Hunting and Fishing Thread

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Miz, Nov 12, 2014.

1. Miz

Miz mortality, ka, and the Tower

Any fellow hunters on the forum? I couldn't find a thread, so I thought I would make one. Non-hunters beware that their could be pics of animals. Feel free to tell me what a bad person I am.

Anyways I am pretty psyched for hunting season. Last year was a shitty hunting year for me. Bird dog died, nervous breakdown from work, and having to quit drinking took away a lot of my drive to hunt. I did hunt a little, but it was probably the least amount of time in the woods, since I was 12 or so.

This year I am psyched to get back out there. Sitting in the woods is a major part of me. I am from a small town and my family has owned the same land since the 1860's. It has been a big part of my life since I was young. This year I have two new bird dog pups that I will be training. Gun, archery, muzzloading deer seasons. Squirrel and rabbit hunting. So I hope to get a lot this winter.

Anyways, deer gun season starts Saturday. My dad owns 500+ acres and I got a house on 11. The other day I was putting a stand up on my property when this guy came out from underneath the side of a rocky hill.

View attachment 2755

He was about ten yards away and gave two fucks about me. My first thought was where are my pups. Luckily they were nowhere to be found. I then whistled at him. He non chalantly looked at me and kept doing was he was doing. I then climbed down to get a close picture. Not sure how close you have to be to get sprayed but I was close. He ended up just going on his way. I feel like I could have went down and gave him a tummy rub.

I am glad that hunting is back for me. The older I get the less feel that I have to kill and the more I just enjoy sitting in the woods.

Anyways since this is my home now I wanted to see if there was any other hunters here? Feel free to post pics, talk, or I guess tell me how wrong I am. Public forum do what you want. I probably won't argue to much b/c my POV is probably to different from the anti-hunter.

Bring on the winter.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2014
  2. sourdough

sourdough Sourdough Site Donor

I don't hunt. It's not that I have anything against it I am just a pussy and wouldn't be able to bring myself to pull the trigger.

3. TriangleSmoke

TriangleSmoke Motherfucker of the Century Site Donor

Killed this piece of shit for fucking with my fawns. I look forward to weeding out as many of these savages as possible
    [​IMG]

Where I shot the coyote:
    [​IMG]

In my climber. I love sitting up here and smoking bowls while waiting for a monster buck to cross when he's chasing some does. Unfortunately I haven't gotten the buck yet. We're a buck management property, so I can't shoot any bucks with less than 4 points on each side:
    [​IMG]

I needed some meat in the freezer, so I took this one out of my climber from the pic above this one:
    [​IMG]

The Sundance Kid and MIZjitzZOU like this.
  4. Neganomics

Neganomics Your Trusted Web M.Deezy

I'm not a hunter myself, but I admire hunters anyway. The ones who truly love it, not the ones who do it as a fashion statement (I'm from central Illinois, and being a "redneck" is kind of the big fad). My grandpa was a pheasant hunter in his younger years. Pheasants all but disappeared from central IL for a long time, but from what I hear they are making a comeback.

I'll probably end up having to learn to hunt someday, just because I like deer meat so much. That's probably all I would go for though. I have resisted this for a long time because I can usually trade some fish fillets for deer meat with friends and family members, but eventually it would be nice to be able to provide my own supply. Plus I hate the cold, which is an admittedly odd statement for a diehard crappie fisherman. The water still has to be liquid for me to fish though. I will never be an ice fisherman. We should amend this thread to include fishermen.

Now from the perspective of me as a scientist, I would highly advise against getting that close to a skunk, especially if he seems alright with you doing so. Not because of their spray, but because they are literally the single largest animal carrier of rabies in the United States. People most often get it from bats, but that's because they avoid skunks because of their smell, and bats usually infect sleeping campers. But a skunk will bite you if it's rabid, and trust me rabies is the single worst disease you can get as a human being. It makes ebola look like child's play, and I say that because rabies has a 100% death rate in DEVELOPED nations. Only two people have ever "survived" it, and they were put into medically induced comas and came out on the other side with severe brain damage and loss of cognitive and motor functions.

Not trying to scare, just maybe caution you a bit.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2014
  5. sourdough

Ice fishing is great with the right shelter and right people. I usually go a couple time a year and just get drunk and play poker out on the lake.

