1. It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who are willing to endure pain with patience. Discuss: "UFC 220: Miocic vs. Ngannou" Live Discussion *Spoilers*. Prelims begin at 7:00 p.m. ET on Fight Pass.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We've created a backup site in case the forum experiences any technical difficulties. Please bookmark the following addresses: www.reddit.com/r/MMASPOT/ and/or www.nm.reddit.com/r/MMASPOT/. All urgent announcements will be posted there in the event that the main site goes down. Thank you.
    Dismiss Notice

How Would You Fix MMA?

Discussion in 'MMA University' started by ILJO, Mar 19, 2015.

?

Does MMA need to change?

1. Everything's fine, stop whining.

27.6%
  2. This shit is broken, yo! (explain)

72.4%
  1. thumper

thumper all around great guy Staff Member

A lot of this is exactly how i've been saying i think it should be for awhile.

That's why i wish the Ali Act would get brought in to MMA.

The UFC is big enough now it could survive the transition.

But the key things here are an outside agency that is not connected financially in any way to the orgs themselves. I think having it answer to congress sounds shitty, but it's also a way to keep from narrowing the perspective and keep it honest. because lying under oath gets you sent to pri.... well just ask Martha Stewart how lying pays off when you get to the top.\

This would also open the door for independent broadcasting that isn't tied to an org, which keeps the discussion relevant, and honest. Which it absolutely is not right now.

It also opens for real journalists to get brought in instead of low level hacks to feed stories to.

Anyway, it would establish independent ranking that is not tied in any way to financials, or any org.

I've also said that champions should never, under any circumstances be able to refuse to fight the next lower challenger if it's presented. You accept or lose your belt. And if you aren't defending it yearly, barring injury, you lose it, unless it's not the champions fault it can't be defended in that time, because that can happen.

But the bottom line is this will be a true global sport if the control is taken away from the orgs and forced to an outside agency, and orgs should be forced to adhere to an agreed format (must defend against contenders, and must defend every year) or risk losing sanctioning in the outside org that controls ranking.

EDIT: i should add, I didn't read most of my posts prior to this but I do see i made some, one exception is I read a part of my last post saying i don't think scoring will change. I realize my thoughts have probably changed, but the evolution of the sport, the strengthening of the orgs, bullshit like the Reebok deal and the introduction of things like the ALi Act force me to re-evaluate my opinions.

I know at one point I never thought the commissions would entertain changing scoring, and they not only considered it, they changed it. So it's all more possible than i thought.

Sakara=Excitement likes this.