleloader season it can get real cold. I like them because you can unzip them in the front and legs if you want to let a breeze in. I’ll also just wear a T-shirt and light sweats underneath. The only thing I really can’t stand to get cold is my feet and hands.

You are in northern Florida right? Do you bow hunt? Can you guys use a crossbow?

Located a good spot to put my climber on my neighbors property.

19. Neganomics

Neganomics Your Trusted Web M.Deezy

I didn’t get to do as much fishing this year as I wanted to. Only got out a couple of times and the times I did go it was at my wife’s uncle’s quarry which has basically nothing but really small largemouths in it. Largemouths are probably my least favorite of the North American game fish.

I’m starting my internal medicine rotation tomorrow unfortunately. I’ll be working right at the 80 hour per week cap that we aren’t supposed to go over so I can’t imagine I’ll have much time to fish in October either. Kind of bums me out. Fall has always been my favorite season to fish. Both because the lakes are absolutely gorgeous with all of the leaves turning to those autumn hues, and because the white bass and crappie bite is still hot, and walleyes start picking up too. Every time we go out in the fall it seems like we come back with such a crazy mixed bag.

Once I’m a practicing physician (i.e. done with residency), I’m going to definitely get back into it in a deep-dive kind of way.

Poindexter and Miz like this.
  20. Miz

I didn’t fish once this year except I bow fished for the first time. It was rediculously easy and rediculously fun. I bought a license, like I always do, and intended to fish but it just didn’t happen. Maybe I could go a few nights with the kids. My neighbor has a small lake and we could just catch some blue gill and sun fish. Kids love that. I focus on hunting in the fall.

I like to catfish fish. No work. Just wait and chill.