6. Miz

I am glad you guys saw the thread. It most definitely can be amended to include fishing. Hell it could be outdoors shit as well. I also hunt antler sheds and mushrooms. Where I live, triangle, you can't shoot a buck that doesn't have 4 points on one side.

Saturday is the day for me. Can't wait. Nothing like opening day deer season. Going to stay at our cabin. Hopefully I will have a good pick come Sunday.

Nate, I am a big pheasant and quail hunter. Missouri pimps 20 places for quail habitat. To start deer hunting you just need a weapon. I think in Illinois you have to use a shotgun with slugs.

- - - - - added to post - - - - -

Oh and thanks for the info about the skunks. Would it be acting irradic if it was rabid? This guy was just chillin.

7. The Sundance Kid

The Sundance Kid Outlaw Staff Member

I grew up hunting, and now doing my best to get back into it.

I would love to put a deer in the freezer this year.

8. Neganomics

Neganomics Your Trusted Web M.Deezy

Not necessarily. There is an aggressive and a non-aggressive phase of infection.

"Types of Rabies

There are two ways in which rabies can present. Either the skunk will become aggressive, called the “furious” form of rabies, or he’ll display a complete lack of fear of humans or other animals called the “dumb” form. Furious rabies, where a skunk grows aggressive and foams at the mouth is the most recognized form of the disease and the most likely to lead to a disease-spreading bite. If a skunk wanders into your yard and seems totally fearless of your presence and wanders around disoriented, he may have the “dumb” form. Healthy skunks will typically run away from people or pets, shooting off a dose of foul-smelling spray to keep them away."

Found here:

http://animals.pawnation.com/rabies-skunks-2796.html

Based on the description you gave of his behavior, I would steer clear of him and try to keep the new pups away too.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2014
  9. TriangleSmoke

Its not against the law to shoot a buck with less than 4 points on each side. Its just our policy at our club. We have food plots all over and want to make sure the bucks get built up into monsters. It takes a lot of work, but its worth it. We have trophy bucks out there. Ive seen 2 in the last 3 weekend, but they were to far away for me to get a good shot. I figured id hold off and wait for them to come back because theyre frequenting that spot. I see fresh scratches in the trees from antlers, so its a good spot for me to go back to.

10. Miz

Wow! That mother fucker may have had rabies. He had no fear.

Triangle- I was saying where I live we can't legally shoot a buck unless it has four points on one side.

11. TriangleSmoke

ah i gotcha. where are you at?

12. Miz

I live in Columbia mo, but hunt north of Columbia. Where u at?

It is supposed to snow Saturday which will be cool. Cold should make them move more. Another good thing is the full moon already passed. Probably won't chase does all night since there will be less light.

Triangle- what do you plant for your food plots? I have never done food plots but might try them next year.

13. TriangleSmoke

I'm in north florida, but I hunt in south and central ga.

Sugar beets, turnips, and wheat mixed with oats, clover rape. Deer love that shit man. It's a fuckload of work when it's hot as balls, but it pays off.

14. TriangleSmoke

anyone have any luck over the past few days?

15. JeterLover27

JeterLover27 Well-Known Member

I can't bring myself to hunt a fucking animal, but I'm not agaibst people hunting, I just can't do it.

I'll eat the shit out of venison or anything else though lol

ATJ-Lucko likes this.
  16. TriangleSmoke

lol i hear you. What is it about hunting that unsettles you? Do you just not have it in you to kill bambie?

17. JeterLover27

I do not like hurting animals at all man, I can't do it. Like I said nothing against anyone who does as I have a bunch of friends that do. Just not me, I want to save every animal I can lol. Shit man I'll get out of the car to move a frog across the street. That's just how I operate.

TriangleSmoke likes this.
  18. TriangleSmoke

I hear you. I don't fault you or anyone for feeling that way. That just means more deer for me lol.

But seriously you know that hunting in some areas is actually a necessity for population control of game, right?

19. JeterLover27

Yup, I'm aware, you just won't see me doing it lol.

20. sourdough

I feel the exact same way. I actually encourage other people to hunt but I wouldn't be able to pull the trigger, on most animals atleast. I have no problems slaying fish or grouse hunting.